Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sun-In?

• 13-03-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Do they still make this stuff? I remember using it YEARS ago when i was in 1st year in school, and then blow drying the sh1t out of it to get it lighter, but that was 10 years ago.... Want to lightly lighten my hair without going to the hairdressers [Trying to live on a budget :rolleyes:].

Do they still make it and if so where can I get my hands on a bottle? I'm assuming Boots or somewhere will sell it.

Does it work? If my memory serves me correctly, I dont think it worked too well back in the day, but maybe things have changed! If "Sun-In" isnt still around, is there something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

The other half went on a "sun in" seach a few months ago, tried all the usual places i.e Boots and other big chemists. He had no luck but ended up buying two bottles on ebay, it came from the US.

It does brighten the hair but is still subtle enough - I know he's been using it when I return home and the bedroom smells of coconut (current scent of Sun In)

Good Luck in your searches

Edit - it was new stock, has an expiration date of 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

PLEASE dont put sun in in your hair!!!!! :eek:
    it will turn it ginger :P lol maybe try salons for model nights were u get highlights for really cheap like 25 euro for a full head of highlights??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Sun-In recently in bigger Boots stores. I used it a few a years and was happy with the results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Sun-In was my first home dye at the age of about 12.(10 yrs ago aswell-so same one you were using) Have naturally dark blonde hair that lightens in summer,so gave this a go a few times. It did brighten my hair-but only in patches...( I didn't care too much at that age:))
    Nomatter how much I combed through, it still ended up patchy, brassy looking, and made my hair like straw regardless of what conditioner I used. I wouldn't really recommend it, but that's just from my experience-could work well in other people's hair.
    I still home colour, I've just used a garnier one for first time a few weeks ago as a last minute thing. Think it might be the Nutrisse range,Had a green kind of box,can't remember the exact colour but I know the girl on cover when I see it. Think she had long blonde hair,and a few light freckles maybe. (couldn't see it on website, but it's in dunnes)
    The colour is described as "light", but has actually given my hair a lovely bright, vibrant golden shade. I've had loads of comments on how nice a colour it is and how it looks quite natural-and my hair is still really soft weeks later!
    Will definitely be using it again.
    They do a semi-permanent range called Movida aswell-and have heard good reports about the condition it leaves hair in, but the colour will be alot more subtle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    PLEASE dont put sun in in your hair!!!!! :eek:
    it will turn it ginger :P lol maybe try salons for model nights were u get highlights for really cheap like 25 euro for a full head of highlights??

I second this !

Sun In made my hair soooo dry and half blondey half orangey! I used it when I was about 12, I was out in the garden in the sun all day after spraying practically the whole bottle on my hair.. lol!

Defo go to a hair dressers and ask when they need models! Some even do it for free. Most I've ever paid for highlights as a model is €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I used to worship Sun-in and used it alot. However it started to make my hair elastic. No joke!! We are not talking dry (that i could live with frizz ease are something). We are really talking ELASTIC!! I would comb my hair and each hair would immediately get sucked up into my scalp and I couldnt get it back down. It went into tiny little knots.

I cant describe it as nothing ever did this to my hair before. It just seemed to have lost all the protein or amino acids that built up the hair. It be like if you imagined if you had no bones in your body to hold your body up...just a complete blob on the ground. This is like what happened to my hair. Literally everything had been striped from it, and nothing would hold it down. I had to do a Britney Spears and shave it off and there was no way to fix it, and it looked extremely odd.

After that experience i went to a professional hair dresser. It cost €200 so I only went twice. Last time I used Garnia Nutresse, and this seemed to give a more healthy effect. It is quite dry. The best was the hair dressers, as my hair never felt dry when they did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

I have seen sun in in the larger boots stores too but it was hidden way down on the bottom of the shelves and covered in dust:) obvioulsy not a huge seller these days!! A friend of mine used to use this too when we were in school again about 10 years ago:eek: and it did turn her hair a strawberry blonde/ ginger colour. she was naturally mousey brown. It also made her hair like straw and really brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kizzle

much cheaper alternative to sun in and highlights... lemon juice!

if you are planning on lying in the sun for the day comb it through your hair and it helps bring out the highlights! a friend of mine and i did this when were in spain las year and it worked, only it might be a lot slower to work than sun in!

Advertisement