Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Science

Options
  • 12-03-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey,
    Thinking of this course in UCD, anybody have any personal advice, information, how they found it, and whats it like in comparison to other social science courses etc?

Thanks a million :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jripper

First of all, what attracts you to social science? Ok i'm in first year now, i like the subjects, i have sociology, psychology and social policy as core subjects, with 2 modules in each. If they are your kind of bag then you'll fly through it. I'm not too interested in social policy cos its a bit too statistical and such for me. Um, you'll have written assignments to do for each module and tutorials and seminars to attend for 20% of your final grade per module per semester. Easy marks really. Hard enough to meet ppl cos you'll be in huge lecture halls all the time but thats up to you, you'll small groups also. Bout all i have to say really.. All in all, i like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sazzie121

im in 2nd year social science, i chose this course cause im intrested in doing social work. it is a very broad course and the career opportunities are really varied so if your not too sure what you wanna do i recommend this course cause it will get you into anything really as its very broad !! sociology and social policy are core modules and there not too bad, just alot of essays though !! :P you can then pick two modules in whatever you want as electives..i did geog in 1st year and this year i picked psychology..

hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LC_ugh

Im in 2nd year as well.

i picked this course because i thought itd be chilled and i could take my time to decide where i wanted to go after. This course offers a great range of things to do afterwards, your not set to one single path which is great, its also not too heavy on the work load, and gets really interesting. it is also extremely relevant. id recommend it to anyone wishing to work in government areas, or helping people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Make sure you give the course everything you have, if you put the work in then the career possibilities available to you will be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 arryanna

i'm a bit lost with regards choosing law vs social science. Any help?? :confused:

• Advertisement

arryanna wrote: »
    i'm a bit lost with regards choosing law vs social science. Any help?? :confused:

Well what's causing the confusion?

I know i want a people focused career with regards helping them, therefore both law and social science seem like adequate courses for that reason. People have told me that law can be quite difficult and that students doing law at the minute are stressed and have a boring social life. I don't intend to spend the next few years in a library, I am a hard worker but I also enjoy some fun too.

Would social science be less demanding/challenging?? :confused:

arryanna wrote: »
    I know i want a people focused career with regards helping them, therefore both law and social science seem like adequate courses for that reason. People have told me that law can be quite difficult and that students doing law at the minute are stressed and have a boring social life. I don't intend to spend the next few years in a library, I am a hard worker but I also enjoy some fun too.

Would social science be less demanding/challenging?? :confused:

I think that, regardless of the course you do, if you manage your time well then you will be able to strike a nice balance between college work and fun.

Law probably might require more in-depth fact-based study but that doesn't mean Social Science is a walk in the park. It can be difficult, very difficult so don't assume you are in for an easy wide.

But I suppose if you're asking what will be less full on in regards to workload Social Science might be your better bet.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I think that, regardless of the course you do, if you manage your time well then you will be able to strike a nice balance between college work and fun.

Law probably might require more in-depth fact-based study but that doesn't mean Social Science is a walk in the park. It can be difficult, very difficult so don't assume you are in for an easy wide.

But I suppose if you're asking what will be less full on in regards to workload Social Science might be your better bet.

Thanking you :)

Advertisement