Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavlova

Options
  • 12-03-2010 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Anyone got an easy recipe for making Pavlova?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

its not true pavlova but i make them with just meringue recipe,one part egg to two parts caster sugar e.g 6 eggs /12 oz sugar 4eggs/8oz sugar,blend till you get thick mixture,spread on baking tray,cook at 100degrees for about 2-3 hours and its much nicer than proper pavlova i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I make it with 4 large eggs or 5 small eggs(egg whites only, strictly no yolks) and 225g of caster sugar. Whip half the caster sugar (roughly 117g) with the egg whites until its thick and stays standing(about 10/15 minutes). Then gradually add the rest of the caster sugar and continue whipping (about 15/20 mins should do). Bake in the oven on an oiled tray or greaseproof paper in a tray at 160/170 for 60 minutes. Leave it to cool, I usually leave it out overnight and its perfect the next day.

Oh and you're going to want to use an electric whip, it would probably take 4 hours if you tried to whip with your hand!

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Made one today.

Pre heat oven to 160 (fan oven) low or medium shelf.
    Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

3 egg whites
    175g caster sugar
    1 teaspoon vinegar
    1 teaspoon corn flour
    1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract (optional)

With an elec. whisk (or by hand if you feel like a work out) beat the egg whites until stiff.
    Add the caster sugar a little at a time and keep beating until stiff and shiney.
    Fold in the vinegar&cornflour&vanilla.

Use a dap of the mix on the bottom corners of the baking sheet to get it to stick down and not flap around in the oven.

Pour the mix onto the center of the seat and smooth it out into a round shape about 8 inches with a shallower dip in the middle.

Bake for 1 hour 1/5 mins check it after 60 mins though, once it's a very pale brown, crispy and a bit soft in middle it's done.

I usually turn off the oven and leave a merangue mix in until the oven cools.

Must say I prefer making merangues (even if I can't spell it) I find Pavlova can break on me and I'm pretty clumsy in the kitchen so the merangues are easier I stopped using a piping bag coz I just made a mess and just put a large blob of merangue and then swirl it a bit.

Grapes and banana are so yummy with it, as is kiwi which gives it a bit of a tang which goes well with the sugary pavlova. I tried milk chocolate chips with it today but wasn't a nice combo.

You can finish it off with some grated chocolate.
    I barely has time to cool in this house though no time for garnishing.

One of the least messy desserts as well, I always use double cream for extra naughtyness.

Edited to add: This makes a smallish pavlova but enough for 4-6 people if they aren't gluttons like us.

Advertisement