Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing/Midwifery - Was It Worth It?

Options
  • 12-03-2010 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Just want to ask anyone who's completed (or almost finished) the course if they've any regrets starting in the first place. Did you handle it? Was it everything you expected? Was it really worth it in the end? Did you or many others drop out altogether? Please be honest. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It would be helpful if you could say why you are asking? Do you regret that you even considered nursing, or that the course was a disappointment but you still want to go ahead with a career? Or do you mean that you found the course difficult/badly presented/disappointing and that has put you off.

Are you coming up to your finals and feeling stressed out? Don't waste your years of study, just concentrate on getting through and forget your doubts for the moment, you can consider your future after you have finished exams, but a degree will always be of benefit.

Sorry if I have taken you up wrong and what I am saying is not relevant, but I think it would be easier to answer if you were a bit more specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TERRIC

Sorry to have had you guessing. About to embark on 4 years of study (midwifery) and love to get some honest feedback on the course and the career - good and bad.

Without analysing too much, I seem to be filled with doubts about the direction I'm headed in but nerves are a huge contributor too. I know I'm entitled to have doubts and I'm glad that I can be realistic. I was just hoping others who have 'been there, done that' can help me see through the fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Hey Terric

Well I am ALMOST finished first year Midwifery!!

You want honesty??? It has been the toughest year of my life... and thats only first year...cant even begin to think what it will be like in 3rd & 4th year.. its a 100% full on full time course, absolutely no slacking, no room for days off here and there.. when you are on placement, there is no room or no exceptions whatsoever for missing days..
    13 hour shifts are a killer, but the day flies in... my day starts at 5.30am when i start my commute to the hospital and 10.30pm when i get home, its exhausting.. the worst is, while on placement on our days off we have to worry about studying and doing assignments, thats the part I find hardest..

Are you a mature student? do u have kids? I have 2... its tough on family life

BUT, the positives!
    Its a lovely course.. as in if its something you have always wanted to do, then you will enjoy it!
    No point saying its a bed of roses because it most definitely is not... our 4th years have told us its a long hard road... determination is the key....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 leah24

I really hope i get a place...have to pass the assessment and interview first though....very anxious waiting around! Its good to hear you being honest......I have two kids nad was in hospital quite alot during my pregnancies due to kidney problems and the midwives always worked so hard and such long hours but they always looked content in wat they were doing. I have always wanted to be a midwife but since having my second child I wont stop til I become a midwife. Its good to hear about someone who is doing it with a family,Im worried it'll put a strain on my relationship and my relationship with my kids!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TERRIC

Thanks for your honesty Mumtoe&e.
    I'll be in your shoes next year and it's good to be under no illusions...
    Best of Luck in your exams xx

• Advertisement
Advertisement