Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavlova

Options
  • 12-03-2010 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Thinking of making Pavlova tonight - anyone got a good recipe (easy)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

Stick the oven on at 120c. Separate the whites from 8 medium eggs (at room temp) and beat until stiff but not dry (~8 minutes with my hand blender). Slowly add 12oz castor sugar while beating.

In another bowl mix a teaspoon of white wine vinegar with a tablespoon of cornflour and a tablespoon of vanilla essence. Add a spoon full of the egg/sugar mix to loosen this before adding it all into the egg/sugar mix.

Spoon out onto parchment paper and cook for ~90 minutes. The shell should be crispy and the inside sticky and soft but cooked through.

Its worked well every time I've used this receipe sofar, goodl uck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've been using Delia Smith's recipe for years and it never fails - and all it uses is sugar and egg whites LINK
    For a bigger pavlova, use 4 eggs and 8 oz of caster sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

emmiou wrote: »
    Stick the oven on at 120c. Separate the whites from 8 medium eggs (at room temp) and beat until stiff but not dry (~8 minutes with my hand blender). Slowly add 12oz castor sugar while beating.
    Yes, I am a fool, but what is a hand blender exactly? Same blade-y thing you'd use to make soup? or a whisk attachment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

taram wrote: »
    Yes, I am a fool, but what is a hand blender exactly? Same blade-y thing you'd use to make soup? or a whisk attachment?

Yes, and you'd need to use the whisk attachment for beating egg whites in order to get air into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

I dunno why but my mixture (egg whites) keeps turning out runny, using an electric mixer

• Advertisement

Featherl wrote: »
    I dunno why but my mixture (egg whites) keeps turning out runny, using an electric mixer

You have to be careful not to over beat them before adding the sugar. Beat them until they look slightly glossy and stay put when you tip the bowl upside down. Then add the sugar a couple of dessertspoons at a time, beating very well. The texture should then be like shaving foam.
    I don't bother making peaks, I just spread it evenly on the parchment - that way you get a nice thick base.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

Wash your mixing bowl and whisk very well before you start - best to use a glass bowl rather than a plastic one- any trace of grease can effect the volume. Use eggs at room temperature and be careful when separating them that no yolk sneaks in. If your mixture really won't puff up you could use in in a parchment lined swiss roll tin, and make a pavlova roulade by spreading with cream and raspberries before rolling... did this once when the eggs were too cold and I was in a hurry.

Advertisement