Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.308 ammo

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

If you're just looking for that, then you should probably stick with your .308. If you want to do some long range target shooting, it's a damn fine round, and will do you fine for Irish stalking. If you wanted to re-barrel for its own sakes, then you could look at a myriad short action cartridges, even including the short magnums if you want to get your bolt replaced or opened up to allow the extra room required. I wouldn't go changing from what you have. Once you get into properly long range stuff, it's all about wind drift, because how flat shooting a cartridge is doesn't matter. That's why the 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm rounds do so well. Even the little 6mmBR Norma has won an awful lot of 1000 yard stuff, and it's a tiny little cartridge. Of course, you could sell your .223, split the difference and get something like a 6XC or a 6.5-284 Norma, which with appropriate bullets would do your varminting and seriously long range target shooting. norma load hunting bullets for both cartridges too. The 6XC is basically a better .243 Win, while the 6.5-284 uses the same bullets as the 6.5x55 but drives them hard enough to do a very efficient job, and both cartridges would also allow you to buy HPS target ammunition as well for your long range stuff, loaded with Sierra Matchkings.

It's just the .308 .223 thing. They were out of reach for so long.I's thought of getting a third rifle.

Maybe if I get bored in the summer with no college and 3.5 days off a week!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's just the .308 .223 thing. They were out of reach for so long.I's thought of getting a third rifle.

Maybe if I get bored in the summer with no college and 3.5 days off a week!lol

Like I say though, with a decent 6mm or 6.5mm, you could swap it all out for one rifle to do your varminting and deer shooting. Personally of those I'd take the 6XC. Its ballistics are as good with a 115gr DTAC as a 142gr SMK out of a 6.5-284, for significantly less recoil. Both will cost more than the .308 or the .223, but if you swapped for one rifle, you could be in good shape with the cost saved, and spend the money on a nice custom rig for yourself, which you're feckin' dying to do anyway!

Oh, and as you're a big fan of moly, the Norma Diamond Line competition ammo is all moly-coated Berger 105gr bullets, which are nice, so you could just run with that, or moly-coated SMKs, which HPS would load up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Like I say though, with a decent 6mm or 6.5mm, you could swap it all out for one rifle to do your varminting and deer shooting. Personally of those I'd take the 6XC. Its ballistics are as good with a 115gr DTAC as a 142gr SMK out of a 6.5-284, for significantly less recoil. Both will cost more than the .308 or the .223, but if you swapped for one rifle, you could be in good shape with the cost saved, and spend the money on a nice custom rig for yourself, which you're feckin' dying to do anyway!

Oh, and as you're a big fan of moly, the Norma Diamond Line competition ammo is all moly-coated Berger 105gr bullets, which are nice, so you could just run with that, or moly-coated SMKs, which HPS would load up for you.

it's bad enough lug around a 1stone rifle rig for bunnies.

No,I like my set up. I just might add to it:D
    I like my shotty and rifles. I need a left handed stock so many of those Custom jobbies are off the list, EG Unique alpine 6.5 284 offered to me a few months back at right money. I can't use one as the raised cheekpiece and pistol grip are on the wrong side for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

it's bad enough lug around a 1stone rifle rig for bunnies.

No,I like my set up. I just might add to it:D
    I like my shotty and rifles. I need a left handed stock so many of those Custom jobbies are off the list, EG Unique alpine 6.5 284 offered to me a few months back at right money. I can't use one as the raised cheekpiece and pistol grip are on the wrong side for me

Just buy a left-handed rifle and have done with it! It's worked for me so far. Infinitely more comfortable as well. If you've never had the opportunity to try it, I'll show you my Sako over the summer and you'll never look back.

Advertisement