Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This project is moving crazily slowly at the moment, they closed the pedestrian path alongside the at the beginning of October, with the intention of opening it 3 weeks later. Now they wont have it open till December.

No visible works at sarsfield rd for a month now.

The contractor's gone bust; there is unlikely to be any work happening for a very long time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/six-parties-express-interest-in-siac-as-group-enters-examinership-1.1585750

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

neddynasty wrote: »
    Since the flyovers are open a few momths now, schools are back, the hour has changed and we're heading deeper into winter, how is the traffic in the JL Tunnel these days? Has it settled down a bit from the days after the flyovers were opened? How does it compare now to pre-flyover days?

Absolutely savage. Very busy every evening. At the times it used to be backed up a few hundred metres towards Mahon, it's now backed up to the Bloomfield Interchange. It had settled down very quickly after the flyovers opened, so this may simply be more traffic on the roads (a la M50). One thing though is that, even though it's backed up further, it seems to be moving quicker than before. Also getting "semi back ups" now from the Douglas overpass heading East.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MYOB wrote: »
    The contractor's gone bust; there is unlikely to be any work happening for a very long time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/six-parties-express-interest-in-siac-as-group-enters-examinership-1.1585750
    Oh dear. The NRA or Cork City Council will need to step in to sort this mess out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I imagine there's at least one stage payment pending that the new owners after examinership would like to get their hands on - which would require completing the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

MYOB wrote: »

examinership is not bust, and there are still workers on site, just very few its progressing slowly there has been work done on the foothpaths on the bandon rd roundabout this week and last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Has anyone spotted while approaching the Sarsfield Roundabout from the East, ie from Kinsale Rd side. When going down the approach ramp to the roundabout (Sarsfields) that the fence to the left, tarmac and kerbing slabs beneath have dipped down.

kub wrote: »
    Has anyone spotted while approaching the Sarsfield Roundabout from the East, ie from Kinsale Rd side. When going down the approach ramp to the roundabout (Sarsfields) that the fence to the left, tarmac and kerbing slabs beneath have dipped down.

Yes that was an issue that was spotted during the summer, or last spring I cant remember, but they put in more supports under that section from the side in some additional works during the summer, I am not sure have they worked though.

You can see the additional works from sarsfield rd if you look over at the spot.

They have now changed the opening of that path alongside the road, to 20/12/2013.

That's 4 separate times they have pushed back the date on it. at this rate there is no hope of tidying up the sites by the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

well the mound of dirt on the wilton -> east road is growing a lovely cover of grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

Outstanding works are slowly but surely being completed, landscaping/final grading works being completed on the BRR at present, together with laying of pedestrian walkways etc.

As far as I'm aware, all lighting has now been installed; several of the units had been omitted during the main installation works, for some reason. Otherwise, landscaping works are required at the SRR, and a sign is missing at the eastbound on-ramp, coming from the BRR.

A couple of observations:

- I've noticed this elsewhere, but the paint they've used for the road markings seems very susceptible to discolouration from tyres, leading to a blackened appearance, making them hard to see in places.

- There has been discernable settlement along the entirety of the scheme since it was opened to traffic, leading to quite a few bumps, and a not so smooth driving surface. Nothing too bad, but a little disappointing at the same time...

- Traffic management measures are still in place, along with the supposed 60km/h limit on the mainline; time to remove these, perhaps?

As regards an official opening date, has anyone heard anything? Are we to expect a ceremony of any sorts, and a mention on the Six-One? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Traffic heading towards the Tunnel was shocking this evening being backed up to the Kinsale Rd flyover. Slightly off topic but you can download load the jack lynch tunnel app now for your phone where you can see the cameras live??

Truckermal wrote: »
    Traffic heading towards the Tunnel was shocking this evening being backed up to the Kinsale Rd flyover. Slightly off topic but you can download load the jack lynch tunnel app now for your phone where you can see the cameras live??

That is beginning to become a daily occurrence, please note those that doubted this would occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It had to happen IMO. Its a good thing in a way as it might speed up altering of the Dunkettle Interchange.

The N28 being built might make things even worse.

That is beginning to become a daily occurrence, please note those that doubted this would occur.

Seems to be a huge number of crashes and breakdowns recently as well on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

It had to happen IMO. Its a good thing in a way as it might speed up altering of the Dunkettle Interchange.

The N28 being built might make things even worse.

If traffic becomes mental every day to the Tunnel, you'd imagine Dunkettle would start moving up the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

The flyovers are opened for 5 months now and this has only been an issue the last few weeks.

I would put the recent traffic congestion there down to an increase in Christmas shoppers around Mahon and more importantly to the fact that very few commuters take the 2 weeks before Christmas off so most people are travelling in and out of work at this time of the year.

cork_south wrote: »
    I would put the recent traffic congestion there down to an increase in Christmas shoppers around Mahon and more importantly to the fact that very few commuters take the 2 weeks before Christmas off so most people are travelling in and out of work at this time of the year.

I wouldn't. The heavy congestion has been ongoing since late October. I've already said that the original congestion after the flyovers opened settled down quickly so I am not ascribing the 'blame' to them. I'm not sure what's causing it - but it's not Christmas shoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

I wouldn't. The heavy congestion has been ongoing since late October. I've already said that the original congestion after the flyovers opened settled down quickly so I am not ascribing the 'blame' to them. I'm not sure what's causing it - but it's not Christmas shoppers.

I think you missed the "more importantly" part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i think its a combination of factors tbh,

at the moment Christmas shopping is causing havoc, you have ballincollig, wilton, douglas and mahon on all this road, its a lot busier then ever before,

before that though you could see it was getting busier, traffic that would have avoided it or taken alternative routes would have heard from people "oh i go the flyover its much faster now" or just use it now its open so its natural it would get busier.

cork_south wrote: »
    I think you missed the "more importantly" part.

I think you missed the "2 weeks" part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AlonzoHarris

I use the road twice a day. It has only become very heavily congested the last 2/3 weeks.

Traffic through Blackrock to Mahon for example is backed up towards the lights on the Skehard road up by the Silver Key some days due to heavy congestion in and around Mahon point.
    It can take 35 minutes to get from the Silver Key to the South Ring via Skehard road at peak times.
    This has only started occurring in the last 2/3 weeks and is down to the amount of people shopping in Mahon at the moment.

It is obvious this congestion has a knock on affect on the South Ring heading towards the Jack Lynch Tunnel.
    As more and more cars flow out from Mahon point at a slower pace, this increases the tailback (heading northbound) on the South Ring back to the Kinsale roundabout.

I would wait to see what traffic is like on the road by late January before drawing any conclusions here, especially as the road has not had any major congestion problems in the last 6 months up until recently.

Well they opened the path alongside the rd from bandon to sarsfield, that was closed the last few months.

All resurfaced, they did a decent job with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I don't recall seeing any 60 kmh signs on the Wilton to KRR stretch this afternoon, was it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

There's a 60KPH sign as you join the N40 from Wilton (Eastbound), and there's one somewhere after the KRR (Westbound) but they do seem to have removed some others. It's certainly not indicated as well as it was.

The cones at Wilton (eastbound) are a pain - they confuse more than anything.

Also, the alignment of the dividing line as you exit the N40 at Wilton (westbound) is awful IMO. It seems to give priority to the N40 lane, at the expense of traffic exiting the N40 for Wilton. Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

blindsider wrote: »
    Also, the alignment of the dividing line as you exit the N40 at Wilton (westbound) is awful IMO. It seems to give priority to the N40 lane, at the expense of traffic exiting the N40 for Wilton. Anyone else notice this?
    Well the idea behind the flyover is that it's the main road by default, you exit it to go to Wilton, instead of having to make a conscious effort to go over the flyover coming from either direction, if I'm understanding you correctly. That exit to Wilton is very poor though, very last minute and lanes not immediately obvious.

I suppose that is a consequent of cramming the flyover into a limited space.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AlonzoHarris

I've been back to work since January 3rd.
    I have been going through the tunnel from the West as usual around 5.20PM.

While heading in the same direction at the same time just before Christmas the queue was building near Rochestown Park Hotel and further back towards the Kinsale flyover.

I have not seen any traffic build up at the tunnel like what was seen pre-
    Christmas in 2014.
    In fact, from what I have seen the queue has not even gone as far as the Mahon slip road.

Must say alot of the footpath work isn't great, there are parts of it breaking away already by the elmvale to sarsfield road roundabout side.

Also with the wet weather sections were flooded all over Christmas, but they might not be permament sections so will have to wait and see how that develops.

I've been back to work since January 3rd.
    I have been going through the tunnel from the West as usual around 5.20PM.

While heading in the same direction at the same time just before Christmas the queue was building near Rochestown Park Hotel and further back towards the Kinsale flyover.

I have not seen any traffic build up at the tunnel like what was seen pre-
    Christmas in 2014.
    In fact, from what I have seen the queue has not even gone as far as the Mahon slip road.

You must be lucky so that you missed the tail back as far back as the Magic Roundabout from the tunnel yesterday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You must be lucky so that you missed the tail back as far back as the Magic Roundabout from the tunnel yesterday evening.

I was just going to say the same, I got caught in that too. Since the flyovers opened I think I have been stuck on top of the magic roundabout flyover 7/8 times. Some for crashes some for no apparent reason, like Wed evening was.

Advertisement