Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land owners

Options
  • 12-03-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how you lads find the best way to approach land owners for permission just after moving house and i reckon there's some good foxing/rabbit land out the back fields plenty off sheep to protect. Would like to ask the land owner for permission just not sure what way to go about it. All my permission is in my home area and ive known the farmers all my life. Any tips,
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

elius wrote: »
    Just wondering how you lads find the best way to approach land owners for permission just after moving house and i reckon there's some good foxing/rabbit land out the back fields plenty off sheep to protect. Would like to ask the land owner for permission just not sure what way to go about it. All my permission is in my home area and ive known the farmers all my life. Any tips,
    Cheers

I have been doing quite a bit of asking this last few years even though im involved in two gunclubs and a wildfowling club, I find that farmers are very approachable and have had a near 100 percent success , I have knocked on doors and just plain asked out straight, and have used one farmer to get me an introduction to another, it just depends on the situation..my advice would be to approach the farmer as soon as you see him out and about and ask straight out, if he refuses you be sure to part with a smile , I had a farmer call me back after an initial refusal and tell me he changed his mind, another thing to remember is that some farmers dont like dogs on the ground so if its for lamping or deer stalking without a dog , let him know you wont have a dog with you..I think in general youll find a lot of permissions can be gained simply by asking..good luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I have been doing quite a bit of asking this last few years even though im involved in two gunclubs and a wildfowling club, I find that farmers are very approachable and have had a near 100 percent success , I have knocked on doors and just plain asked out straight, and have used one farmer to get me an introduction to another, it just depends on the situation..my advice would be to approach the farmer as soon as you see him out and about and ask straight out, if he refuses you be sure to part with a smile , I had a farmer call me back after an initial refusal and tell me he changed his mind, another thing to remember is that some farmers dont like dogs on the ground so if its for lamping or deer stalking without a dog , let him know you wont have a dog with you..I think in general youll find a lot of permissions can be gained simply by asking..good luck!:)

Thanks lad might just stick the walking boots on me and go and ask. Im renting 3-4 doors up the road and i can cross over out the back. As you said if he says no he says no..

Advertisement