Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options
1404142434446»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

alaimacerc wrote: »

Hard to tell from the photos - but is that part of the flyover ? Or on the flat -
    I know the ground conditions were pretty poor for road building - hence all the piling , geo-textile and huge amount of infill that went in - suppose a bit of settling /movement is to be expected but how much is too much ( and it only new) ?
    Didn't the contractor go bust ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Markcheese wrote: »
    Hard to tell from the photos - but is that part of the flyover ? Or on the flat -
    On the flat. Or what's supposed to be "flat", at least! You can see the (SR) flyover in the background (we're looking east), beyond the reverse side of the large gantry sign, and the grass of the embankment immediately to the right (south) of the footpath. BR flyover is some ways behind us.

For once my bikeputer sorta cooperated with being used as a trundle wheel (though for some reason I had it in a mode that only displays to the nearest 10m). The cracked section is about 50m long, and the largest crack, 30m. It's 400m from the SRR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Markcheese wrote: »
    I know the ground conditions were pretty poor for road building - hence all the piling , geo-textile and huge amount of infill that went in - suppose a bit of settling /movement is to be expected but how much is too much ( and it only new) ?
    ?

The name "Newlands" of course comes from the fact that this is cutaway bog, but perhaps still not ideal for road building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's still under warranty I assume. Looks like a potentially expensive repair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

The name "Newlands" of course comes from the fact that this is cutaway bog, but perhaps still not ideal for road building.

That one is in Dublin not Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

The name "Cork" is the English version of "Corcaigh", which is Irish for "marsh". Definitely not ideal for road building.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

That is true, but Corks float :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The name "Cork" is the English version of "Corcaigh", which is Irish for "marsh". Definitely not ideal for road building.
    This is a different bog. :)

When they built the SRR at Sarsfield Road they took out 9 metres of peat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well technically Corcach (Corcaigh = genitive case) can also translate as Morass ;)

• Advertisement

Wellwellwell. They seem to have ended their "watch and wait" strategy and decided this is locally patchable, without any additional "shoring up" operations. Left lane and hard shoulder in the effected area being surfaced, with the top layer still to be done when I noticed this yesterday evening.

g3FjPhVBNHmuaGxRPAbABGQM-i3dODgBNlVv6xddiRdu=w1366-h314-no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

That or the bump is too significant to wait around.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    That or the bump is too significant to wait around.

Well, true, ours is not to reason why, etcetc. Maybe the NRA just had 50m left in the "random bits of resurfacing" budget last month!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Both flyovers closed both ways a few minutes ago and diggers on top of sarsfield road roundabout. Anybody know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Drove over both sides there a while ago and I *think* there was a new finish in on the east bound side (about a meter wide) - suprised it was done so fast though (and I did the same trip on Friday and I dont remember it being there)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Drove over both sides there a while ago and I *think* there was a new finish in on the east bound side (about a meter wide) - suprised it was done so fast though (and I did the same trip on Friday and I dont remember it being there)

Yeah drove over a while ago and they've resurfaced the joint of where the bridge section meets the ramp section. I had noticed there was a bigger and bigger bump there as everything settled especially in the last week or two. They did it very quickly as you say!

Advertisement