Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Smart after a month?

• 12-03-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Is it possible for me to leave Smart after a month? I'd imagine they have a 12 minimum in the SLA, no?

The reason I'm leaving is due to an average of 2 disconnects/day (previously with BT and no disconnects worth talking about). Does this give me any grounds to leave early without penalty??

Q. Who should I sign up with for stable broadband? (I can only choose between bitstream products unfortunately!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Did you get higher speeds when you went from bt->Smart?

You can make a case to have your contract terminated if they aren't providing a product fit for purpose but you will have to go through compliants procedures first. I'm presuming you have already contacted them about the disconnections if you are planning on leaving? What did they say/do?

Also post up your line stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Is it possible for me to leave Smart after a month? I'd imagine they have a 12 minimum in the SLA, no?

The reason I'm leaving is due to an average of 2 disconnects/day (previously with BT and no disconnects worth talking about). Does this give me any grounds to leave early without penalty??

Q. Who should I sign up with for stable broadband? (I can only choose between bitstream products unfortunately!)

First off you will need to contact Smart and check if they offer a "cooling off period" or you can check their Terms & Conditions online.

If the connection is dropping twice a day then i am sure you will need to speak to their technical support department about this and let them try and resolve or fix the issue before you considering leaving. If you terminate your contract then they will likely face a penaltie fee for the remainder of your 12month cotract. If their technical support are unable to resolve the issue then you have grounds for a case to leave and avoid any penalties.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The common sense answer to this question is no (at least at this stage) and most people would see your reason as simply an excuse to break a contract.

To make a valid case you would have to contact Smart and make a complaint and give them an opportunity to remedy the situation.

Losing connection can happen for a number for reasons - for example you dont say (as others have pointed out) what your line stats are, if you increased speed and so on or if you are using wireless.

Have you logged on to the Smart forums and asked the guys there to have a look at your line? Smart of all the isps have the best customer staff contact via these forums and usally will tweak your line for you no problem (thats if you are a llu customer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

also post up your line stats.
    dub45 wrote: »
    Have you logged on to the Smart forums and asked the guys there to have a look at your line? Smart of all the isps have the best customer staff contact via these forums and usally will tweak your line for you no problem (thats if you are a llu customer)
    Post No.2 onwards..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

It seemed to be ok for 2 weeks - but now as gone back to sh1t again.
    I got NO response to my mail to support.

I will force the issue and get them to release me from this contract.

Not sure where i'm going.....utv maybe....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You should register (with your account details etc) on their support forum and see if they can apply a profile that is more suitable to your line conditions.

BT are quite likely using eircom's rate-adaptive and interleaved DSL services which are designed for dodgy lines i.e. if the line's noisy, the speed is reduced / ping times are increased.

Smart seem to use "fastpath" by default, which is a great service if you've a short noise-free line.

Their support forum's quite good for sorting out these things. We had some teething problems with the service on our line too when we switched over, but after a few different attempts, the line became quite stable.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

If you just cannot connect, I don't think they'll be able to hold you to a contract anyway as they can't render the service they promised.

I would say though, even at lower speeds i.e. 7 to 8 mbit/s smart's still superiour to eircom et al as their unbundled services are very low / no contention.

Advertisement