Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Innovation Taskforce and DCENR differ by 998Mb/s

Options
  • 12-03-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

The Taskforce believes that a significant improvement in the quality of broadband is essential. The applications of the future (e.g. cloud computing) will demand much higher speeds, symmetric services (similar upload and download speeds),low latency (speed of response of the system to the user) and uncontended access (user does not have to share bandwidth with other users due to network constraints).
    This requires significant investment. Investment by operators in upgrading the local access networks (from the network backbones to customer premises) is currently disappointing.
    11.1 Key recommendation
    Given the critical need for advanced broadband services in building a highly innovative enterprise sector, the nationwide roll-out of Next Generation Network (NGN) services, for bandwidth up to and surpassing 1Gbps, should be prioritised.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Innovation_Taskforce/Report_of_the_Innovation_Taskforce.pdf

Peter O'Neil from DCENR had previously made a presentation to the Innovation Task Force and Dr Chris Horn (task force member) discussed some issues with him afterwards, which Horn mentions in his blog.

……I also noted that in my view, over the next few years, the provision and adoption of cloud computing based services to the general SME sector will drive broadband adoption and demand for yet higher speeds than currently. I also noted that many of the broadband services we have today are asymmetric, with slower upload speeds than download, and that cloud computing adoption may require that this imbalance be addressed, together with the possible contention problems of sustained access for businesses. Peter noted these comments, and I was left feeling that DCENR have probably not yet appreciated the likely impact of cloud computing on our national broadband architecture.

Advertisement