Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock 2 DLC is content that's already on the disc

Options
  • 12-03-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bioshock-2s-dlc-on-disc-already-article

So you're essentially paying extra to unlock something that's already sitting there on the disc you've already paid for. I don't really have any problem with the DLC model when it adds significantly to a game and enhances its lifespan. The concern has always been that developers would hold back portions of the game to sell to gamers at a later stage, but when they're artificially preventing you from playing part of the game that you've already paid for as is sitting there ready to go on your disc, then I have to draw the line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I don't see the difference between this and DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well DLC is being sold as a bonus, something that the developers have generally worked on after the game is complete to prolong its lifespan. This is just holding back part of a game that's already there and has already been paid for and could be the start of a slippery slope where you have to pay an extra €5 to unlock the multi-player mode or the final boss. The content is there, it's been created as part of the development process yet it's being held back to wring a few more euros or dollars from their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Maybe because its just 'C' (without the 'DL') ??

The down side for the publishers is that some enterprising spotty teenager will figure out how to unlock it without paying for it (and make that patch available to the world, free of charge).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

DLC is a scam and a joke... Another way for the companies to rob you, especially when they charge you 60 quid for a game already. It's a load of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Mr E wrote: »
    Maybe because its just 'C' (without the 'DL') ??

The down side for the publishers is that some enterprising spotty teenager will figure out how to unlock it without paying for it (and make that patch available to the world, free of charge).

Nah, it won't be a teenager doing this but a middle aged computer technician/expert. ;)

• Advertisement

So whether the content is on the disk or not is irrelevant, in fact as Mr E duly pointed out, it could work out in favor of the (pirating) customer.

The issue here is that they made this content when they were making the whole game. I don't agree with it either but they developers can do whatever they want in reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,307 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Grimebox wrote: »
    I don't see the difference between this and DLC.
    Its like selling you a V8 Hemi as a V6 and then telling you after you buy it that you can turn on the V8 Mode for an extra $1800.

Its like Selling you a microwave dinner and in order to open up the part with the brownie in it, you need to an unlock code you can buy online for the low low price of a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Overheal wrote: »
    Its like selling you a V8 Hemi as a V6 and then telling you after you buy it that you can turn on the V8 Mode for an extra $1800.

Its like Selling you a microwave dinner and in order to open up the part with the brownie in it, you need to an unlock code you can buy online for the low low price of a euro.

Its like selling you a program and telling you if you pay a little extra money you get the pro version. Oh, wait. They have been doing that for years.

Its like buying a car and paying that little bit extra for leather, air con, alloys. No hold on, same thing again.

I fail to see the problem, if you don't want to pay for it then don't.

I don't really agree with your analogies. Your implying that they sold us more than Bioshock 2 and advertised the extra DLC (or whatever it is) as if it came with the original. They announced it afterwards just like any other DLC. They didn't have massive parts of the game obviously blocked off (or did they?? i've yet to finish it!)

Imagine walking around the Rapture and finding a vending machine with "Super amazing plasmids for only $100!" You go to pay and realise its not game money they want... The end is nigh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

this isnt anything new, didnt resident evil 5 do the same thing and quite a number of other titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't really agree with your analogies. Your implying that they sold us more than Bioshock 2 and advertised the extra DLC (or whatever it is) as if it came with the original. They announced it afterwards just like any other DLC. They didn't have massive parts of the game obviously blocked off (or did they?? i've yet to finish it!)

Imagine walking around the Rapture and finding a vending machine with "Super amazing plasmids for only $100!" You go to pay and realise its not game money they want... The end is nigh

Exactly, the analogy is flawed.

Its a scam, if its on the disc it shouldn't charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,307 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No my analogy on the car was accurate. They sold you a disc as Game X but it was really Game X+Y and to get to the extra stuff you need to pay for it - Surprise! \o/

Imagine a Final Fantasy game where they make you pay for all the sidequests. After already paying full boat for the release. Oh, and the side stuff was already on the disc.

Seriously though. If they were to do Final Fantasy X say all over again next week, all those extra 100 hours of Additional Content would have been axed or held back - the endgame dungeons where you need to be fully leveled and **** to complete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

bioshock was such a let down dont pay for the extra content - Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

wait for the hack

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No my analogy on the car was accurate. They sold you a disc as Game X but it was really Game X+Y and to get to the extra stuff you need to pay for it - Surprise! \o/

Imagine a Final Fantasy game where they make you pay for all the sidequests. After already paying full boat for the release. Oh, and the side stuff was already on the disc.

Seriously though. If they were to do Final Fantasy X say all over again next week, all those extra 100 hours of Additional Content would have been axed or held back - the endgame dungeons where you need to be fully leveled and **** to complete

What about if you have a digital only copy? :p

I have not a big fan of the whole DLC business model myself, however I can see why people are pissed off out this, it reflects badly bad on 2K games has been a PR disaster, alhough I agree with others that technically they have done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

DLC when done properly can such as Fallout 3 can add replay value to a game but when done badly such as holding back minute and already developed content such as the original Dragons Age DLC is just a money grabbing exercise.

This case tho where the content is already on the product's disc is just a total rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

I don't see the difference between this and downloadable DLC. Developers have been doing this for a while, where content has already been developed and instead of putting it on the original disk they hold back a few weeks and then release it.

If the DLC is on the disc it saves me some space on my hard drive, which is ok with me.

Most DLC is a rip off anyway, the only DLC that I would buy is either new maps or something that adds to the story, other than that I couldn't be bothered, especially with new masks that don't add anything to the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm in the "stop complaining it's no big deal" camp. Where the data is located is completely irrelevant. Unless they specifically advertised feature X, and it turns out you have to pay to unlock feature X, there is no problem. Thinking that the extra content being located on the disk is relevant really shows little more than ignorance about the nature of software. In this age of digital distribution the source of the data is completely irrelevant.

You pay for the right to experience a video game, they decide what that game is comprised of. If they want to offer further content for additional cost that is their right. It is also your right to decline that offer.

The only complaint I would make is the intrusion DLC can create in the gameplay. It annoyed me playing Dragon Age, starting a conversation only for it to announce that I'll need to download extra content. My complaint is not about being denied the extra content, it is the irritation of having the offer intruding into the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

he only DLC that I would buy is either new maps or something that adds to the story, other than that I couldn't be bothered, especially with new masks that don't add anything to the experience

I wouldnt agree on new maps if we are talking multiplayer. I find more often then not buying them goes to waste cause you need a substantial number of other online players to buy the dlc aswell to get the maps into something of a somewhat consistent rotation.

Actually most multiplayer dlc in my opinion is not worth it unless you already know it has the numbers behind it, otherwise you are paying for something which you might possible have no one to play it with...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I wouldnt agree on new maps if we are talking multiplayer. I find more often then not buying them goes to waste cause you need a substantial number of other online players to buy the dlc aswell to get the maps into something of a somewhat consistent rotation.

Actually most multiplayer dlc in my opinion is not worth it unless you already know it has the numbers behind it, otherwise you are paying for something which you might possible have no one to play it with...

Well that was the case with the Bioshock 2 Downloaded Content (or should it just be Content :D ). Since the extra character models and weapon addons have to be seen by every player to prevent sectioning off players from one another, there would have had to be a d/l patch containing all the files anyway, but those who pay would get access to the bonuses. this just saves time and download for players. Add to that Sony and Microsofts policies on large payches through PSN/XBLA (its either devs get 2 free patches over 250Mb or they have to pay for large patch downloads, not 100% sure).

And for those whining that "Its on the disc, I payed for the disc, I should get free access to it", how come there was no complaining about this until the DLC went live on Thursday?? Surely if you are complaining this much you only bought the game under the assumption that these 2 characters and the extra bonuses were open to everyone since they were on the disk!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

This is true. But people hardly buy DLC (specifically multiplayer DLC) just for the sake of it. You're only going to buy the DLC if you enjoy the game and there's enough of a player base there to get your moneys worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

this is bulls*it! i thought they wount do such obviuos rip off!!! I KNEW THEY WILL START DOING THIS!!!

they just ripping of more money, and i respected them for bioshock, feck that!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I've never bought DLC nor will I ever. It's all Horse Armour as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

It doesn't matter where the DLC is located. 2K did it because their game structure requires all players to have the DLC. They didn't want to split the playerbase. If it was DLC not already on disc,you wouldn't see any of the new characters while playing without DLC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember a time when we got this stuff for free. The only people doing that now seem to be valve with TF2. Better to supporta game and build up a community. In most cases with DLC the customer is being made bend over and take it and there's a few sheep accepting it. Holding developed levels back is a scam. I didn't mind paying for Fallout 3 DLC because it provided something fresh and substantial for my money.

More like micro rapeactions.
    It doesn't matter where the DLC is located. 2K did it because their game structure requires all players to have the DLC. They didn't want to split the playerbase. If it was DLC not already on disc,you wouldn't see any of the new characters while playing without DLC

Complete arse, dlc already splits the playerbase. A batch couldeasily have put the models into everyones game and only let dlc owners use them. I also remember a time when at worse player skins were unlockable/user made.

Advertisement