Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog your expert advice

Options
  • 12-03-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    We would love to get a dog for our family , both of us work all day and our ds is picked up from school and brought here, would it be cruel to have a dog in a house for those couple of hours, our ds is an only child now and we know he would love a dog so much as would we would, any suggestions or will we just forget about it.
    Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

lgcoolroe wrote: »
    any suggestions or will we just forget about it.
    Ta
    an older dog that is already used to being on is own would be fine . but NOT a puppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Maybe if you got a puppy at the start of the summer so your child has lots of time to spend with it, and then when it's a few months older it might be ok to spend the day alone. You could maybe get someone to walk it in the middle of the day? Or if you'd consider getting two small puppies then they'd keep each other company? Or if you had a cat or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If I understand correctly, both adults are gone for the day, the dog would be alone half the day and then the child would take over supervision for the afternoon, yes?

The really important question that springs to my mind is: how old is the child?

Because effectively, it would be your child that is tasked with supervising, training and basic care of the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

Getting a puppy and leaving it inside while you're at work means lots of hard work training them and cleaning up. Puppies need house training if you intend to leave it inside and this means having patience. Trial and error in trying different approaches as to what works best. I had my rottweiler from eight weeks old and this meant newspaper over all the floors, lots of cleaning and then gradually removing sections of paper off the floor over time. This limits the area where the dog can do their business on the floor as opposed to anywhere they like. They begin to understand where they can and cannot pee. If you intend to leave your dog inside without supervision, you need to house train them. My rott now lays her head on the side of the armchair to let me know she wants to go outside to do her busniess. If this sounds like too much work, then I advise you not to get a puppy.

Advertisement