Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis 'Let's All Make Believe'

Options
  • 12-03-2010 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-xOkHtHRg

Why oh why was this just a b-side on the 'Go Let It O ut' single. For me it's one of their finest tracks and alongside Gas Panic as the best tune from that era. Liam's vocal on this track is one of his finest, the gloomy production and dark lyrics give it a real edge. Should have been on the album. TUNE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

Quality song, but sure haven't Oasis had manys a great B side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Probably the best B-sides band in the world. Them and The Smiths.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Moving this to music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

+1. They made some strange decisions with b-sides over the years. How did 'Lets All Make Believe' not make it on to SOTSOG when the likes of 'I Can See A Liar' 'Little James' and 'Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is' are on there?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

AGree with you there a very fine song, in comparsion with the rubbish remixes we got on the last singles its a great shame that Noel in the latter years didn't put enough effort into the band

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I bought the 'Go Let It Out' single purely for this song. Fantastic tune and easily one of their best, if not the best, between 1996 and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Probably the best B-sides band in the world. Them and The Smiths.

Nah, that would be Pearl Jam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

kasabian have some lovely b sides like caught in her mind - a wonderful tune relaxing and stay away from the brown acid and julie and the mothman both superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Solve My Mystery was one left in the vaults that only surfaced on bootlegs. Baffling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfUmpP6mv7w

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

ocean colour scene have great B-sides too.

ocean colour scene have great B-sides too.

Yep, that b-sides album has some good tracks (runs to dig it out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've always liked this song, another one that causes you to say "Why wasn't that the single/on the album?"

Same goes for Stay Young, the B-side of D'you what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Excellent song. But it's no secret that many of Oasis' best songs are their B-Sides. That's the treat for the fans.

I still remember buying Some Might Say on cd single, the B-sides were Acquiesce, Talk Tonight and Headshrinker. Not mad pushed on Headshrinker, but Talk Tonight and Acquiesce are amazing tracks.

They went and did it again when they released Wonderwall. I mean ffs, look at this for a selection of supposed B-sides:

Round Are Way
    The Swamp Song
    The Masterplan

All three are great tunes.

Masterplan ............. Amazing! Such a epic lighters in the air classic.

I always liked this live version of the Masterplan. The live horn section makes it sound better I think:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Full On is a b-side to Sunday Morning Call. Great tune that methinks.

Full On is a b-side to Sunday Morning Call. Great tune that methinks.

Id love to have heard Liam sing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I bought the 'Go Let It Out' single purely for this song. Fantastic tune and easily one of their best, if not the best, between 1996 and now.
    You could be right. IMO they went dowhill after the second album. Anything post 96 was ordinary enough. Look at link below. Post 96 and pre 96. The difference is there for all to see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_discography

• Advertisement

You could be right. IMO they went dowhill after the second album. Anything post 96 was ordinary enough. Look at link below. Post 96 and pre 96. The difference is there for all to see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_discography

Im a die hard so I'm biased but I love their post 1997 work as much as the first 3 albums. One thing they couldn't match was their b-side output. A classic in 'Let's All Make..' and a few other gems but the b-sides from 2000 on can't hold a candle to the golden b-side era of 1994-97.

zimovain wrote: »
    Im a die hard so I'm biased but I love their post 1997 work as much as the first 3 albums. One thing they couldn't match was their b-side output. A classic in 'Let's All Make..' and a few other gems but the b-sides from 2000 on can't hold a candle to the golden b-side era of 1994-97.
    Do folks seriously thinks Oasis B sides stand up against the Smiths though. Thats a very big claim to be making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Id love to have heard Liam sing it!

Indeed. Smashing tune methinks though :D
    Im a die hard so I'm biased but I love their post 1997 work as much as the first 3 albums.

Agreed. I absolutely love Don't Believe The Truth, SOTSOG, Heathen Chemistry and Dig Out Your Soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Do folks seriously thinks Oasis B sides stand up against the Smiths though. Thats a very big claim to be making.
    Where were the Smiths mentioned? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Would help then if you had quoted that post rather than a post that didn't mention it at all

and here is a emoticon expression derision just for you too
    > :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

what about (I got) the fever off stand by me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8erBBbZD3s

Totally rocking tune, great driving song, " as I soar..." is a great refrain.

And Flashbax, think it was on all around the world? Be here now era b-sides are top notch too.

Have a soft spot for won't let you down too, have to admit I stopped buying singles after heathen chemistry. I did watch an interview with liam the other day where he says the new band is going to go back to the basics with b sides etc i'll link it here

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/138554/%5BVIDEO%5D-Liam-Gallagher-Talks-About-Oasis-Split,-New-Album-&-More.htm

sorry i'm not great with linking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thelastpartizan

Step Out was a fantastic b-side aswell and was on the tracklist as track 5 on Morning Glory but was pulled after Stevie Wonders label claimed the chorus sounded like 1 of his songs "Uptight Alright" or something like that. Hey Now wasn't a bad 1 to replace it with though.

As for the later b-sides Liams "Won't let you down" was a good acoustic sing it at a house party kind of song I think it was on Lyla.

Let's all make believe was an overlooked classic though and the other song on go let it out, cigarettes in hell wasn't bad either.

Really llike 'Won't Let You Down' I wonder what Beatles song Liam was listening to when he wrote it? This perhaps!?!?:)

• Advertisement

what about (I got) the fever off stand by me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8erBBbZD3s

Totally rocking tune, great driving song, " as I soar..." is a great refrain.

And Flashbax, think it was on all around the world? Be here now era b-sides are top notch too.

Have a soft spot for won't let you down too, have to admit I stopped buying singles after heathen chemistry. I did watch an interview with liam the other day where he says the new band is going to go back to the basics with b sides etc i'll link it here

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/138554/%5BVIDEO%5D-Liam-Gallagher-Talks-About-Oasis-Split,-New-Album-&-More.htm

sorry i'm not great with linking ;)
    Sounds a bit like this

But at least they are imitating one of their own songs and this is one of their best ones

Advertisement