Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Perfect Dark XBLA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Cannot wait for this. hope i can remember the levels :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Interesting read, and i will certainly be picking up Perfect Dark on Wednesday, i'm trying to win a code for it on twitter as we speak.

"To please our friends in other timezones, anyone posting with the #PerfectDark tag by 9am GMT will go into a draw to win codes tomorrow. Go!"

http://twitter.com/RareLtd

800 ms points is a steal so i will be buying it regardless. I think a good few people from boards will buy it so we should try get some multiplayer games going when it comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Definately picking it up, although I've been told that it's pointless, seeing as I have it, and was only playing it a week ago, on my N64!:D

Definately picking it up, although I've been told that it's pointless, seeing as I have it, and was only playing it a week ago, on my N64!:D

Wanna play some online multiplayer? plus achievements :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Online Multiplayer, with Goldeneye weapons.

I'm sold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

VinLieger wrote: »
    Wanna play some online multiplayer? plus achievements :)

Plus delicious 60fps and 1080p gaming. With the new crown unlocks to do as well, the Paddy's Day hangover's never looked so good! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Plus all the old Goldeneye weapons to boot.:) Wish they had the Phantom SMG as a selectable weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Felicity with Goldeneye weapons = Nostalgic Heaven. I wonder if they'd reload in the super-fast Goldeneye style? If so, they'd be much better than the PD weapons!

Aside from the Farsight!

Plus isn't it the only fps to support 4 player splitscreen and you can play with 4 other players on live at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Mr. K wrote: »
    Felicity with Goldeneye weapons = Nostalgic Heaven. I wonder if they'd reload in the super-fast Goldeneye style? If so, they'd be much better than the PD weapons!

Aside from the Farsight!

who's Felicity?

• Advertisement

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    who's Felicity?

Your banned from playing PD or Goldeneye

Oh the nostalgia, plus theres an explanation of what felicity is for those who dont know

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-perfect-dark/17-2173/

1UP's Review: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3178368

Eurogamer's Review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/perfect-dark-review

Pretty good. They really emphasis the nostalgia factor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's just gone on Live right now, get downloading peeps.:)

Downloading now, cant wait to play with the laptop gun again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Played the trial, was like me and my 17 yr old self high-fived across time and space.

And I think its 4 player split-screen, well it has 4 spaces for picking players for MP modesd anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    And I think its 4 player split-screen, well it has 4 spaces for picking players for MP modesd anyways.

It it is indeed 4 player split screen!

Was a tad hesitant but I whipped it down there and I'm delighted; it looks and plays great, very smooth as I remember the framerate was a bit dodgey on the N64 as it was being pushed to its limits at the time. The character models although a tad wooden in their movement, which is to be expected as that's the way they were in the original, look great I must say. Brings back some great memories and I never actually got to finish it on the N64 so I'm gonna enjoy this in addition to being able to play it online! Nice one Rare, now if only they could do the same with Goldeneye...sigh.

Played a bit earlier, it's good stuff. Feels exactly like it used to, that's all I wanted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

if ive never played the original, can i enjoy this or is it too dated now?

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »

As long as you realise its a ten year old game, you will love it. There are some things that you have in modern shooters that aren't in PD, but theres more in PD then in any other fps ever!

I paid 60euro for modern warfare 2 vs 10 euro for this and theres 10 times the content in Perfect Dark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Try the demo. I feel the single player has dated extremely badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Plus all the old Goldeneye weapons to boot.:)

I think I read somewhere that all the Goldeneye Multiplayer maps also are included in the PD release as an unlockable item. Time to bring the old Klobb out of retirement ... :D
    As mentioned on kotaku

Worth trying the demo. Multiplayer is worth it if you've a few mates for splitscreen or co-op, good craic online too such a fast-paced game! Singleplayer is still quite good until the skedar come into it. Not so much because it has dated badly, the levels were pants at the time too. Same goes for the cutscenes. The game was quite ahead of its time so the way it has dated is more to do with the lack of signposting and engine restraints than the gameplay itself.

It's kinda designed so you breeze through it on Agent 1st so you kinda learn the levels, then Secret Agent with an extra objective + chance of getting killed, then Perfect Agent where you'd better already know the exact layout of the levels and where enemies are as one clip will kill you if you're caught unawares.

I think I read somewhere that all the Goldeneye Multiplayer maps also are included in the PD release as an unlockable item. Time to bring the old Klobb out of retirement ... :D
    As mentioned on kotaku

Facility, Complex and Temple are playable from the start, no unlocking required!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Just downloaded this last night. Its amazing how much the character movement has improved in the last 10 years. These guys look extremly camp with their giant running steps and straight backs.. Its like a benny hill sketch.

Also as stated above, the lack of any sign posting is something not seen today. Not a bad thing imo

Just downloaded this last night. Its amazing how much the character movement has improved in the last 10 years. These guys look extremly camp with their giant running steps and straight backs.. Its like a benny hill sketch.

Also as stated above, the lack of any sign posting is something not seen today. Not a bad thing imo

Thats depends the crash site level is just awful, there is absolutely no explanation on how or where to find elvis to finish the level

VinLieger wrote: »
    Thats depends the crash site level is just awful, there is absolutely no explanation on how or where to find elvis to finish the level

Ah but that's because it's so realistic! You've just crashlanded from Air Force One but it's okay as you're a super-secret special agent who can figure things out for themselves! :) Although the president's medical scanner is quite stupid, it's just a random briefcase peaking out of the snow by the airplane :mad: so watch out for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I'm with the above poster on this one. Figuring things out for yourself is much more rewarding. Plus the steep difficulty, no recharging health and no checkpoints are great. Kids these days have their hands held by games too much. Perfect Dark is forever!:D

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    I'm with the above poster on this one. Figuring things out for yourself is much more rewarding. Plus the steep difficulty, no recharging health and no checkpoints are great. Kids these days have their hands held by games too much. Perfect Dark is forever!:D

I get that figuring it out yourself is fun, but there isnt even a hint of "find elvis to finish the level" all it tells you to do on agent is find the pesident and then your left hanging

Advertisement