Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get Bonzo into his kennel?

Options
  • 12-03-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Dog lovers,

I recently got a boxer puppy and I love him - so much so that I got him a lovely, purpose-built kennel, carpeted and all!

BUT, he won't go into it!

I've tried coaxing him in with a bone and with myself going in first, but all to no avail.

He seems to fear the small enclosed space - like he'd be entrapped in it.

Can anyone suggest anything please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Perhaps give him some time to get used to it, just leave it available to him with cosy bedding and the odd treat in there and he might pop in himself, could take a while though.

How is he with dog crates and other enclosed spaces?

A dog flap on the back door could be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Time and patience; maybe put his food just in at the door. So he will associate the kennel with food.

Our collie was locked in a dark shed for much of each day and all night for years before we took her in.

It has taken a huge amount of time and patience to get her to use doors without fear. She would get half in and then panic and get stuck. In out in out she would go.

When we came here, and we left her to sleep with the other dog in the main room, she would open every door to try to get out. Now she sleeps in the glassed porch and she is fine as she can see out.

Compromises to find something we are all happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jazzmaher

Perhaps give him some time to get used to it, just leave it available to him with cosy bedding and the odd treat in there and he might pop in himself, could take a while though.

How is he with dog crates and other enclosed spaces?

A dog flap on the back door could be another option.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jazzmaher

Graces7 wrote: »
    Time and patience; maybe put his food just in at the door. So he will associate the kennel with food.

Our collie was locked in a dark shed for much of each day and all night for years before we took her in.

It has taken a huge amount of time and patience to get her to use doors without fear. She would get half in and then panic and get stuck. In out in out she would go.

When we came here, and we left her to sleep with the other dog in the main room, she would open every door to try to get out. Now she sleeps in the glassed porch and she is fine as she can see out.

Compromises to find something we are all happy with.
    Many thanks for your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Open the door!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mayisuggest

Scent might have a lot to do with this.. a new smell might intimidate, throwing what the puppy slept on before into the kennel might help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 clevercanines

I'd feed his meal to him in the kennel, start off by just putting it in the doorway & gradually move it towards the back. Take your time & go at the dog's pace.
    He may also prefer if the kennel door faces the house/backdoor so he can see your house while he relaxes inside.
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dorothy Roxy

I had the same problem with my boxer when she was a puppy. Tryed everything to get her to go in and she refused everytime. I even tryed getting my 4year old nephew, who she follows everywhere, to go in but even with that she just stood at the door crying waiting for him to come out. One day i had the roof off the kennel and she was happily going in and out but when i put the roof back on she refused to go in. I bought one of the battery powered plastic lights in Dunnes and attached it to the inside of the roof, at night when it was bed time (it was during the summer so she slept outside) i put the light on and she went straight in.

I know it seems mad for a dog to be afraid of the dark but it really did work, eventually she she got used to it and doesnt need the light anymore.

I hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

jazzmaher wrote: »
    Hi Dog lovers,

I recently got a boxer puppy and I love him - so much so that I got him a lovely, purpose-built kennel, carpeted and all!

BUT, he won't go into it!

I've tried coaxing him in with a bone and with myself going in first, but all to no avail.

He seems to fear the small enclosed space - like he'd be entrapped in it.

Can anyone suggest anything please?

time is a virtue in these circumstances, just leave him get used to it, pop treats inside, does he have a favourite toy? if so maybe play with that around the kennel and then throw it near the kennel, then throw it just inside the kennel - whatever you do don't force him - also, the carpet - it may not last too long

Advertisement