Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I wasn't quite right when I said earlier that they'd fully tarmacked the eastbound entrance to the SRR; that actually happened more recently, when they filled in the "triangle" forming the third lane. On the northbound exit, the two lanes are a different level, so I assume they're adding an additional layer on the inside one, for sound reduction or some such.

The northbound entrance->westbound exit slip is still closed. The adjacent footpath seems to have had its railings finished. Not sure that else would need to be done before that's all opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Any updates on when all works will completed? I think I was focused on the actual flyovers beign completed to actually think of when the whole project would be complete.

Is the 60KPH limit still in effect because I don't see many driving less than 100KPH.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

Folks, anybody hear any rumours about major settlement in the flyovers since they opened, to the tune of about 7 inches. 5 inches more and they'll have to be closed down.

Could be urban myth but I've heard it from 2 different people. Hopefully it's not true. We'll be the laughing stock of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

anybody hear any rumours about major settlement in the flyovers since they opened, to the tune of about 7 inches. 5 inches more and they'll have to be closed down.

Probably an urban myth. What engineer would use anything an antediluvian as inches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Folks, anybody hear any rumours about major settlement in the flyovers since they opened, to the tune of about 7 inches. 5 inches more and they'll have to be closed down.

Could be urban myth but I've heard it from 2 different people. Hopefully it's not true. We'll be the laughing stock of the country

those rumours have been around all the way through construction. No truth at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

7 inches of settlement and you'd definitely feel it driving over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

ardmacha wrote: »
    Probably an urban myth. What engineer would use anything an antediluvian as inches?

Believe it or not, NASA still use imperial units to design spacecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Yes, the use of inches sounds like old man pub talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Believe it or not, NASA still use imperial units to design spacecraft.

To be fair NASA are based in USA where they use imperial measurements, as opposed to here where we are metric..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

How many cubits is it after sinking :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

dulpit wrote: »
    To be fair NASA are based in USA where they use imperial measurements, as opposed to here where we are metric..

Yes, but all measurements used for orbits and for spacecraft guidance are in metric units.

This confusion lead to a NASA spacecraft crashing after an engineering put a figure into the guidance computer in feet rather than meters.

The reason they still used imperial for spacecraft design is that the computer system used to work on the space shuttle is in imperial and it would cost circa $30m to convert it to metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Did NASA design the flyovers on the N40?

It is obviously pub talk as the critical figure is 7+5, i.e. one foot (a foot is 12 inches for younger folk).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

dulpit wrote: »

I thought that most scientists no matter where they are based use the Metric System.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Hogzy wrote: »
    I thought that most scientists no matter where they are based use the Metric System.

All except for a handful of space cadets.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Yes, but all measurements used for orbits and for spacecraft guidance are in metric units.

This confusion lead to a NASA spacecraft crashing after an engineering put a figure into the guidance computer in feet rather than meters.

The reason they still used imperial for spacecraft design is that the computer system used to work on the space shuttle is in imperial and it would cost circa $30m to convert it to metric.

Even worse - $370 million according to New Scientist:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17350-nasa-criticised-for-sticking-to-imperial-units.html#.UiX7HNKshcY

(I know we're going off on a tangent here)

I actually don't think there can be that much subsidence so far. It wouldn't all subside at the same rate surely? 7 inches in one or two spots would probably result in notable cracks and gaps opening up in the retaining walls of the flyover?

Hogzy wrote: »
    I think most of the English-speaking world is still deeply conflicted on this, just at different points on the "interface" between metric and standard/imperial units. Well, aside from non-scientists in the US on one extreme, and kids in primary school on the other, perhaps.

I had a lively discussion with a US scientist on this, who most certainly used metric in his work life, but was pretty gung ho about standard units for day-to-day purposes. But in different countries, there are also different physical legacies of the units: which products of "standardised" sizes are sold in a round number of metric units, as against round numbers of imperial.

In a sense, though, imperial units have already been "abolished": these days they're all officially defined in terms of metric equivalents anyway, and it's the metric units have have the official definitions in terms of physical constants, and reference weights. (Anyone see that BBC4 doc on measurement by that mad English mathematician bloke?)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

alaimacerc wrote: »
    In a sense, though, imperial units have already been "abolished": these days they're all officially defined in terms of metric equivalents anyway, and it's the metric units have have the official definitions in terms of physical constants, and reference weights. (Anyone see that BBC4 doc on measurement by that mad English mathematician bloke?)

Yes I have watched it. Quite interesting stuff.
    Officially there are only 3 countries in the world which, at least officially, didn't switch to metric system. Ironically apart from the US these are Myanmar and Liberia ;)

I especially enjoyed the bit with the mad buggers centrifuging silicon to insane purity, forming it into a monocrystal, then polishing it to atom-precision diameter and weight. Then counting the atoms. All to eliminate dependency on a platinum-rhodium yoke in a Paris safe that's slowly shedding. You'd never guess there were Germans involved...

But I digress. I noticed they'd diverted traffic on the northbound exit on the SRR to the outside lane. I assume that means they're working on resurfacing the other one. Anyone noticed any exciting developments more recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

murphym7 wrote: »
    Any updates on when all works will completed? I think I was focused on the actual flyovers beign completed to actually think of when the whole project would be complete.

Is the 60KPH limit still in effect because I don't see many driving less than 100KPH.

Anyway - back to the SRR and the flyovers. Any update on when this is all going to be complete?

Have to say its really made a massive difference to me already. I work in the Model farm road area and a buddy called me to pick him up from Douglas this morning as his car had broken down. Left the model farm road at 08:40 and was back from Doulgas and back at work at 09:05. Can you imagine doing that trip in that time of the morning pre-flyovers? No way. I wouldnt have even attempted it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Having driven over the two flyovers a few times since they were built I have to say I would not be surprised at the 7 inches of settlement theory, they feel very bumpy and are in no way smooth to drive over like the Kinsale road flyover.

• Advertisement

murphym7 wrote: »
    I was waiting to see if someone on the mailing list (I used to get leafleted, but none for a good while now) chimed in. I don't know if there's a particular date they're shooting for. Possibly the main contractors are done with their bit, and it's just the "tidy up" crew still working, in a more "relaxed" manner. Certainly aside from the resurfacing on SRR exit north that I mentioned, and moving a bunch of cones they have for artistic effect on the others, I don't see anything major that's still to be done. (Don't quote me on the state of the east of the junction; I don't see that anything like as often -- despite living within within what seems like inches of it when the traffic's in full voice.

The phrase "more honored in the breach than in the observance" springs to mind. At this stage you'd feel like you were being a hazard to navigation doing 60. Not thrilled about the single-lane restrictions on a bike, given the tendencies for impatient-seeming lines of traffic to form behind, so some de-coning there would be handy. Even if it just encourages people to do 120 (if not 150) rather than 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

A previous newsletter, issued just after the flyovers had opened to traffic, noted the following outstanding works:
    phatmanwc wrote: »
    Significant works remain outstanding including ground stabilisation works involving piling in the an area near the Headlands Apartments and also in an area at the south of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. These work items will be progressed after the August bank holiday weekend and traffic management details associated with the works will be circulated in advance in the normal way.

Anyone aware if these works have been completed? Aside from that, no mention as to the completion date of any additional works, although the following update was in my inbox this morning:

N40 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade

Progress Update
    Thursday 5th September 2013

Motorists are advised that surfacing works will be carried out today on the Northern side of the Sarsfield Road roundabout. Localised lane closures will be in place and slightly longer journey times should be anticipated. Traffic on the N40 South Ring mainline will not be affected.

As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspect of the scheme can contact us on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 during working hours or on the freephone helpline number 1800 932 046, or by email on n25@ccc-site.com.

A previous newsletter, issued just after the flyovers had opened to traffic, noted the following outstanding works:
    Oh yeah, that. Kinda important detail, if I don't want my kitchen to end up under the bog in due course. Good question. There was a fair bit of racket last night, so works might be underway in some form, but I'm not at all sure. I'll try to get a better squint at that area over the next couple of days. The need to do this might be one reason (along with the resurfacing) for why they have ongoing lane restrictions on parts of the junction that are apparently completely finished (like the west side of SRR).
    Anyone aware if these works have been completed? Aside from that, no mention as to the completion date of any additional works, although the following update was in my inbox this morning:
    NRA wrote:
    Motorists are advised that surfacing works will be carried out today on the Northern side of the Sarsfield Road roundabout. Localised lane closures will be in place and slightly longer journey times should be anticipated. Traffic on the N40 South Ring mainline will not be affected.
    You read it here first. :)

Line painters out this evening from what I infer that:

* They're done resurfacing the northbound exit of the SRR;
    * The grand wide eastbound entrance road, that I'd been assumed was two lanes temporarily coned down to one, is in fact being painted as a single lane. There's a big wide hard shoulder, and an "even harder shoulder" on the right side of the road, painted off with a solid line. Hopefully they'll therefore be rid of this set of cones soon, then, once the paint's dry. They're wandering all over the road, and they can't be required for traffic-choking purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

They really need to hurry up and open the three lanes. I was merging by the Cork Builders Providers here http://goo.gl/maps/52wv3 today.
    The cones make the merging really hard and the merging lane to small. I had no choice but to uncomfortable squeeze between two lorries or go through the cones. Merging at 60km/h during rush hour is a nightmare. 80km/h is the minimum I'd do it but normally you'll see me n the right hand lane :D

Is there any chance they'll extend the 120km/h speed limit after a while. It is three lanes after all and as straight as the current 120km/h zone, that was 100km/h initially and thats fine at 120km/h? I'm afraid the guards might choose to nestle their tripod on the hill before the 120km/h zone begins after the flyover to get traffic going westbound totally unnecessarily :(

Can't wait until its fully opened though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 user040913

Ballincollig bypass to Mahon point with the new flyovers:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

Days 298 wrote: »
    They really need to hurry up and open the three lanes. I was merging by the Cork Builders Providers here http://goo.gl/maps/52wv3 today.
    The cones make the merging really hard and the merging lane to small. I had no choice but to uncomfortable squeeze between two lorries or go through the cones. Merging at 60km/h during rush hour is a nightmare. 80km/h is the minimum I'd do it but normally you'll see me n the right hand lane :D
    It is the non-compliance with the 60km/h works speed-limit which is causing many of the merging problems; they really should have a speed camera at the beginning of each end of the works to enforce this, as there is no voluntary respect on the part of drivers. It is still a construction site, so the cones and speed limit are required.
    Days 298 wrote: »
    Is there any chance they'll extend the 120km/h speed limit after a while. It is three lanes after all and as straight as the current 120km/h zone, that was 100km/h initially and thats fine at 120km/h? I'm afraid the guards might choose to nestle their tripod on the hill before the 120km/h zone begins after the flyover to get traffic going westbound totally unnecessarily :(
    No. The distances between the junctions are too short and some of the on- and off-ramps are very short (i.e. not Motorway standard); therefore 100km/h is more than high enough. At some of the new junctions there is a danger of exiting traffic backing-up onto the main carriageway (e.g. Togher eastbound), similar to what sometimes happens at Douglas East (junction 8).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

120km/h would be way too high on this section, absolutely no need for it, and far too dangerous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

crc wrote: »
    It is the non-compliance with the 60km/h works speed-limit which is causing many of the merging problems; they really should have a speed camera at the beginning of each end of the works to enforce this, as there is no voluntary respect on the part of drivers. It is still a construction site, so the cones and speed limit are required.
    Do you have any idea when it'll be finished up?
    crc wrote: »
    No. The distances between the junctions are too short and some of the on- and off-ramps are very short (i.e. not Motorway standard); therefore 100km/h is more than high enough. At some of the new junctions there is a danger of exiting traffic backing-up onto the main carriageway (e.g. Togher eastbound), similar to what sometimes happens at Douglas East (junction 8).
    Fair enough. Bit near to the city centre and houses when I think about it.
    120km/h would be way too high on this section, absolutely no need for it, and far too dangerous...
    Fair enough, just wanted others thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 user040913

Can't ever see the south ring being upgraded to a motorway as from the Bandon road flyover to the Douglas flyover, junctions are too close together, short off lanes and short merging traffic lanes. They should probably concentrate on upgrading the older sections that are fairly worn at this stage and if at all possible add another lane each direction at the Douglas flyover which would be a major job to undertake but not impossible. Could be done if the electricity substation was relocated and with the acquisition of a strip of land currently part of the all weather pitch and tennis courts in Douglas community school and a one lane of the roadway that runs parallel with the new Douglas village shopping center.

Advertisement