Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackson Browne, Cork.

Options
  • 13-03-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,913 ✭✭✭✭

JAckson Browne will be playing in The Marquee in Cork on the 23rd of June. Tickets between €38 and €55.

Really thinking of going to this if I can get the money together. Hope he comes to Castlebar though seeing as as there is a few days empty in his schedule around that time and the TF has a few empty spaces there too from what I can see.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'd love to make the trip down, but the Marquee is a terrible venue in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,913 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd love to make the trip down, but the Marquee is a terrible venue in my experience.

I've never been. Sound wise or just the layout?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'd disagree. Some of the best shows I've ever seen were in the Marquee: Crosby, Stills and Nash, Elton John, Roger Waters and Brian Wilson were all superb. I would admit that fully seated shows are less likely to succeed (CSN were the exception in my experience), and I'd be very curious to see how someone like Tony Bennett would fare there.

Jackson Browne and David Lindley worked pretty well in the Midlands a few years ago, though I thought the setlist was a little bit ill-chosen for a festival crowd who just wanted to hear lots of old material. I'm a huge fan, but not everyone was familiar with his later output, and he risked losing the crowd at times.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

I'd disagree. Some of the best shows I've ever seen were in the Marquee: Crosby, Stills and Nash, Elton John, Roger Waters and Brian Wilson were all superb. I would admit that fully seated shows are less likely to succeed (CSN were the exception in my experience), and I'd be very curious to see how someone like Tony Bennett would fare there.

Jackson Browne and David Lindley worked pretty well in the Midlands a few years ago, though I thought the setlist was a little bit ill-chosen for a festival crowd who just wanted to hear lots of old material. I'm a huge fan, but not everyone was familiar with his later output, and he risked losing the crowd at times.

This one is with David Lindley too. Does that mean it won't be a full band show? Or would it be an Elton John/Ray Cooper kinda job?

It'll probably be just the two of them, possibly with one other person doing random extra percussion or additional guitar. I've seen Jackson both with a band and solo acoustic a few times, and he's always been superb, one solo gig in the Olympia being particularly good. I'm not complaining about the set list at the Midlands, just making the point that it didn't suit a festival crowd that wasn't necessarily his own fan base.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

It'll probably be just the two of them, possibly with one other person doing random extra percussion or additional guitar. I've seen Jackson both with a band and solo acoustic a few times, and he's always been superb, one solo gig in the Olympia being particularly good. I'm not complaining about the set list at the Midlands, just making the point that it didn't suit a festival crowd that wasn't necessarily his own fan base.

http://www.jacksonbrowne.com/news
    From Jackson's website it seems that his band is also coming:
    Los Angeles, CA: Singer-songwriter Jackson Browne will take to the road this summer with his band and longtime friend and musical co-conspirator David Lindley. Comprising dates in the U.S. and Europe, the Jackson Browne with David Lindley Tour follows the May 11 release of Love Is Strange (Inside Recordings), a 2-CD live set capturing a tour of Spain that Browne and Lindley did in 2006.

Was the v good solo gig in the Olympia circa 2003? I remember being p*ssed that I didnt get tickets and then not going over to get a spare ticket that evening.

have been a fan for many years. Last years gig in then olympia was great, I was a little disappointed that he didnt play the Load Out / Stay as it is many years since I have heard it live. He seemed to imply that he was listening to fans' requests but didnt change setlist between the 2 nights. Midlands Music festival performance was also good, part of one one the best festivals ever to hit these shores.

I got my ticket - it will be my first time in the Marquee so looking forward to it. That's two gigs lined up now - Randy Newman and Jackson Browne. Still not sure about McCartney. he was unbelievable last year but I baulked at the price, may still go.

It has to be with a band for me, I'm a drummer so it doesn't feel right without the drums! :P

Will the tickets sell out fast do ye think?

Dixiefly - 2003 was excellent. It was with the band, and, yes, he did The Load Out/Stay, which was superb. The solo acoustic show in 2004 was a bona fide "by request" show. At the end, someone shouted out for Late for the Sky, which he thought he'd already done. He took a vote between whether to play that or Take It Easy, but ended up playing both. I liked the shows last year, 'cos the Time the Conqueror songs were much better live. Having said that, the second show was definitely the superior of the two. I'm not going to the Marquee show as I've got a ticket for Pearl Jam in the Odyssey that night, but I will be at Randy Newman. Can't wait for that. Always a five star show.

Mars Bar - In deference to your well-documented love of the drums, I'd argue that with Jackson, it's all about the voice. Which is pretty much unchanged.
    (PS, you do know Steve Gadd is playing in Dublin in April? For the insanely good price of 17 Euro. Worth a trip, perhaps?)

Mars Bar - In deference to your well-documented love of the drums, I'd argue that with Jackson, it's all about the voice. Which is pretty much unchanged.
    (PS, you do know Steve Gadd is playing in Dublin in April? For the insanely good price of 17 Euro. Worth a trip, perhaps?)

But the band is great too! I think I'll go either way. It's Jackson Browne after all!

Yeah I heard about Steve Gadd but with college exams around the corner then, I just won't have time to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Beam Me Up

Well, the concert last night was OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What a voice, Jackson can reach in and touch your soul. Good crowd too, they really got involved. Must have been close to 4,000 there.
    David Lindley was excellent and the band was superb.
    Superlatives apply.:):):)

• Advertisement

:( I didn't get to go.

I hate the world right now.

Advertisement