Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.308 ammo

Options
  • 12-03-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

john from fingal sports is bringing in a batch of hps target ammo 155 grain as far as i know 25 euro a box of 20 or 120 euro per 100 which brill for ammo
    that is up there wit brand name ammo at half the price give him a bell he
    will be more than helpfull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 carlos93

Bloody Hell.

Thats over a Euro a round for HPS..... I payed £30.00 for 50 in NI yesterday!!!

Reloading is the only way to go for you guys in the South, lets just hope everybody will be able to do it no matter what Club they are a member of.

Carlos.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kartoonhead

it is the only way to go , but as is they were lucky enough to get the pilot
    scheme in the midlands for the creedmore cup next year as only the squad
    will be the only men in the country allowed to legally handload ammo ,i was using 155g lapua at 42e a box but again rip off ireland same box across the border 24 pounds ,hps is the only way to go ,cant see handloads across the board anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Can't find a review of this ammo anywhere, can someone with experience of it give some details of groups, if their using reloads, machine reloads, velocity,B.C. etc, etc...

thanks ,

Fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Can't find a review of this ammo anywhere, can someone with experience of it give some details of groups, if their using reloads, machine reloads, velocity,B.C. etc, etc...

thanks ,

Fish

Im using 155 grain sierra palmas in my savage 12 f/tr , along with lapua brass..the muzzle velocity over the chronograph is 2920 ft/sec, with an initial B.C of .443 which will drop to .417 as the bullet loses speed.
    The bullet will be travelling at 1322 ft/sec at 1000 and will still be at 1124 at 1200 as long as theres no headwind, according to sierra infinity.
    As with most VLD bullets its most accurate when seated long in the case and each rifles most accurate seating depth has to be found by experimenting..

Thanks Fox,

but as I cant reload and am thinking of trying the HPS ammo in .223 and .308 I was looking for details on this brand.

I should of stated the brand in my first post.

fish

• Advertisement

Thanks Fox,

but as I cant reload and am thinking of trying the HPS ammo in .223 and .308 I was looking for details on this brand.

fish

who makes that HPS stuff fish?

Thanks Fox,

fish

At a guess fish, if they are loading the 155 grain sierra match king , it will be up there running at over 2900 ft/sec, cos there aint much point loading it any slower for competition..its got to be up there to get out past 1200..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You're bang on there FS. They (.308) are Sierra Match King heads, in Lapua brass with CCI primers. They (155gr) are running fairly consistantly at 2950fps. I've messed around with the 168gr and honestly i cannot see a major difference between the 2 other than the 168 may take a little less (moa) to reach the longer distances. Just an opinion as i haven't chrono'd the 168gr.

I've no idea about the .223 rounds. They are Sierra match king but as i haven't used the rounds i could not testify to their performance.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    You're bang on there FS. They (.308) are Sierra Match King heads, in Lapua brass with CCI primers. They (155gr) are running fairly consistantly at 2950fps. I've messed around with the 168gr and honestly i cannot see a major difference between the 2 other than the 168 may take a little less (moa) to reach the longer distances. Just an opinion as i haven't chrono'd the 168gr.

I've no idea about the .223 rounds. They are Sierra match king but as i haven't used the rounds i could not testify to their performance.

Ive used the 69 grain matchking in the 223 out to 600 yards, mines ere running at 2800 ft/sec..the B.C of the 69 grain bullet is.331 and the trajectory is remarkably close to the 308 using a 168 grain sierra HPBT..with only 6 inches of a difference in the drop between the two at 600 yards..another very accurate bullet!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

Rang John in Fingal Sports this morning
    The HPS 155Grn 308 New Brass ammo is in a selling for €52.65 per box of 50
    Going fast I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

TMC121 wrote: »
    Rang John in Fingal Sports this morning
    The HPS 155Grn 308 New Brass ammo is in a selling for €52.65 per box of 50
    Going fast I believe

Anybody tried Hornady TAP 110 Grain?
    I don't reload since I live in the Republic of Telly
    I was thinking of getting 200 of them to mess around at long range varminting

Any of yee guys used or know anybody that did?
    Any help appreciated;)

110 gr in .308 :cool:

whats the lightest round available in a expanding bullet for a .308 here in Ireland??

110 gr in .308 :cool:

whats the lightest round available in a expanding bullet for a .308 here in Ireland??

I think the Hornady TAP 110 grain is
    http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-110-gr-FPD/

Data looks good, flatter shooting that .223 to 300M:D

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Tackleberry i was looking for the Hornady 110 grain, do you know of a dealer that has them in stock.

dr6.5

McB Athlone has a shipment in May coming
    PM me if you want his number

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Thanks for that Tackleberry, i have a number for James.

dr6.5

Just to let any lads interested know that Jim Griffin in Tullamore has gotten in a good shipment of HPS ammo. All of it is in .308 caliber, but he has gotten in 155gr, 168gr, 175gr and 190gr.

Prices start at €52 per 50 for the 155gr. Not 100% sure of the prices for the other grainages, but it seems keen enough.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

Well done Jim
    Good pricing for HPS Ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

HPS ammo is excellent quality.

2 weeks ago I got a 1.5" group at 300m in Midlands with the 155g.

Another guy I was speaking to was using the same at 800m and was pleased with it.

Anyone have any recommendations on the best weight bullet? Most people seem to be using the 155g.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Using the HPS 155 aswell,
    I was banging a target consistantly at 630m on open mountainside in a 9moa crosswind last Sunday, good ammo at a good price.

leupold90 wrote: »
    ..........Anyone have any recommendations on the best weight bullet? Most people seem to be using the 155g.

The 155gr, unusually, seem to suit most every rifle regardless of twist rate, barrel lenght, etc. I have not seen another bullet that works so well in any rifle.

I started of using the 190gr. Good bullet, heavy bullet and surprisingly had the same trajectory/moa at 600yds as the 155gr.

I moved down to the 155gr and as said had the same properties as the 190gr. The 190 was better able to "buck" the wind conditions, hiwever the 155gr had a higher muzzle velocity and required less moa than the 190.

I then tried (and am currently using) 168gr. I am having as good a result with them as the 155gr, however to my mind the consistancy of the 168gr seems to suit my rifle better than the 155gr and again the 168 is better able to buck the wind requiring less moa in the same wind conditions than the 155gr.

Next on my list is the 175gr. Have been doing a little research into them to check for others performance results, but nothing quite gives you a good understanding of a bullets performance other than trigger time. :D

My advice would be to experiment. Try a box of each. Try fire them in as close as possbile wind conditions to give you a fair assessment of their performances.

The 155gr, unusually, seem to suit most every rifle regardless of twist rate, barrel lenght, etc. I have not seen another bullet that works so well in any rifle.

I started of using the 190gr. Good bullet, heavy bullet and surprisingly had the same trajectory/moa at 600yds as the 155gr.

I moved down to the 155gr and as said had the same properties as the 190gr. The 190 was better able to "buck" the wind conditions, hiwever the 155gr had a higher muzzle velocity and required less moa than the 190.

I then tried (and am currently using) 168gr. I am having as good a result with them as the 155gr, however to my mind the consistancy of the 168gr seems to suit my rifle better than the 155gr and again the 168 is better able to buck the wind requiring less moa in the same wind conditions than the 155gr.

Next on my list is the 175gr. Have been doing a little research into them to check for others performance results, but nothing quite gives you a good understanding of a bullets performance other than trigger time. :D

My advice would be to experiment. Try a box of each. Try fire them in as close as possbile wind conditions to give you a fair assessment of their performances.

Did you try lighter than 155grain at all? lowest I have seen is 110 love to hear some reports;)

No.

HPS don't do 110gr bullets in .308 cal. I have tried lighter grainage rounds and while able to make the distances i find they are woefully affected by the wind. A chap i shot with a while ago was using 123gr Sako rounds. They were flying straight and true, but when the wind died off his round went form the 5 score out to the 1 score. Mine on the other hand went from 5 to at worst 3/4.

Most any round will get you to the distance you want, but i personally would be looking for a more "forgiving" round that helps me overcome the wind or is not as affected by it.

No.

HPS don't do 110gr bullets in .308 cal. I have tried lighter grainage rounds and while able to make the distances i find they are woefully affected by the wind. A chap i shot with a while ago was using 123gr Sako rounds. They were flying straight and true, but when the wind died off his round went form the 5 score out to the 1 score. Mine on the other hand went from 5 to at worst 3/4.

Most any round will get you to the distance you want, but i personally would be looking for a more "forgiving" round that helps me overcome the wind or is not as affected by it.

I'm looking for the flattest true-est hunting round with good wind resistance if there is such a thing!

Ballistic tipped if possible, BT does some job upon impact
    I'm still waiting to try out 110 grain Tap

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

I'm looking for the flattest true-est hunting round with good wind resistance if there is such a thing!

Ballistic tipped if possible, BT does some job upon impact
    I'm still waiting to try out 110 grain Tap

How many rounds per year to you want to shoot?

How often can you afford to rebarrel?

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    How many rounds per year to you want to shoot?

How often can you afford to rebarrel?

TBH I'm a spendaholic. I could afford a re-barrel a year if necessary. Whats the point of earning money if you can't spend it?

I often fired 100 in a day, I often did not fire the .308 in months.
    I just like things that work well, when they are working!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

TBH I'm a spendaholic. I could afford a re-barrel a year if necessary. Whats the point of earning money if you can't spend it?

I often fired 100 in a day, I often did not fire the .308 in months.
    I just like things that work well, when they are working!

In that case you want something very hot in 6.5mm or 7mm, like, say, a 7mm STW or 7mm RUM

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    In that case you want something very hot in 6.5mm or 7mm, like, say, a 7mm STW or 7mm RUM

You never mentioned 7mm-08?
    I want a stalking rifle that can be used for a bit of long range in the off season.

I really want 2 rifles but I have to make do with one at the moment as another rifle would require too much hassle with a 5th licence etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You never mentioned 7mm-08?
    I want a stalking rifle that can be used for a bit of long range in the off season.

I really want 2 rifles but I have to make do with one at the moment as another rifle would require too much hassle with a 5th licence etc.

If you're just looking for that, then you should probably stick with your .308. If you want to do some long range target shooting, it's a damn fine round, and will do you fine for Irish stalking. If you wanted to re-barrel for its own sakes, then you could look at a myriad short action cartridges, even including the short magnums if you want to get your bolt replaced or opened up to allow the extra room required. I wouldn't go changing from what you have. Once you get into properly long range stuff, it's all about wind drift, because how flat shooting a cartridge is doesn't matter. That's why the 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm rounds do so well. Even the little 6mmBR Norma has won an awful lot of 1000 yard stuff, and it's a tiny little cartridge. Of course, you could sell your .223, split the difference and get something like a 6XC or a 6.5-284 Norma, which with appropriate bullets would do your varminting and seriously long range target shooting. norma load hunting bullets for both cartridges too. The 6XC is basically a better .243 Win, while the 6.5-284 uses the same bullets as the 6.5x55 but drives them hard enough to do a very efficient job, and both cartridges would also allow you to buy HPS target ammunition as well for your long range stuff, loaded with Sierra Matchkings.

Advertisement