Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volkswagen Beetle??

• 13-03-2010 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I'm hoping to buy a used VS Beetle possible a 2002? Anyone know what I should be looking out for? Or what a car like this should be worth? I've done a bit of research and they seem to be between €5500 - €7500. But I'm clueless about cars and I don't want to end up paying above whats required. And I certainly don't want to end up with a lemon! Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Also, has anyone used motorcheck.ie? Is this reliable?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do you mean a V5? There are very few of them around, they're expensive to tax, hard on fuel and not that fast. They do make a lovely noise, though. I'd probably settle for a 1.8T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Hi my sis in law has one they are a lovley girly car. She has the 1.9 tdi with 100k trouble free miles. I drove it a few times and they are fun to drive as well. A 02 should cost u round 5 k i would say. Try uk they are very popular

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

SARASON wrote: »
    Hi my sis in law has one they are a lovley girly car. She has the 1.9 tdi with 100k trouble free miles. I drove it a few times and they are fun to drive as well. A 02 should cost u round 5 k i would say. Try uk they are very popular

Each to their own but I'd find it tricky to imagine anything more hideous. A Golf in a silly frock, with a stove/boat anchor up front for power.

p.s. Actually I'm wrong - a convertible version would be worse. You'd never put the roof down because of the noise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Each to their own but I'd find it tricky to imagine anything more hideous. A Golf in a silly frock, with a stove/boat anchor up front for power.
    I agree, but there is a big market for Golfs in silly frocks. I could never understand why anyone would want a Mk1 Audi TT over a Mk4 Golf V6, but they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The Bug wrote: »
    Hi, I'm hoping to buy a used VS Beetle possible a 2002? Anyone know what I should be looking out for? Or what a car like this should be worth? I've done a bit of research and they seem to be between €5500 - €7500. But I'm clueless about cars and I don't want to end up paying above whats required. And I certainly don't want to end up with a lemon! Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Also, has anyone used motorcheck.ie? Is this reliable?

Thanks in advance!

I had one in the US - loved it. However it was the 2.0 litre automatic, which are pricey here.

Never had a problem with it. Loved driving it - the windscreen is like looking thru a largescreen Plasma TV.

The only thing that was a pain in the arse was replacing the battery. It is shoe-horned in there, and took me 2 hours to remove the old one and install the new one.

As to general model reliability, it is mechanically a VW Golf, and therefore generally trustworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I'm assuming its a V5 Beetle you are looking at, they are grand engines (I drive a v5 toledo). They are hard on juice but sound lovely. The V5 isn't the fastest block but its not slow either ~170bhp. There isn't a whole lot to look out for just make sure it has service history, these engines go forever once they have had their oil changes on time. They also run off a timing chain so no worries about replacing a belt so often. Gearboxes can be a little notchy in these VWs so just make sure every gear engages correctly and there isn't any nasty crunching. Oh, and the tax is a killer.

**I just read the OP again, i think the OP meant "VW BEETLE".. how did I not spot that originally :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 The Bug

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah it was a VW (not VS) I meant, clearly spellings not my strong point :P

Looked at a few Beetles today from private sellers, brought my mechanic friend with me, all cars seem to have been in good nick. Got my friend to check the book value for 2002 or 2003 Beetles and it was almost 4 grand less than the average asking price! Turned me off a bit. No way I'll spend €7500 on a beetle when the recommended trade in value is €3700! Wonder what kind of offer I could make??

Also I was v surprised that I couldn't see any of the bonnet while driving it! Suppose thats something I'll have to get used to. Otherwise they have a great panoramic view!

The millage on a few of the Beetles I viewed seemed dodgy too. Does anyone know if there's a way to check if the odometer is genuine? And anyone know when the timing belt should be replaced on a Volkswagen? I heard after 60,000 miles...

Advertisement