Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shark diving in Cape Town

• 12-03-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭

I stuck this up in travel and holiday and advise maybe best to stick here.

Has anyone done it down there and recommend someone to book it with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bang2

I've done the cage dive 3 times there over there, there are loads of choices when you get there.
    I went with www.whitesharkprojects.co.za/
    they were very professional and do lot of research and recording for conservation , usually have a few biologists on board .

it's mostly from Gansbaai, about 2 hrs bus ride out of Capetown.

there is also another one in false bay no cage just an acrylic cylinder, didnt get to try it but it sounds mad:eek:

I went summer and winter saw great whites every time , more in the winter though and the water was much clearer.

it's great do it if you get the chance,

Trampas wrote: »
    I stuck this up in travel and holiday and advise maybe best to stick here.

Has anyone done it down there and recommend someone to book it with?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I cannot emphasise how much I would love love LOVE to do this! I don't think I will be in South Africa anytime soon though, I'll have to keep this plan on the backburner for a while
    There's a place in Cheshire you can go diving with sharks, but it's in a tank and I think they're sand sharks... Not quite as cool. I think I'll just save it for South Africa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I just don't get it? It's a bit like going to the Zoo to look at the lions in a cage.

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I just don't get it? It's a bit like going to the Zoo to look at the lions in a cage.

Kinda the opposite I would say, animals in the zoo are in cages , out at sea your in the cage looking at magnificent wild animals in there own environment, if you are lucky and they happen to be there on the day. And yes they are attracted there by chum, but its right beside there natural predatory area with thousands of there natural prey, cape fur seals (another amazing sight and smell) Dyer Island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

bang2 wrote: »
    Kinda the opposite I would say, animals in the zoo are in cages , out at sea your in the cage looking at magnificent wild animals in there own environment, if you are lucky and they happen to be there on the day. And yes they are attracted there by chum, but its right beside there natural predatory area with thousands of there natural prey, cape fur seals (another amazing sight and smell) Dyer Island

Nice pictures, are they one's you took on your trip.

I remember doing a wreck dive in the Bahamas when I first encounter sharks. I think my heart rate must have been hitting about 200bpm!

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Nice pictures, are they one's you took on your trip.

I remember doing a wreck dive in the Bahamas when I first encounter sharks. I think my heart rate must have been hitting about 200bpm!

Yep , great experience to be so close, My first encounter was in the red sea , just after rolling off the rib, righted myself in the water and a big Oceanic white tip was heading towards me , he didnt turn away until the flash went off, no cage that time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

bang2 wrote: »
    Yep , great experience to be so close, My first encounter was in the red sea , just after rolling off the rib, righted myself in the water and a big Oceanic white tip was heading towards me , he didnt turn away until the flash went off, no cage that time .

WOW!

Advertisement