Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Clonmel heading down the drain?

Options
  • 12-03-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

Doesn't seem to be any life in the town whatsoever(influenced by the recession a bit yes)

Shops closing down left right and center. New shopping center that seems a bit too quite during the week. Yet people still head off to Kilkenny, limerick, waterford to do their shopping.

Night life gone to the Dogs. Many places quite until very late and a certain Nightclub has turned the 4th Bar into a scumbag hostel on a Saturday night.
    People give out about the choice of going out spots and yet their is a couple of bars with good quality bands on a friday night and yet the crowds wont come. Many heading to other towns to go out.

Danger of the Hospital having its services removed.

The centre of the town seems to draw in the scumbags and nobody else.

The numbers on the Dole is growing by the week.

No action by the council to try and lift the gloom. i.e. reduce rates, free parking.

So what can be done. What will make the people of the town start coming out wheter it be day or night and spending money<what little to spare they have> in their own town and breading a bit of life back into it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I wouldn't go that far,every Town is having a similar experience during this severe recession tbh,some are a lot worse than Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

tippspur wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far,every Town is having a similar experience during this severe recession tbh,some are a lot worse than Clonmel.

Do you not think that the life is being sucked out of the town no life in it at all. I'm very familiar with another town of similar size and population, that being Tralee. To see the difference between the two it makes you wonder and become a little disappointed with how clonmel is handling the recession although it was already in trouble before the recession just not as severe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Doesn't seem to be any life in the town whatsoever(influenced by the recession a bit yes)

Shops closing down left right and center. New shopping center that seems a bit too quite during the week. Yet people still head off to Kilkenny, limerick, waterford to do their shopping.

Night life gone to the Dogs. Many places quite until very late and a certain Nightclub has turned the 4th Bar into a scumbag hostel on a Saturday night.
    People give out about the choice of going out spots and yet their is a couple of bars with good quality bands on a friday night and yet the crowds wont come. Many heading to other towns to go out.

Danger of the Hospital having its services removed.

The centre of the town seems to draw in the scumbags and nobody else.

The numbers on the Dole is growing by the week.

No action by the council to try and lift the gloom. i.e. reduce rates, free parking.

So what can be done. What will make the people of the town start coming out wheter it be day or night and spending money<what little to spare they have> in their own town and breading a bit of life back into it?

The numbers on the dole in every town are growing every week.Clonmel is not the only town with scumbags...The sad thing is the scumbags seem to be able to get away with whatever they feel like inflicting, on who they choose.I dont have any answers,but the law seems to favour the scumbags.The country is going down the drain if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

It's probably a bit much to say its heading down the pan, but it's certainly feeling the pinch along with other towns across the country. I tried to go clothes shopping the other day, few bob in the pocket support your own type thing. There's nothing in the town, the selection is so bad. Spent 50 quid on an item I didn't even like that much, only it was on offer. Add that to the abandoned slash empty units in the town centre and the future is indeed bleak. Talks of multi story car parks are fanciful. Who'd have reason to park there in all seriousness, apart from those who are left working in the town.. There is still a lot of money in Clonmel but at the moment its staying in the banks/biscuit tins/credit union. I agree its no different from other Irish towns, we are all the same basically. Either we do something about it or we grin and bear it. Given the way the banks are behaving at the moment the choice is limited to the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

If former Clonmel shoppers are now heading to Limerick city centre they must be addicted to the scumbag,tapper[ bummer ]bag snatching,parking fine experience.It's all there in a triple whammy dose!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭smlballjunkie

If former Clonmel shoppers are now heading to Limerick city centre they must be addicted to the scumbag,tapper[ bummer ]bag snatching,parking fine experience.It's all there in a triple whammy dose!!:eek:

Hey they dont have to travel outside Clonmel if they are addicted to that, we have plenty of all the above home grown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I'd agree that the life is being taken from the town with the likes of the showgrounds and the poppyfield opening up. There isnt much of an athmosphere in the town any more. The night life is brutal too, few good pubs alright. O' Keefes was great when Dannos was open, but now there is a bit of a Dannos crowd creeping into O' Keefes. Much more trouble out the back than there used to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Hey they dont have to travel outside Clonmel if they are addicted to that, we have plenty of all the above home grown

Totally agree. The town is just full of scumbags for the past few years.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    O' Keefes was great when Dannos was open, but now there is a bit of a Dannos crowd creeping into O' Keefes. Much more trouble out the back than there used to be

Very true for the last few months it seems to be getting a little rougher. I remember when they used to have a much stricter door policy.

O Keeffe's has been an absolute zoo for 2 or 3 years. Nothing to do with Danno's opening or otherwise I think.

• Advertisement

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I'd agree that the life is being taken from the town with the likes of the showgrounds and the poppyfield opening up. There isnt much of an athmosphere in the town any more. The night life is brutal too, few good pubs alright. O' Keefes was great when Dannos was open, but now there is a bit of a Dannos crowd creeping into O' Keefes. Much more trouble out the back than there used to be
    I think your right there, I was out in Clonmel on Saturday night we were in Chawkes first and there was a handy crowd there but at about 11.30 almost everyone was gone,we headed down Town and decided to go into Larkins we went in the door and turned around back out again cos the place was dead,then we headed for the Posthouse and left after one pint cos it was so quiet in there.we ended up in the front bar in 0'Keeffees there was great craic in there the DJ played some great music, left me wondering where is everybody in Clonmel on a Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I think your right there, I was out in Clonmel on Saturday night we were in Chawkes first and there was a handy crowd there but at about 11.30 almost everyone was gone,we headed down Town and decided to go into Larkins we went in the door and turned around back out again cos the place was dead,then we headed for the Posthouse and left after one pint cos it was so quiet in there.we ended up in the front bar in 0'Keeffees there was great craic in there the DJ played some great music, left me wondering where is everybody in Clonmel on a Saturday night.

I would say a lot of people drink at home now...have a few around for beers.Anytime I pass the offie near the raileway station,there's always a good few cars outside.Staying at home seems to be the new going out..The pubs are gone dead quiet...We will have to sort out a sheebeen of sorts:D....

DT100 wrote: »
    I would say a lot of people drink at home now...have a few around for beers.Anytime I pass the offie near the raileway station,there's always a good few cars outside.Staying at home seems to be the new going out..The pubs are gone dead quiet...We will have to sort out a sheebeen of sorts:D....

Very true DT.. The railway offy is always moving stuff out. A good earner I'd say. Pubs are struggling barring ocassions that fill em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

they had a bit of drama over at the Railway last night!! a bus was burned out!! must costa fortune for one of those....:mad:

Fionn wrote: »
    they had a bit of drama over at the Railway last night!! a bus was burned out!! must costa fortune for one of those....:mad:

Just a warm up for whats to come today I'd say.... Clonmel, what a town!!

Burnt to a crisp so she was!

Just a warm up for whats to come today I'd say.... Clonmel, what a town!!

Dont know if your aware but in the space of a week the fire brigade was called out 20 odd times for fires being started by young scummers. <was told by someone that knows whos doing it 4 girls 3 fellows reported to guards but cant do anything unless they catch them in the act> Setting fires to fields ditches whatever burns really. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

I was thinking something was going on I saw the fire in the field. It was lucky in both cases the fire didn't spread and cause more damage than it did.

I didn't know the bus was set on fire deliberately,is this known for certain ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I went down there the next day and one of the workers there said that it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

• Advertisement

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I went down there the next day and one of the workers there said that it was.

Still waiting on confirmation if the bus fire was deliberate like the other random field/ditch/rubbish fires were. Anyone heard anything about it yet? Garda looking for witnesses/following a definite line of enquiry /statement by bus eireann etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

It was on the front page of The Nationalist today, it was arson.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    It was on the front page of The Nationalist today, it was arson.

Saw that alright earlier today. Begs the question as to why wasn't the bus parked up in the yard where it usually is? Now there saying that it might effect services to the town because of the cost of a replacement do they not have insurance for this.

Anyway scumbags we should just throw them in the new flood defenses solve two birds with the one stone! :mad:

Now there saying that it might effect services to the town because of the cost of a replacement do they not have insurance for this.

Bus Eireann would have had the bus insured alright, there's no doubt about that.. The thing is will the insurance company pay up or will they try to weasel out of it by saying it wasn't parked in the right place etc. Probably not, but we do know how they hate parting with money..

As for withdrawing services from Clonmel, this would be a good opportunity for CIE to close some routes that weren't performing financially, blame the fire even though they were just waiting for the chance all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Burnt to a crisp so she was!

Dont know if your aware but in the space of a week the fire brigade was called out 20 odd times for fires being started by young scummers. <was told by someone that knows whos doing it 4 girls 3 fellows reported to guards but cant do anything unless they catch them in the act> Setting fires to fields ditches whatever burns really. :rolleyes:

Name and shame dear fellow. Time for a bit of mob justice in our town.

Obviously the guy who runs the tipperaryphoto's site is my number 1 suspect ;)

Well, was there any trouble Paddys day? I havent been home in a week now for the local news...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

didn't hear of any major problems on St Patrick's night in Clonmel at any rate. I wandered home around 10:30 or so - didn't see a soul.

When I passed down there the following morning they had the bus cordened off with crime scene tape and further down was another bus in it's one cordened space the drivers window was broken on this and there was some evidence of fire/smoke damage, so apparently there was an attempt to ignite this bus also - i have no idea if that was where it was parked when the crime was committed. It's unusual, because anytime i pass there late at night theres never any busses parked there!

didn't hear of any major problems on St Patrick's night in Clonmel at any rate. I wandered home around 10:30 or so - didn't see a soul.

When I passed down there the following morning they had the bus cordened off with crime scene tape and further down was another bus in it's one cordened space the drivers window was broken on this and there was some evidence of fire/smoke damage, so apparently there was an attempt to ignite this bus also - i have no idea if that was where it was parked when the crime was committed. It's unusual, because anytime i pass there late at night theres never any busses parked there!

Thats awful. I hope it doesnt have any long term effects on the services in Clonmel. Hopefully Justice will be served to the scumbags who did it

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

I'm from clonmel, but i've been living away from home for nigh on 6 years now. but on my many visits home have to agree that clonmel has dropped on the entertainment side of things. there is no reason to go into town for anything now, everything has moved out to the boundries. its sad to see it happening.

and yes o keeffes used to have a brilliant door policy, now they let all and sundry in. i like heading out and having the laugh with crowd, but what with everyone in town packed into one or the other options in town, i havent been motivated to go out in clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

for such a clean well planned town its people are the worse in ireland nobody in that town really likes anyone else theres only 2 halves in clonmel pure scum or ignorant snobs.. genuine people are rare there. its known throughout ireland as being an unfriendly town. a town where people are only happy if someone else is suffering,,

Advertisement