Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimension 9200 general upgrade

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

I'm thinking of doing something similar to the OP, upgrade the processor+new ram+new gCard... Here's my current spec, Pc ordered mid-2006:

DIMENSION 9200
    9200 PENTIUM D 820 (2.80GHZ)
    1GB RAM ,though currently 512 as a stick failed on me last night :-(
    250GB HDD (Have external TB so not bothered about upgrade)
    PSU rated at 375W max

What kind of specs should I be looking for to get a PC to handle most modern games? Do I need to go for a mobo upgrade as well?

EDIT: here's what I'm currently looking at buying:

Intel Core i5 660 3.33GHz http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-314-IN

EVGA GeForce GT 240 512MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-118-EA

Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 TwinX Dual Channel
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-192-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=817

Would this work with the rest of my setup? Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Mobo should be fine so long as you can source the old 65nm Core2s. Once it stops being okay you're talking New Build Time :o Those Dimensions are BTX units, normal PCs are ATX so if you toss the mobo you need a new case and PSU as well :(

I'm not 100% sure about if you should even go for a dual-core nowadays because if you have the money to hunt down a Q6*00 its a much better choice for futureproofing; more and more apps are multithreaded. If you're strapped for cash just stick any 65nm C2D you can get your hands on (45nm Core2s won't work!).

You'll need at least 2x1GB DDR2-6400 (2x2GB is better!). Graphics card depends more on your monitor resolution; if its sub-1080p then get a cheap HD5750 or if you can source one cheap somewhere a HD4770. If you have a decent Full HD monitor or intend to go that way in the near future the HD5770 is about the minimum you can shoot for. Be wary of old cards aside from the HD4770 (which is 40nm) as gaming-grade 65/55nm GPUs were infamously hot and thirsty.

Damn, I thought that a new mobo would at least let me keep my case, what happened to standardising these things?! So basically if I can source the right processor (ie not the one I linked to!) I should be okay? Also guessing I'll need a highed rated PSU?

Thanks for replying

smackyB wrote: »
    Damn, I thought that a new mobo would at least let me keep my case, what happened to standardising these things?!

They were standarised. At least until Intel went and had one of their megalomanical moments and Dell elected to be the Pinky to their Brain.

They faceplanted, spectacularly.

And are cursed by every owner of a BTX-box with all its lovely built-in obsolescence... and that's a lot of people to be cursing your name :o
    So basically if I can source the right processor (ie not the one I linked to!) I should be okay?

Yep. They're a couple of generations behind now but the better models can still hold their own most of the time :) And that CPU you linked isn't even the right socket! :P Not that its much cop anyway - the i5-750 is usually a touch cheaper and utterly destroys it at most things :o If you want to hold off a new build as long as possible try to dig up a Q6600/6700. At least then most programs that find two 2.4GHz+ cores insufficient will most likely be multithreaded and can feast upon the other two cores! ;)
    Also guessing I'll need a highed rated PSU?

We've discussed this already, read the thread if you want to hijack it! :P Summary: If you don't go mad with high-TDP graphics cards and eleventy-seven 3.5" HDDs you'll be fine. Just try to steer clear of any tempting offers of cheap second-hand HD4890s! :o So tempting... but so thirsty! :eek:

Cool, thanks for the very helpful advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Well, brand new Sapphire 1gb Radeon HD5770 is installed and I played a bit of Unreal 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 last night and I have to say they look stunning (for oldish games!).
    Not a whisper from the PC and its flying along.
    Unreal has crashed out a few times, but it did this with both cards.
    I dled a patch and installed but it still crashed out twice, usually when trying to quickload a saved game.

What would be a good way to test the graphics card?

Also I realised my 21" dell monitor is a pos with no hdmi.
    So I might go for a new monitor, and recommendations on that front?

Don't expect any mercy from me - I'm still using an old 19" Fujitsu!! :P

Why is HDMI so important? :confused:

ANd if that's an old install you might have to uninstall and reinstall U2 because I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be doing that... all UEngine games have a tendency to crash out occasionally, but not exactly on a Morrowindian frequency! :eek:

19" I didn't think anyone still used those!!! :D

Its a new install of U2, haven't played it in a week or two now though, stuck into the life sapping Neverwinter Nights 2. Gawd, its addictive.

The system is performing well overall, but it gets mighty hot after a 10 hour session!!! Some graphics get a pixelly and it has crashed a couple of times (the game). So I switch off and go to bed. Probably just as well.

Oh, HDMI isn't vital I suppose, but the new card has HDMI so wouldn't a HD monitor just pop?

Didihno wrote: »
    Some graphics get a pixelly and it has crashed a couple of times (the game).

It really shouldn't be doing that... :o

Keep an eye on CCC - you might need to tweak the fan behaviour a bit in that poorly ventilated case!

Ok so I've got a shiny new 1GB sapphire ATI 5770 but when I boot up I'm getting no display output but the computer boots fine none the less. Any ideas? Are all the power leads from the PSU running at the same voltage? I just took the lead that the old GPU was plugged in to, I presume this is ok?

Edit: So I changed the power leads around, moved ram and reseated gpu and all good now

• Advertisement

Good to know its sorted :)

Solitaire wrote: »
    It really shouldn't be doing that... :o

Keep an eye on CCC - you might need to tweak the fan behaviour a bit in that poorly ventilated case!

I'm one of those people that tends to leave the pc on all day, and I felt the side of the case after a game-a-thon and it was well, warm.
    So I popped off the case panel and left it off.

What should I do to increase the fan activity?

You're in a bit of a fix IIRC as the only fan on those BTX-boxes was actually the CPU cooler fan disguised as a case fan! :o It was one of the reasons those cheap-ass ***s in Intel dreamed up that form factor :(

The problem is that's all the air in the system IIRC and its nicely pre-heated by the CPU (even if your new one is kicking out less heat than the naff old P4!) before even reaching the GPU and PSU. Those Intel techs are good at CPUs but really have rocks for brains when it comes to air cooling dynamics! ugone2far.gif

If it comes to it you might be able to use SpeedFan to hijack the CPU fan speed control and wedge it at maximum, but that's going to be noisy! (at least the CPU will be cooler! :o) Otherwise you'll have to leave the side off until you Dremel Time the side panel and get some ventilation cut into it (around where the graphics card would be, "above" the PCB relative to the fan as it points up rather than down in a BTX system, no point putting vents below the card with its PCB blocking off the fan!).

Also remember to dig into Catalyst Control Centre and tweak the fan speeds up on the OCing tab to try and shift more air through it until you see a difference in stability. The card could just be dodgy from the outset; if you can't even get it stable with the side panel off the case you'll need to RMA it and shout loudly at the doorknobs who shipped you a duff card! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MjM

My 9200 has a "card cage fan" and I'm sure they all have them, its at the front of the case above the hard drives, its supposed to push air back to the expansion cards I guess.

I noticed that on occasion this fan gets into a fit and spins up to a crazy speed and noise. I've had to disconnect from the motherboard but of course I get an F1 to continue prompt on bootup.

So his machine should have two fans at least.

Thanks. Haven't been playing inside the guts of a Dimension 9*00 for quite a while :o

Do you know what size the case fan is? Can it be replaced by an aftermarket model or does the mobo have a proprietary fan header? :o

And as for you Didihno, check that the fan hasn't gone kaput. If its working properly and the fan on the graphics card itself isn't freezing up then you might have a bad card after all... :(

I don't think it can be replaced easily or at all, it has a funky 5 pin connector, here's a link to the fan and its connector:

Fan:
    http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/system/dell/xps410/hdd-removed.jpg

Connector:
    http://skurkyskurk.net/images/fanconnector.jpg

The fan is on the bottom left, also the connector only has four wires for the five pins, but don't ask me about it!
    Also the fan looks like a prick of a thing, I can't really remember but I don't think there's much air flow really from it though.

Maybe if that module was taken apart it might be possible to swop it, but it looks like a bit of work.

:(

Dells!!
    :rolleyes:

Bet even SpeedFan won't work with that PoS :mad:

Yep, at least I got it cheap, should last me another year or so with some cheap upgrades and then a DIY job.

Yeah it probably won't, I think I tried it before, I'll have another shot at it again.

Hi again lads,
    Been very busy gaming this past few months.
    PC Update:
    Right, well, its running OK all told.
    Speed in general is decent, stability in general is very good.
    I have almost finished Dragon Age:Origins and its been pretty stable up until like the 6th hour of gameplay!!!
    Then I've had a few crashes. But I've been living with them till now.

So I picked up a G7 580W PSU on sale in Maplins.
    Guess what, I totally forgot what you guys said about BTX vs ATX cases.
    Idiot.

I'm wondering if I might just build a new PC around my Q6600?
    I'd need a case, mobo, cooling fans.
    I think thats it.

Oh and I suppose I could go for a new set of ram with higher speed (because I'd no longer be limited to 1.8v right?).

Any recommendations where to shop for these bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

flipping Maplins.. they sell absolute weird junk noone has ever heard of before for highly inflated rip-off prices

If komplett have sorted out their problems try them - komplett.ie

or

pixmania.ie

• Advertisement

Jonny7 wrote: »
    flipping Maplins.. they sell absolute weird junk noone has ever heard of before for highly inflated rip-off prices

If komplett have sorted out their problems try them - komplett.ie

or

pixmania.ie
    Komplett problems?

Anyone know anything about these people:
    http://www.custompc.ie/index.asp

Advertisement