Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

DerMutt wrote: »
    CMP is busy removing existing tarred sections on SRR side of things too. Is this because they need to re-profile or are there quality issues?

Saw the "tar spoil" today, on the north side of the new roadway, just before the SRR flyover (which indeed has lots of nice new tarmacked surface). I didn't see any signs of works on the eastbound old/N71 lanes (though it does rather need it in places, if you ask me), so I assume this was from the new/N40. Maybe just a temporary surface for the construction traffic. Good progress on the top sections of the barrier on the flyover, too.

IMG00158-20130714-2208.jpg

Roadworks on that very same spot tonight: looks like they're doing "breakthrough" for, and surfacing of, the slip road between the N40 and the N71. (Or between the different lanes, if it's all to be considered a single road, which I'm not entirely clear about.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Roadworks on that very same spot tonight: looks like they're doing "breakthrough" for, and surfacing of, the slip road between the N40 and the N71. (Or between the different lanes, if it's all to be considered a single road, which I'm not entirely clear about.)

they were working on the SRR this evening until 9:00pm. They've made progress with the lines etc.

Speaking of lines, coming from the airport via the KRR heading west is a nightmare - lanes closed and cones everywhere.

And as for the 60KPH speed-limit 300m further on - what a hoot that is. I was blown off the road by a BMW this evening - and I was doing 80 - he screamed past me and was easily doing 100KPH.

On several fronts, it'll be good to see the Flyovers open.

They were working later than that, up until just before time of posting -- say around 10:30 or so.

Commiserations on being out-sped on the speed-limited section. :) Wasn't much fun cycling on that section when it was down to one lane, lemme tell ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

blindsider wrote: »
    they were working on the SRR this evening until 9:00pm. They've made progress with the lines etc.

Speaking of lines, coming from the airport via the KRR heading west is a nightmare - lanes closed and cones everywhere.

And as for the 60KPH speed-limit 300m further on - what a hoot that is. I was blown off the road by a BMW this evening - and I was doing 80 - he screamed past me and was easily doing 100KPH.

On several fronts, it'll be good to see the Flyovers open.

its worse when you are going to Wilton, was in the far right (aka wilton lane) coming up to the roundabout when some ass in his audi decided to blow me out of it while driving so close i thought he'd hit me for daring to drive at 60km/h in the 'fast lane' its not like he had room to over take me in the first place we were that close to the roundabout and traffic was in both lanes :mad:

i hope it will be open by the time the college and schools go back in september.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

hoodwinked wrote: »
    its worse when you are going to Wilton, was in the far right (aka wilton lane) coming up to the roundabout when some ass in his audi decided to blow me out of it while driving so close i thought he'd hit me for daring to drive at 60km/h in the 'fast lane' its not like he had room to over take me in the first place we were that close to the roundabout and traffic was in both lanes :mad:

i hope it will be open by the time the college and schools go back in september.

I'm afraid all the flyovers in the world aren't going to get rid of as****es like that :D

More surfacing work again about 10pm tonight. Looked to be the last "patch" they'd need to have joined that sliproad up completely. In the interests of strict accuracy, and with the benefit of a slightly closer look, in marginally better light, and less in imminent fear of my life, I should note that the "tar spoil" is still there, and the slip road works were slightly further away from the SR flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Any sign of the Bandon to Sarsfield outer road being resurfaced. Seems to be one of the few remaining parts which is still on the old surface.

alanucc wrote: »
    Google maps have updated their aerial photos for Cork City within the last few days. Looks like the images were taken just before the bridge beams at Sarsfield were installed, as you can see them scattered around the site.

I noticed that too, but immediately doubted myself as to how long it'd been like that!

One bizarre thing, though... the N/S road through the BRR is still labelled "Waterfall Road". Huh? I'm pretty sure that name is taken!

Any sign of the Bandon to Sarsfield outer road being resurfaced. Seems to be one of the few remaining parts which is still on the old surface.

The eastbound carriageway? Nope, definitely not (apart from that area I mentioned where they're splicing and patching). Not only is it the old surface, there are several lateral strips of mismatch tarmac across it now, which are noticeably bumpy.

As with the roundabout layout itself, I wonder if that's something they have scheduled to do after the flyovers are open, at which point there will be a "free" relief road/diversion if there's a full or complete closure.

• Advertisement

Things are progressing nicely it seems....

Motorists are advised that significant traffic management measures will be put in place on the Cork South
    Ring Road overnight on Wednesday 17th July. The temporary arrangements will affect traffic heading east
    from the Bandon Road Roundabout. Motorists heading toward the Jack Lynch Tunnel will have the option
    of using a temporary lane of the Sarsfield Flyover – all other destinations will continue to be served via
    Sarsfield Road Roundabout as at present.

Directional signage will be in place immediately east of the Bandon Road Roundabout and motorists are
    asked to pay particularly close attention to both the directional signage and the speed limit within the works
    area while the temporary arrangement is in place.

The purpose of the temporary layout is to facilitate completion of works on the eastern side of the Sarsfield
    Flyover. It is anticipated that these works will take approximately one week to complete and motorists
    should note that An Garda Siochana will be on site throughout enforcing the works speed limit.

Details of further traffic management measures required to complete the scheme will be issued under further
    progress updates over the coming weeks.

From a CCC Update this p.m. -

Progressing noisily, at any rate! Jackhammers been going away madly since first thing this morning. Had a nose along the westbound section east of the SRR; it was down to one lane, with a huge tailback, and down to zero lanes at least briefly while they maneuvered some plant. Not clear what they were doing there, though the slip road in that quadrant (SE, diagonally opposite the one mentioned shortly upthread) looked to be already finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 j1mboj0nes

The right hand lane going east after the Bandon Road sent me on the flyover over the Sarsfield Road roundabout today. Here's a pic.

2eldqmr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sarsfield was the first open to the public so! Who'd a thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

TheChizler wrote: »

Haha, yeah, they really surprised us all there. Passing by about 2 weeks ago, I definitely wrote it off until August, but great progress over the last few days. Must take a trip out, assuming diversion is remaining in place for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

TheChizler wrote: »

This was the only partial opening possible, as I maintained some pages back. The reason being that the design is for:
    - Eastbound: Exit at Bandon Rd junction for Bandon Rd, Sarsfields Rd
    - Eastbound: Enter between Bandon Rd junction and Sarsfields Rd
    - Westbound: Exit between Sarsfields Rd and Bandon Rd for Bandon Rd

i.e. There will be no exit for Sarsfields Rd Eastbound, and no entrance before Bandon Road Westbound, so you'd have been sending traffic against the final flow to open Bandon Road junction on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

phatmanwc wrote: »
    Haha, yeah, they really surprised us all there. Passing by about 2 weeks ago, I definitely wrote it off until August, but great progress over the last few days. Must take a trip out, assuming diversion is remaining in place for a while?

Today only they said on 96FM

From my post #1002 on the previous page:

The temporary arrangements will affect traffic heading east
    from the Bandon Road Roundabout. Motorists heading toward the Jack Lynch Tunnel will have the option
    of using a temporary lane of the Sarsfield Flyover – all other destinations will continue to be served via
    Sarsfield Road Roundabout as at present.

Directional signage will be in place immediately east of the Bandon Road Roundabout and motorists are
    asked to pay particularly close attention to both the directional signage and the speed limit within the works
    area while the temporary arrangement is in place.

The purpose of the temporary layout is to facilitate completion of works on the eastern side of the Sarsfield
    Flyover. It is anticipated that these works will take approximately one week to complete

Just had a trundle around the roundabout, and back and forth to Dunnes; looks like we're down to one lane eastbound on the "N71", all the way to roundabout as opposed to the shorter coned section the previous couple of days, as well as the one "N40" lane over the flyover mentioned above. One lane of the "split personality" sliproads in the NE quadrants is coned off (the one closer to the flyover).

The roundabout itself seems to have partial lane closures at the moment, but that might be more transient: when I went one way, it was the inner lanes that were closed, and when I came back, the outer ones! And it was just one fellah on a cherry picker that seemed to be working on that bit. It's open in all directions, at any rate.

Didn't have either the energy or the death wish to go over the flyover, so didn't get a close look at what they're up to on the east side (though I can hear them jackhammering away, even as we type).

Well, we're not far off seeing completion of this project.

Anyone like to hasten a guess what the next major project we will see undertaken in Cork.

At a guess, the following few are the main ones.

- M20 Southern Section
    - N40 Northern Ring Road (M20 to M8 section)
    - Carrigtwohill to Midleton Interchanges and straightening
    - N22 Ballincollig to Macroom
    - Dunkettle Interchange

Dunkettle for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Well, we're not far off seeing completion of this project.

Anyone like to hasten a guess what the next major project we will see undertaken in Cork.

At a guess, the following few are the main ones.

- M20 Southern Section
    - N40 Northern Ring Road (M20 to M8 section)
    - Carrigtwohill to Midleton Interchanges and straightening
    - N22 Ballincollig to Macroom
    - Dunkettle Interchange

Dunkettle for me

Has to be dunkettle for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dunkettle would have a higher cost-benefit than any of the others but if the court case went through quickly then I would be tempted to say the N22 as a PPP of some sort.

Had a squint at what they're doing at the junction again. Didn't really see any work in progress, but yesterday I did notice that westbound between the SRR and BRR that they'd tarmacked the two remaining sections, to wit the slip between SR and the N71, and the second divided section leading up to where it peels off to Dunnes. Both still fenced off, but otherwise seem finished.

Today I had a look at the east side of the SRR. Surface on the slip from the roundabout is pretty terrible, and there's quite a lot of spoil between that and the flyover, but it's not obvious to me what's yet to be done on the flyover itself.

Incidentally, there's one sign rather obviously missing west of the BRR, which just the posts up for a while now, which will presumably be where they indicate the new layout. If they show signs of putting that up, I'd say the end is in sight...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Tedddy

According to an Engineer working on SRR flyover, it is expected to be open by Thursday to both directions of traffic. He said work has been delayed due to the ground sinking on the south side of the roundabout.

Any word on when the Bandon Roundabout flyover might be opening ?

Upland bog central, here. Doubtless after another few estates of houses have been sucked down into it, it'll eventually provide some sort of stable groundworks.

I'd assume that the BRR will open as soon as the SRR does (fully), given the apparent completion, lack of any works whatsoever, and the nature of the routing. If it's not just that it's waiting for, then I can only imagine it'd be fripperies like signage or Varadkars. Interesting if anyone's able to confirm that, though, either via official sources, or more social engineering of the engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Passed through in both directions this morning, almost all road markings are complete with the remainder dotted out for the line painting crew. This Thursday doesn't seem beyond the bounds of possibility...

Any sign of them resurfacing the outside carriageway between Bandon Roundabout and Sarsfield's Roundabout. As it is the road is still using the original surface laid down nearly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Got a mail there saying the flyovers should be open in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

According to Evening Echo facebook page, the flyovers will open at 6am tomorrow :D:D:D

Advertisement