Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Geogregor wrote: »
    Guys, could someone living locally take pictures how it all looks before the start of the works? It would be nice for comparisons before and after. It would also be useful for forumers like myself as I've never been in Cork.
    MrDerp wrote: »
    Just came on myself to ask that very thing. I'm from the area but living in Dublin. Would love to see this progress in photos. I'm down in Cork once a month, on average, but always mental busy trying to see family dotted around the city and county.

It being a busy DC, it's pretty hard to get good contextual shots. But here's the approach to the Sarsfield Roundabout, as you head west, half an hour ago:

DSCF4247.jpg

DSCF4248.jpg

The tailbacks can be well over a kilometre at both sides, with three lanes jammed. The concrete bridge you see is for pedestrians; it will be demolished during the construction works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

spacetweek wrote: »
    What you describe is more commonly seen in Asia and the Americas, where visual instrusion in urban areas is tolerated a lot more. I dunno if it'd be a good idea in a euro city and "rollercoaster" is exaggerated.

Try M4 London, M3 Belfast for starters, in fact the concept is quite common throughout Europe where a thru' motorway or dual carriageway passes over multiple surface junctions or roundabouts and even houses (admittedly probably not to nice for those living underneath), factories and shopping areas, perhaps they're all out of step except our 'johnny'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Tremelo wrote: »
    The tailbacks can be well over a kilometre at both sides, with three lanes jammed. The concrete bridge you see is for pedestrians; it will be demolished during the construction works.

I know it well being a frequent Dublin - Macroom traveller. Excellent decision to prioritise these two junctions in these straightened times.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I The concrete bridge you see is for pedestrians; it will be demolished during the construction works.

Could be the first completely removed (rather than totally rebuilt) entry for the plaques thread, I'm nearly sure I got a pic of the plaque before...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Try M4 London, M3 Belfast for starters, in fact the concept is quite common throughout Europe where a thru' motorway or dual carriageway passes over multiple surface junctions or roundabouts and even houses (admittedly probably not to nice for those living underneath), factories and shopping areas, perhaps they're all out of step except our 'johnny'.

The areas underneath elevated city highways are noted for being grim examples of urban blight. I think the way the NRA designs urban motorways is top-of-the-class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I've just created an account on the Flickr site and uploaded some photos that I took while in Cork during April - there are 10 photos of the Sarsfield pedestrian/Cycle bridge, the roundabout and approach roads. On approach from the Wilton Roundabout towards Sarsfield, the "Rainbow Bridge" comes to mind - alas, it won't for much longer as the N25 upgrade works are under way.

Once the actual physical work starts, I guess the "Rainbow Bridge" will be one of the first things to go in order to make way for a realigned Sarsfield Roundabout. One would guess that in order to make space for flyover construction, work on the roundabouts and service roads would have to be done first - the Sarsfield Bridge is in the way of even these works let alone the flyovers. Here's a record of this iconic bridge:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65161583@N06/

The name "Irish and Proud" is already taken on Flickr, so my alias there is "Irish Road Flicks" - Enjoy while the bridge lasts!

I'll be down in Cork again, probably during August - the next snaps will probably be of the bridge's demolition - if I'm lucky that is! I'll for one will miss it, but the N25 upgrade is needed badly I believe.

Great shots. You somehow managed to make the rainbow bridge seem half decent looking. You've also saved me the hassle of walking it in the next few days before it's demolished to snap a few pics.

Looks like it'll be replaced by a pedestrian underpass.

I wonder if they'll start with the Bandon Roundabout or the Sarsfield one, or whether they'll do them simultaneously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

in fact the concept is quite common throughout Europe where a thru' motorway or dual carriageway passes over multiple surface junctions or roundabouts and even houses

You could go so far as to say that the Douglas bypass section of the N25 is just such a road!

Tremelo - in all likelihood, they's actually start the heavy work away from the junctions, by widening the route to allow for traffic to be routed away from the existing carraigeway, before hacking lumps out of the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Great shots. You somehow managed to make the rainbow bridge seem half decent looking. You've also saved me the hassle of walking it in the next few days before it's demolished to snap a few pics.

I wonder if they'll start with the Bandon Roundabout or the Sarsfield one, or whether they'll do them simultaneously.

:D

Ya right. You know damned well that you'll be there, camera in tow. Once the bug hits again you'll be back to stealing cars and robbing pensioners for bus fare to get down and take weekly snaps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

niloc1951 wrote: »
    They are out of step. In many cities that built it that way, there are plans to remove it. It's visually intrusive and the needs of residents trump those of motorists.

• Advertisement

Actually, if anybody really wants to geek out over elevated 'expressways' in Cork, have a look for the BKS study from 1969. It essentially recommended the destruction of a swath of the city centre, and the construction of a system of urban motorways, inculding an elevated expressway and interchange on the North quays (to the west of the railway station). It was never built, both because of the lack of funds and because of the fact that it was clear that it would fundamentally change the city.

In reality it was a major contributor to the advent of the LUTS plan and thence to CASP, as it made it clear to everyone that unless there were real changes, the city and surrounding region would grind to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Eeek:eek: Local scallies will be already hatching plans to rob old ladies and sell drugs as we speak!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

murphym7 wrote: »
    Eeek:eek: Local scallies will be already hatching plans to rob old ladies and sell drugs as we speak!:)

They'll need Scuba gear. That area is a bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Aidan1 wrote: »
    Actually, if anybody really wants to geek out over elevated 'expressways' in Cork, have a look for the BKS study from 1969. It essentially recommended the destruction of a swath of the city centre, and the construction of a system of urban motorways, inculding an elevated expressway and interchange on the North quays (to the west of the railway station). It was never built, both because of the lack of funds and because of the fact that it was clear that it would fundamentally change the city.

In reality it was a major contributor to the advent of the LUTS plan and thence to CASP, as it made it clear to everyone that unless there were real changes, the city and surrounding region would grind to a halt.

I've often heard about this. They planned to put a motorway straight through the city centre.

Anyone know where I could view this. Anyone have a copy of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I've often heard about this. They planned to put a motorway straight through the city centre.

Anyone know where I could view this. Anyone have a copy of it ?

You can see a drawing of what one of the sections would have looked like in the Atlas of Cork City.

I think there were plans to fill in the Grand and Royal Canals in Dublin for conversion to motorways at around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

You can see a drawing of what one of the sections would have looked like in the Atlas of Cork City.

I think there were plans to fill in the Grand and Royal Canals in Dublin for conversion to motorways at around the same time.

I'm hoping either City, County or the UCC library has a copy. Love to see it.

I'm hoping either City, County or the UCC library has a copy. Love to see it.

All three probably have; UCC certainly has. The author is a geographer there. Good thing those plans were never implemented. The proposed roads would have been ghastly beyond measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Link to an Archiseek thread that shows a map for the plans for Dublin, including dual-carriageways parallel to sections of the canals:

http://irish-architecture.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4408&p=41573

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Just came across this by accident, from build.ie

Irish Industry News

28/07/2011€60m N25 South Ring Road Scheme On Track

A sod turning ceremony is expected to take place this Friday, the 29th of July, for the €60 Million N25 South Ring Road Sarsfield Road to Bandon Road, Road Improvement Scheme in Cork. The project involves the upgrading of the N25 South Ring Road in Cork between the Kinsale Road Interchange and the Ballincollig Bypass Scheme.
    The project will also include the provision of grade separated junctions at the Sarsfield Road Roundabout and the Bandon Road Roundabout and the provision of parallel link roads between the roundabouts.

Main contractor, Siac Construction Limited has been appointed to undertake work on the scheme, which is expected to take in the region of 24 months to complete.

Link: http://www.build.ie/construction_news.asp?newsid=129679

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Link to an Archiseek thread that shows a map for the plans for Dublin, including dual-carriageways parallel to sections of the canals:

http://irish-architecture.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4408&p=41573

Well the plan there was to fill in the canals. They would be used as bed for proposed motorways that would go all the way out to the "M50".

• Advertisement

All three probably have; UCC certainly has.

Don't know if there's one in UCC (staff in the Geography may have a copy, but I never found one in the library there), but there's certainly one in the City Library.

MINISTER FOR Transport Leo Varadkar has turned the sod on works on the N25 Cork southern ring road, which it is anticipated will bring a major reduction in journey times.

The proposed scheme is the final link to a free-flowing route from the western end of the N22 Ballincollig bypass to the northern end of the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

The N25 South Ring Interchanges Scheme comprises the upgrading of 3km of the route and involves the demolition of footbridges at the Bandon and Sarsfield Road roundabouts and the construction of parallel link roads.

“This project will improve road safety, inter-regional connectivity and improve the quality of life for people living and working in Co Cork,” Mr Varadkar said.

“With an investment of €98 million on the construction of the N25 Cork Southern Ring Road, it is tangible evidence of this Government’s commitment to road safety and economic growth.”

National Roads Authority chief executive Fred Barry said: “The N25 Cork Southern Ring Road project will deliver more consistent journey times to and through the Cork region by providing a high quality link between the N22 and N71 in the southwest with the N8, N25 and N28.”

Gerard Goodwin, senior engineer with Cork City Council, said the new stretch of road would be of motorway standard, although it had not yet been decided whether the route would be upgraded to a motorway.

“At the moment, there is severe congestion for most of the year at those two roundabouts,” Mr Goodwin said. “The new works will eliminate all of these and create a free flow of traffic. We estimate that journey times will be reduced by 75 per cent at peak times.”

During the Minister’s visit, Cork Chamber president John Mullins called on Mr Varadkar to publish an integrated transport policy for an exporting economy that established the sustainable funding basis for infrastructure.He called on all Cork Ministers, TDs and elected officials to show their support in opposing the introduction of an opportunistic toll on the Jack Lynch Tunnel. “Tolling will have significant adverse affect on users, operators and the general public.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0730/1224301619127.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Interesting that they're considering upgrading it to motorway. Not realistic until Dunkettle is done though.

Work is concentrated on the new parallel lanes westbound between the Sarsfield and Bandon roundabouts at the moment. Not much to see from the current road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Work is concentrated on the new parallel lanes westbound between the Sarsfield and Bandon roundabouts at the moment. Not much to see from the current road.

I see a lot of cones in place near the Bandon roundabout also Siac fencing in place. I should be able to get some pics of the future progress.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

A lot of clearing up work being done at the moment. They've cleared most of the ditch/hedging on the westbound side of the dual carrigway. Seems to be plenty of space over there. Only noticed how much once they started clearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

Most of the work is taking place on the southern side of the road between the Bandon and Sarsfields roundabouts at present. They have blocked off the hard shoulder between the two roundabouts west-bound. This makes it very dangerous for us commuter cyclists who are now being forced out into the very heavy traffic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

This makes it very dangerous for us commuter cyclists who are now being forced out into the very heavy traffic :(
    easy fixed.

slap one of these signs on the road and no longer will cyclists be in danger!

r5-6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

easy fixed.

slap one of these signs on the road and no longer will cyclists be in danger!

r5-6.gif

Clearly not a cyclist then? :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Clearly not a cyclist then? :rolleyes:.
    I am but any roads where i am (Munich by the way) which are as busy as the south ring and not designed in any way shape or form to accomodate cyclists have a ban on cyclists and other slow moving or non motorised traffic.
    It means having to take some long badly signed detours at times but the restriction means you arent competing with vehicular traffic on one of the busiest roads in the country.
    So its being cruel to be kind.

Advertisement