Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CP's nabbed by the Taxman

Options
  • 12-03-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

"Central Park night club in Galway paid €3.59m in settlement of under-declared VAT, PAYE and PRSI."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0312/revenue.html

What are they charging in these days? expect to see a small increase.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Kinda tarnishes the Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Will be interesting to see if they'll up their prices :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Haven't CPs been closed for "renovations" for the last 6months? No sign of any work going on though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Central Park night club in Galway paid €3.59m in settlement of under-declared VAT, PAYE and PRSI.
    This was a result of an investigation by the Revenue's Deposit Interest Reporting and off-shore assets unit.
    The revenue commissioners must have raided the Aran Islands Post Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

foto joe wrote: »
    Haven't CPs been closed for "renovations" for the last 6months? No sign of any work going on though...

well, not 6 months but certainly 4 months anyway... Interesting find!

They don't really have to up their prices anyway... The way all the clubs in galway work is on a drink price = profit scheme, so most are free in most nights with stamps (stampers on shop st) anyway

the actual cost of drink and what they charge in the club is where all the profits are made.

Cost of a large bottle(200ml) of vodka (huzzar) from harvest in galway - €15
    Of course, its not going to cost a club/bar that much... but for arguements sake...
    Cost of a triple vodka/coke - €19 (going from a receipt from someone else)
    If you say for the sake of it, the coke is €4
    One measure of vodka is about 20-25mls
    So...you could say they make €40 for every 200ml of vodka, over 250% profit.

I know Karma has a capacity of 670 people... so if you say that CP's or halo have the same, and if only 25% of them get one vodka/coke, you're looking at 20 bottles of vodka, and ~165 bottles of coke, and a profit of almost €1500. I know this model ignores the array of variables that come into it, but either way...they're making more than enough profit over 4 and a half hours (open 10.30, close ~2)

Tbh, they don't need to increase anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

if cps charge in then they make a large portion of their revenue from the door, as its all profit and very easy to hide from the taxman - probably one of the reasons they were caught

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How can the revenue from the door be all profit??

Anyway, the €3,598,564.00 breaks down as
    Tax Owed 1,145,608.00
    Interest & Penalties 2,452,956.00
    gives an indication it was ongoing for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

They don't really have to up their prices anyway... The way all the clubs in galway work is on a drink price = profit scheme, so most are free in most nights with stamps (stampers on shop st) anyway

the actual cost of drink and what they charge in the club is where all the profits are made.

Of course, its not going to cost a club/bar that much... but for arguements sake...

I know Karma has a capacity of 670 people... so if you say that CP's or halo have the same, and if only 25% of them get one vodka/coke, you're looking at 20 bottles of vodka, and ~165 bottles of coke, and a profit of almost €1500. I know this model ignores the array of variables that come into it, but either way...they're making more than enough profit over 4 and a half hours (open 10.30, close ~2)

A measure of vodka or any spirit is 35ml in Ireland. Still a lot of profit on a bottle, but thats how clubs work...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Zzippy wrote: »
    A measure of vodka or any spirit is 35ml in Ireland. Still a lot of profit on a bottle, but thats how clubs work...

And a large bottle is 700ml not 200 as he/she said. Not really surprised at the news really seeing that the owners are ex-bank officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

They're rennovating alright, the place should be good to go again soon enough, stay tuned :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

They're rennovating alright, the place should be good to go again soon enough, stay tuned :)

It seems odd to me that a company facing a €3.5 million tax bill in the middle of a recession would decide that it is a good idea to stop trading for 4 months and spend money on renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

And a large bottle is 700ml not 200 as he/she said. Not really surprised at the news really seeing that the owners are ex-bank officials.

my bad :) - thats what i get for doing chemistry work at the same time as boards

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

I dont see CP's opening under the same management.... Works havn't been going on there for a while. I recon it will be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The drinks industry doesnt work the same as regular shop, just because you can buy huzzar in harvest for €15 does not mean a pub buys it for less...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The drinks industry doesnt work the same as regular shop, just because you can buy huzzar in harvest for €15 does not mean a pub buys it for less...

It does if youre fiddling the taxman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I Hope to Hell both sell the propertys because Halo's dull as hell
    Haven't enjoyed CPs since I was in first year
    Both fulls of G4s
    Ridiculously overpriced
    ****e music in both and a pure Random playlist in Halo... See more
    Halos too relaxed
    I could go on.....

imagine how many people lost their jobs because that **** wanted to stay richer than he is, wanker, the greed of some people amazes me sometimes.

Are you suggesting they pay more :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Very true, fa friend told me it's cheaper for somebody to buy a large bottle of Huzzar/Smirnoff/other vodka brand from Tesco than it is for his pub to buy it from a wholesaler. Gotta say I was a bit shocked...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Pubs are a notoriously easy mark for the revenue.

They do lots of business, and cash business at that. There's a lot of room for cooking the books - which many of them invariably do.

The part that is most interesting to me is that they were done for non-payment of PAYE and PRSI. This means that they were either a) screwing people out of their stamps or b) employing people under the table (who may or may not have had the legal right to work in this country, or who may have been claiming on the side)

When we've got so many people unemployed around the city, county and country, the fact that they'd mess about with the people they do employ is really just scumbaggery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Maths is your strong point?

• Advertisement

PomBear wrote: »
    I Hope to Hell both sell the propertys because Halo's dull as hell
    Haven't enjoyed CPs since I was in first year
    Both fulls of G4s
    Ridiculously overpriced
    ****e music in both and a pure Random playlist in Halo... See more
    Halos too relaxed
    I could go on.....

imagine how many people lost their jobs because that **** wanted to stay richer than he is, wanker, the greed of some people amazes me sometimes.

Will I hope Halo doesn't close as I like it and its the only club me and my friends go to in Galway.

I have heard that cp's will be reopening very soon and will take over from Halo as the older crowd club with and over 23's policy. I hope this is true as I really like the sound of that.

We would all (and most people do in one way or another, cash in hand, buying in the US etc) avoid paying as much tax as possible so I certainly will not be getting too upset with the owners, they took a chance and got caught.

Also you are complaining about people losing jobs yet you want to see two clubs closed? That makes very little sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Very true, fa friend told me it's cheaper for somebody to buy a large bottle of Huzzar/Smirnoff/other vodka brand from Tesco than it is for his pub to buy it from a wholesaler. Gotta say I was a bit shocked...

That's a ridiculous claim. Sure if it was cheaper in Tesco than the wholesaler why wouldn't CPs just buy in Tesco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Xiney wrote: »
    Pubs are a notoriously easy mark for the revenue.

They do lots of business, and cash business at that. There's a lot of room for cooking the books - which many of them invariably do.

The part that is most interesting to me is that they were done for non-payment of PAYE and PRSI. This means that they were either a) screwing people out of their stamps or b) employing people under the table (who may or may not have had the legal right to work in this country, or who may have been claiming on the side)

When we've got so many people unemployed around the city, county and country, the fact that they'd mess about with the people they do employ is really just scumbaggery.

how does the tax people find out that they dont pay prsi and paye???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

mink_man wrote: »
    I imagine that in such a situation that it's likely the revenue would have made a rough guess as to how many people were employed there and saw a rather large discrepancy between that and how many they claimed to employ on the books.

I worked in a nightclub once. I don't think anyone there ever had their PAYE or PRSI paid. That was years ago and the current leaseholder is extremely unlikely to have changed the practice.

Busy nightclub, bar / function room business and nobody paying tax...:rolleyes: I was only a teenager at the time. Not even 18 either, but I would be called out as a liar if I told you all how little I was paid.

Anyway, CP's...

nelson-muntz.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

That's a ridiculous claim. Sure if it was cheaper in Tesco than the wholesaler why wouldn't CPs just buy in Tesco!

I know of some restaurant/bars who are now buying drinks/food in Aldi/Lidl/Tesco as the prices are so much cheaper than the wholesaler that it outweighs any advantage of being billed versus paying cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They're not allowed to. If a pub runs out of vodka, they can't just run down to the off-license and buy a bottle. It's against the law. They have to buy it off whole-salers at a different price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

kraggy wrote: »
    They're not allowed to. If a pub runs out of vodka, they can't just run down to the off-license and buy a bottle. It's against the law. They have to buy it off whole-salers at a different price.

They have to pay prsi and paye too though.... I'm not saying every pubs doing it but you can be sure that a good few are picking up stuff in the supermarket, if you check out the booze forum under the food section you'll sometimes see people posting about pubs selling bottles with the not for individual resale label on it that you get from bottles in boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

mink_man wrote: »

When people go in to claim for JSB because they've been let go and can't find another job, and the social tell them they have no record of them working is one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

revenues computer system is pretty sophisticated and they are only beginning to realise or cop on to how good it is if interrogated properly so they can find out just about anything if you have a pps.....scary!:eek:

• Advertisement

Will I hope Halo doesn't close as I like it and its the only club me and my friends go to in Galway.

I have heard that cp's will be reopening very soon and will take over from Halo as the older crowd club with and over 23's policy. I hope this is true as I really like the sound of that.

We would all (and most people do in one way or another, cash in hand, buying in the US etc) avoid paying as much tax as possible so I certainly will not be getting too upset with the owners, they took a chance and got caught.

Also you are complaining about people losing jobs yet you want to see two clubs closed? That makes very little sense.

We do pay as little as tax as possible, but we don't tax evade like this guy, when people are losing their jobs all over the country, getting their dole cut and possible minimum wage cut. They took a chance to make a few more milion that they don't need at the expense of more so many many more making alot less money.

I'm not saying I want it closed, I said I want it sold and hopefully new managerial policy, re-read the post.

Advertisement