Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores Off Licence 20% Rip-Off

• 12-03-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I was picking up a couple of bottles of wine last night from a Dunnes Stores run off licence in Cork. One range was on offer,San Pedro Reserve (Cab, Sav, Chardonnay, Shiraz, Merlo) and the yellow sign said:

"Save 20%! Was 9.95, now 7.95." - When I lifted this sign over, the original tag was underneath, stating the price was 7.95.

Same with Sant Orsola Pinot Grigo, claimed it was down from 8.85 to. 7.08, but the original sign underneath this was 7.08!

What a rip-off. I went to Lidl instead. I was going to say something but figured I could report them instead for false advertising - am I overreacting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

tommy21 wrote: »
    "Save 20%! Was 9.95, now 7.95." - When I lifted this sign over, the original tag was underneath, stating the price was 7.95.
    Same with Sant Orsola Pinot Grigo, claimed it was down from 8.85 to. 7.08, but the original sign underneath this was 7.08!
    What a rip-off. I went to Lidl instead. I was going to say something but figured I could report them instead for false advertising - am I overreacting?

What a rip-off. :confused: am I overreacting? - IMO yes. Do you know the original retail price of the wine?, have you seen it on sale at any other price?

AFAIK if prices change in supermarkets the bar-code prints out shelf price change, which is what you were looking at "underneath". So someone else comes along and puts up a bigger SAVE 20% shelf price TBH - I cannot see a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Personally I don't think they are wrong.

Legally the tag has to show the current price, and it did, €7.08, and not the old price of €8.85. (i may be wrong here :))

I know in my local when they have a special offer, the tag underneath the products reflects the new price and not the old one, as really that could be "false advertising" as it is showing the old price and not the new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I was picking up a couple of bottles of wine last night from a Dunnes Stores run off licence in Cork. One range was on offer,San Pedro Reserve (Cab, Sav, Chardonnay, Shiraz, Merlo) and the yellow sign said:

Yeah go report them and make a fool of yourself.

I work in Dunnes and when the price is changed for a special offer a new tag underneath that has the new price shown. So what you were looking at is a new tag that was put there and not Dunnes trying to rip you off.
    Take a chill pill bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

If its as Papa says then obviously that's fine, and I'm sure it is in the Dunnes he works in. But it could just as easily be the other way though, can't see why they would go to the bother of printing new tags to put underneath when they already have the 20% off sign that will come down when the offer is over. The price will then surely go back to its original price, so why wouldn't the original tag underneath remain in place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

If its as Papa says then obviously that's fine, and I'm sure it is in the Dunnes he works in. But it could just as easily be the other way though, can't see why they would go to the bother of printing new tags to put underneath when they already have the 20% off sign that will come down when the offer is over. The price will then surely go back to its original price, so why wouldn't the original tag underneath remain in place?

its the law. in short the price displayed is the price it is to be sold at. It would be illegal for dunnes to display the old price because the product now scans at a different price.

even if that price is lower than the shelf the rules state that dunnes can be fined €30 per item wrongly priced. I can only remember one time that this law was actually used and it was against Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

even if that price is lower than the shelf the rules state that dunnes can be fined €30 per item wrongly priced. I can only remember one time that this law was actually used and it was against Tesco.

LOL:rolleyes: the Tesco in Tralee are going to be cleaned @ some stage soon
    -_- I hope!

Tommy even though i work in a small dunnes there are two people who sole job are to go around scanning items to check for price changes etc etc. For every item that goes on sale the sel's(or tags as you might call them) have to show the current price of the item because of what Gerry said above. And you'd be very suprised how quickly the special offer signs get knocked off the shelves...thus leaving only an incorrect tag if both haven't been changed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

its the law. in short the price displayed is the price it is to be sold at. It would be illegal for dunnes to display the old price because the product now scans at a different price.

Sorry gerrycollins, you are mistaken. It does not have to be sold at the price displayed.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Sorry gerrycollins, you are mistaken. It does not have to be sold at the price displayed.

He is right i think. All the main stores apply to some consumer code with some phrase like "you pay the price on display" or something along those lines and its why they have people employed just for scanning items to check if prices are right.. Tesco will refund the cost and let you have the item free in most cases if you have been overcharged with a price different to that on the shelves. Most of the time if an incorrect cheaper price is displayed most places will just apologize and you won't get it for the cheaper price. To be fair with thousands of items that are on sale in these shops there are going to be a few mistakes every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

nipplenuts wrote: »

no your right but good practise means that you display the price you intend to sell the product at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Why so amy people jump to the conclusion that they are being ripped off without checking any basic facts is simply beyond comprehension.

All stores by law MUST display the correct prices of all goods. When a price is changed up / down and flashed by a larger sign, the smaller sign is generally changed too. - If there is a genuine error the store is not obliged to sell you the product at the displayed price but must change the price to the correct price within a reasonable timeframe.

If the OP bothered to ask a staff member in the store they would have got their answer.

Maybe the title should now be changed as it is quite obviously erroneous.

Advertisement