Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT test query

• 12-03-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

My girlfriend's car's name is in her mother's name. She just got her date for her NCT test and it said to bring identification. Does the named owner of the car have to do the test or can my girlfriend do it? Considering the test is in Dublin and her mother is in Cork she's going to have to change the location if that's the case. Can't seem to find any info on my question on the site and they haven't replied to my email. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Michael B wrote: »
    My girlfriend's car's name is in her mother's name. She just got her date for her NCT test and it said to bring identification. Does the named owner of the car have to do the test or can my girlfriend do it? Considering the test is in Dublin and her mother is in Cork she's going to have to change the location if that's the case. Can't seem to find any info on my question on the site and they haven't replied to my email. Thanks for any help.

I must bring my sons car for test in 2 weeks
    I also must bring identification.
    His car is registered in my name so i would assume bring my identification;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

AFAIK anyone can bring in the car. Don't know why you would need identification! I have brought in several cars (not my own) and not even been asked for the cars identification never mind my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

All you need is the log book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Avns1s wrote: »
    AFAIK anyone can bring in the car. Don't know why you would need identification! I have brought in several cars (not my own) and not even been asked for the cars identification never mind my own.

It says down at the end of the letter to bring a form of identification with you as you will be asked to present it at the test centre. Which is fine if it doesn't have to be the car owner and just be the person that drives the car. That's the part we're trying to figure out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've brought friends cars in without any problem, just bring her license and she will be fine.

On a side note if the insurance policy is in her name she will run into problems should she ever need to make a claim as the car is in her mothers name, potentially making the cover invalid and the insurer can decline a payout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Michael B wrote: »
    It says down at the end of the letter to bring a form of identification with you as you will be asked to present it at the test centre. Which is fine if it doesn't have to be the car owner and just be the person that drives the car. That's the part we're trying to figure out.

Don't worry just go

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My dad used to always bring mine and my sisters cars which were in each of our own names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's only whoever presents the car that has to have some form of identification on them, may not even be asked for.

Ah ok great, thanks for clearing that up.

I've brought friends cars in without any problem, just bring her license and she will be fine.

On a side note if the insurance policy is in her name she will run into problems should she ever need to make a claim as the car is in her mothers name, potentially making the cover invalid and the insurer can decline a payout.

No the insurance is still in her mother's name. When that gets changed over she'll change the name on the car too. Thanks for that though, will make sure she knows that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It's only whoever presents the car that has to have some form of identification on them, may not even be asked for.

+1

I think they're suppose to check ID now, but both times I was in, they didn't bother. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

anybody can bring the car in...
    no regulations about owner needing to be present...

look at all the cars garages bring in... and they dont own them all, the drivers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

they won't even ask for id. Just log book to confirm the chasis number with the booking on screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Yawns wrote: »
    they won't even ask for id. Just log book to confirm the chasis number with the booking on screen

From what I saw a few weeks back (Limerick test centre) they don't ask for that. Maybe they do intermittently but about 8 people including myself were just asked for the confirmation letter and the money. Best to bring it just in case though.

Regarding the name, when I met the tester and he was handing me my pass result sheet he asked me for my name. I gave it to him and he said it wasn't the name he had on the NCT cert. I had bought my car privately 4 weeks earlier, and the previous owners name had popped up. He said to just ring the NCT center in Dublin and notify them of change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

was in twice this year. 1st car got asked for log book, cash and keys. Nothing else.

Got a car a few weeks ago, same thing, book, cash and keys. Also like above the name still hadn't been changed on their systems but they didn't care :D

Advertisement