Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help understanding a 7 Day ban- because of avatar!

Options
  • 13-03-2010 12:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Logical: Avatar is visual ID tag and is not subject to moderation in the usual way- unless its offensive or down right distastful..:confused:

I,ve been constantly under the eye of one of the mods in shooting forum!
    At every corner he watching me!!

I'm not allowed talk about one particular subject (bow hunting)even though its related to hunting in general!! I tried to promote Bow Hunting via this forum at first it seemed OK but later it turned sour...

I'm here now because, now I'm a subscriber:rolleyes: and as all my forum Buddy's know me as a poster who is in favor of bow hunting i decided to use an Avatar as you can see here on the LHS..

You see the mods justification for the ban comes from the fact that i used to sign off my post as Ivanthebowhunter and for this he hit the roof!! :eek:
    He warned me that he'd ban me in a flash if i ever mentioned Bowhunting or signed off on another post as "ivanthebowhunter" so I stopped...

But now because of my avatar he's clamped a ban on me! FFS lads..
    the avatar is not offensive and its a symbol of who one is!!

Would i also be banned if i changed my name (as subscribers can do after request to IvandaBowHunter :rolleyes:

If its not in the post i fail to see how a mod can really have a say over it.
    Can some one help here!!!

Its a case of a mod to far!!!;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Right, I've spoken to the shooting mods who have advised me that bow hunting is illegal in Ireland. They have also told me that you have persisted in pushing the topic, despite numerous warnings not to. In fact you have already been told by at least two admins on previous Help Desk threads that you cannot discuss bow hunting. Signing off as "ivanthebowhunter" can only be seen as an act of provocation, and I have to say that I agree with the moderators that your avatar is a similar act of provocation, especially as your last 3 month ban only expired yesterday.

In fact, I think that the shooting mods have been extremely lenient with you so I'm going to take this a step further - until you change your avatar to something that does not include the words "bow" and "hunter", in any order, and does not include any images of a bow and/or arrow, you will not be permitted to post in any of the shooting forums. This also applies to any name changes including the word "bow".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Zaph wrote: »
    Right, I've spoken to the shooting mods who have advised me that bow hunting is illegal in Ireland. ".

And i'm i saying otherwise? I'm not going around telling people that it is legal...

Have you just decided that Avatars are a condonment of their depicted activities and could as such leave boards legally open! Don't make me laugh!

#########
    What i am saying is that it should be considered and debated as an option that could be legalised by the government..

As the system currently stands the only real option for any person wishing to get involved in hunting is a gun!! Many problem animals exist in areas where the discharge of such a firearm would be deemed highly dangerous- i.e. nuisance deer in and around residential areas and golf course but to mention a two..

There are plenty of other such issues that are discussed in 'shooting' such as reloading and wild boar release but these too are illegal here in little old Ireland.. Yet their discussed with a view to weigh up the pros and cons and with the overall aspect OK legalisation at some stage with luck.
    Shooting Mod is AFAIK anti hunting and barley tolerates its..Several times he has curtailed threads on Snaring and other such activities which don't rest easy with him!!

If I'm banned for proposing a serious alternative method to firearms thats the second largest method of animal harvesting in the world to date then its obvious that there are serious issues with over moderation and excessive censorship..

Do you realise that this method of hunting is currently practiced in 11 EU countries and Defera (UK) is considering it reintroduction in an effort to deal with excessive deer numbers..

Also that the EU has made a request to all member states to activity reduce the number of firearms within public ownership!!

Regards Ivan

PS To add insult to injury its some where beyond the realms of belief that a PAYING member is being banned from a particular forum because of his avatar!! Yes i have issues with the moderators take on the law and i have had to curtail my opinion to keep within their so called good books. But this is really a step too far....
    I can accept rules that restrict content but the imposing of restriction via PM to one individual is bullying!!
    Its obvious to anyone that posts in the shooting forum that theres no love loss between myself and one of the mods there and that this situation has existed fro over a year!!

PSS I'm just back after a 3 month ban?? I'm back months now..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And i'm i saying otherwise? I'm not going around telling people that it is legal...

Have you just decided that Avatars are a condonment of their depicted activities and could as such leave boards legally open! Don't make me laugh!

I never said anything of the sort. What I said was that as I've been advised, bow hunting is illegal in this country and the shooting mods have decided that there should be no discussion of it in the shooting forum.
    What i am saying is that it should be considered and debated as an option that could be legalised by the government..

As the system currently stands the only real option for any person wishing to get involved in hunting is a gun!! Many problem animals exist in areas where the discharge of such a firearm would be deemed highly dangerous- i.e. nuisance deer in and around residential areas and golf course but to mention a two..

And what you have been repeatedly told is that it's not up for discussion in the shooting forum, regardless of what reasons you may believe are legitimate for it to be legalised.
    There are plenty of other such issues that are discussed in 'shooting' such as reloading and wild boar release but these too are illegal here in little old Ireland.. Yet their discussed with a view to weigh up the pros and cons and with the overall aspect OK legalisation at some stage with luck.
    Shooting Mod is AFAIK anti hunting and barley tolerates its..Several times he has curtailed threads on Snaring and other such activities which don't rest easy with him!!

I have never frequented the shooting forum, I have no idea what reloading is, but quite frankly I don't care because those issues are not what's being discussed now. Because X is allowed Y should be too is not a valid argument and merely serves to try and cloud the issue at hand.
    If I'm banned for proposing a serious alternative method to firearms thats the second largest method of animal harvesting in the world to date then its obvious that there are serious issues with over moderation and excessive censorship..

Now we get to the crux of the matter. You are not being banned for proposing anything, and your claim of censorship is completely without merit. you were banned for repeatedly challenging the mods of a forum over the course of a year or more, and for constantly ignoring their instructions regarding the promotion of bow hunting in the shooting forum. Your previous method of signing off your posts was provocative, and when you were told to stop using it you turned to something designed to provoke the mods just as much. That sort of behaviour is unacceptable, and seeing as you've already ignored comments from two admins in the past, it seems that stronger measures are necessary.
    Do you realise that this method of hunting is currently practiced in 11 EU countries and Defera (UK) is considering it reintroduction in an effort to deal with excessive deer numbers..

And your point is? As it stands it's illegal here and that's all that matters. If and when it is made legal here then it's possible that it may be discussed on the shooting forum, or even in a forum of its own, but until then posters must follow the instructions of the mods or not post on the shooting forum at all.
    Also that the EU has made a request to all member states to activity reduce the number of firearms within public ownership!!

Personally I abhor guns and would completely outlaw private ownership of them all other than for target shooting purposes. The same goes for bows and arrows btw, unless someone wishes to take up archery, so to me you're no different to someone who hunts with a gun.
    PS To add insult to injury its some where beyond the realms of belief that a PAYING member is being banned from a particular forum because of his avatar!! Yes i have issues with the moderators take on the law and i have had to curtail my opinion to keep within their so called good books. But this is really a step too far....
    I can accept rules that restrict content but the imposing of restriction via PM to one individual is bullying!!
    Its obvious to anyone that posts in the shooting forum that theres no love loss between myself and one of the mods there and that this situation has existed fro over a year!!

I fail to see where this sense of entitlement is coming from just because you're a subscriber. Subscribers are expected to abide by the rules in exactly the same way as non-subscribers. Yes, you can have a custom avatar, but not one that is so obviously giving the finger to the mods of a forum. This situation has gone on for closer to two years, and as BuffyBot said to you last May, you've consistenly proven yourself to be a a disruptive influence in the shooting forum. This is the third time you've been banned, so if I were you I'd consider myself very lucky not to have been permanently banned from there by now. The shooting forum is busy enough without the mods constantly having to deal with rubbish like this, so my advice to you is that you play by the rules or look for another site where you can discuss bow hunting to your heart's content.
    PSS I'm just back after a 3 month ban?? I'm back months now..

Apologies, I misread the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Shooting Mod is AFAIK anti hunting and barley tolerates its
    Only if by barely tolerate it you mean I completely support it and love eating game and think that it's a more honest way to prepare food. Just because I don't do it doesn't mean I don't think it's right. I don't farm wheat myself, but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to toast.

You're crossing the line from a dispute over a specific issue into general mudslinging Ivan.
    You were banned because you repeatedly flout the forum charter as though it only applied to other people. If you wish to seek a change in the law which bans bowhunting, the Politics forum is where you should be posting. Posting it in Shooting is the same as proposing we talk about the best methods for poaching. It is not going to happen.
    Do you realise that this method of hunting is currently practiced in 11 EU countries and Defera (UK) is considering it reintroduction in an effort to deal wih excessive deer numbers..
    We don't live in any of those countries. We live in this one. Where it is specificially illegal. As in, there is a law specifically banning it, it's not like it's being caught by something aimed at something else.
    PS To add insult to injury its some where beyond the realms of belief that a PAYING member is being banned from a particular forum because of his avatar!
    In other words, in your continuing efforts to try to get around the charter, you've hit on the idea that if you pay a fee, the rules don't apply to you. This has been discussed before. The consensus (well, the unanimous decision if I'm blunt) was that those thinking that could request a refund and go find somewhere else to try to game.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And for the record, reloading is not illegal in Ireland. We wouldn't allow discussion of it if it was. And the alleged releases of wild boar and muntjac deer have not yet been officiall confirmed, they're just rumours.

• Advertisement

Sure its easy to see that my case was treated without an bias!:rolleyes:
    I only had a seven day ban from shooting and when i came here seeing if such a ban was allowed i left with a permanent ban.. Typical boards.iie justice IMO... Perhaps my opinion is tainted through my dealings with the heavy handed modding of sparks in shooting..

Zaph What do your personal views have to do with moderation???.. and any decision that you make here??

I'm referring to your comments that you'd ban the use of guns except for target shooting, ffs man what planet are you living on. You know thats the most idiotic suggestion that anyone here has ever made.. Can you Imagen a world where vermin are rampant (ye boards.ie) We humans have been activity managing our wildlife and nature for 10's of thousands of years.

In your idyllic world deer would live long lives free from molestation by mans evil hands and foxes would breed freely. Rat would be our friends and crows would guide us by day..
    WRONG- Deer would succumb to starvation and die horrific deaths, foxes would cause untold damage to livestock and threaten food production. Rat numbers would reach plague proportions that where only heard of in biblical stories........ And Hitchcock movies would be relived daily as children are attacked by marauding murders (that packs of crows- Townie!)

There are over 250,000 guns in Ireland and I say that 90% of them have killed animals at some stage or another. Some are killing everyday.
    Can you imagine the problems we have if those guns were not in constant operation.....:rolleyes:

Its just helps to prove a point- Some mods on this site are unable to deliver their moderation without impartiality.

I was banned not just simple because i used an avatar that was related to a subject that i was forbidden to post on but because i challenged the bully boy tactic of the mod known a sparks.

Yes of course i deserved some infraction- I'm no angel but I never fell out with any other mods. Sparks is too head strong and arrogant..

To suggest that an avatar can led to a ban by running foul of a specific charter of a sub forum is ridiculous at best..

I suppose this response is to be expected on a site that has very little in the way of posters who have personal avatar..

I came here & met some good folk but i also met one real P************** other than that all was good..

PS to Zaph

the one person that was a P********************lank was not you!

Just to let you know...... You didn't constantly bully me around so i have nothing to be angry with in relation to your modding, It is only the non-discript policy which seems made to suit that annoys me.

Advertisement