Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun safe

Options
  • 12-03-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Can i put my gun safe in the attic?
    Holding two none restricted guns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

greenpeter wrote: »

Assuming you can lift it up there I can't see any problems. Couple of people I've spoken to have put safes up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

greenpeter wrote: »
    my mate has his in the attic , FO passed it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Between dry lined walls and her self its hard to win, never mind the Fo:rolleyes:.
    I'm going lamping.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 IrishArmy1

Has anyone had problems with damp and condensation with there safes in the attic??? and if so how was this problem solved??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

IrishArmy1 wrote: »
    Has anyone had problems with damp and condensation with there safes in the attic??? and if so how was this problem solved??

Thanks

Dehumidifer. Battery or plug in.I

Also,do not bolt to chimney. Chimney hot + Atticcold = condensation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

quick tip,attic is fine and plenty or air passing through,when mounting to any wall seal the edge where the safe meets the wall with strong glue like no more nails etc,make it very hard to use crow bar etc to pry safe from wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Thanks
    The bigger packs of silica gel inside the safe. Mine is carpet lined and I also put 4 large pack into the safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

doyle61 wrote: »
    The bigger packs of silica gel inside the safe. Mine is carpet lined and I also put 4 large pack into the safe

Yep way to go, I have no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 IrishArmy1

Would you seal in-between the safe and the wall with insulation???

Thanks for replys

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Thanks for replys
    Thought about doing that but went with just plain bolting in the end. If your able to put insulation between them ild say it would defenetly be better but my concerne was getting the best secure possible and I wouldn't be able to do that with insulation in-between. Saying all that, my safe isn't bolted to an external wall so the heat difference will be less. Ild defenetly throw silica gel into the safe though, even if you can get insulation around the safe

• Advertisement

Thanks for replys

no need to if it is your standard cavity wall

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Thanks for replys
    if you put anything between the safe and wall you are only making a gap and that makes it easier to pry safe from the wall,,you could paint on some damp proof paint or some other damp proofing solution on the wall before mounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

attic - perfect spot for it. Never had any issues with condensation or damp. Def like the others say - do NOT put any insulation behind the safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I put my safe up in the attic. And while I was at it I put a stairs up to it and now I have a gun room and a new bed room.

Attic conversion. :-)

no need to if it is your standard cavity wall

reference to this post just checked the safe my CZ barrel was covered in rust:eek:. Attic is very cold but hope to have it spray foamed insulated in coming weeks. One safe with the shotgun in it was ok as i had some silica gel in it, but the other safe with the rifles with no gel had rust, just ordered two humidifiers from duffy.s

Advertisement