Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exhaust flexi joints - E39 diesel

• 12-03-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Well my '02 525d flexi joints are "blowing" and need replacement. The thing is that the section of pipe that has the flexies also has two of the four cats!!

So anyone know what my best option is? Obviously I'd prefer not to buy the whole section (€€€€€€) so as far as I can see i have two options

1. http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/product/BMW_E39_525d_530d_Decat_Downpipe I think that this could result in an NCT failure on emmisions though.

2. Cut out old flexies and weld in new ones - has anyone ever had this done?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Any good garage should be able to weld in generic flexis into the exhaust.

Removing the cats will cause cause a diesel to fail the NCT. Diesel emissions tests at the moment are done of the opacity of the smoke not its contents.

Removing the cats could have other effects on the car though, the reduced back pressure may cause issues or bring up fault codes. Probably not though if they are selling the manufactured pipes. Give them a buzz and ask them, more than likely they will know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya just measure up pipe diameter & length of flexi & order up new flexi. That can then be welded into the exhaust & will be good as new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Where are you based? I had the exact same problem with a 03 535d a few weeks ago. Brought it to AutoExhausts in Crumlin and he just cut out the old ones and welded in new ones no hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I'm on the Northside, how much were you charged for that? Is yours an e60? Don't think I've seen a 535d e39?

Sorry I meant 525d :o

I cant remember exactly how much it was but it was roughly 200 ish. (Dont quote me on that!) Give them a ring and see what they say their number is 01-4059812

• Advertisement

That's a pity, 535d would have been interesting!!

Think I'll give them a buzz, I usually do all my own work but you do not want to see my welding.

That's a pity, 535d would have been interesting!!

Think I'll give them a buzz, I usually do all my own work but you do not want to see my welding.

LOL :D
    I dont have welding equipment so I usually send my stuff there to be done. They're very good and fairly cheap. Give them a try and let us know how you get on. I think the guys name is Billy.

All done - brought it to Auto Exhaust in Crumlin yesterday as per Dean09's suggestion. €227 inc. VAT :D

Excuse the crappy phone pic...
    1z4g8zc.jpg

Advertisement