Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where for a pint

Options
  • 13-03-2010 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

So I bought a house in D3 and I would appreciate some clues about where to go for nice pint over there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Beachcomber in Kilester, especially next week for Cheltenham ;)

Dublin County North Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I think you've mistaken AH for the DUBLIN forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Beachcomber in Kilester, especially next week for Cheltenham ;)
    Are there gonna be any tracksuits? I've got a fecking allergy to them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Dr_Phil wrote: »

Then you're in the wrong county, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A Pub?

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    A Pub?
    Which one? I used to go to Quinns, but Gaffney's sounds cool.. whats worth a go lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Loads, pop down to The Yacht in Clontarf if you wish to avoid the 'riff raff', tell G Ryan I said Hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Which one? I used to go to Quinns, but Gaffney's sounds cool.. whats worth a go lads?
    I like Sally Longs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

So I bought a house in D3 and I would appreciate some clues about where to go for nice pint over there?

You should go to barcode. How can you go wrong when it has reviews like this

Is there actually anyone who wants to meet and have a little pub crawl around D3?

@ No barcode, thanks... Heard of a guy killed at Fairview Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved from After Hours.

Moved from After Hours.
    Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good woman.

Fixed that for Doc, just glad your not a gynecology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if its a 'pint' your after then go to gaffneys in fairview, its not far from dublin 3 (its actually in d3)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

The Yacht - Newly refurbished, looks like Cafe en Seine. Younger Crowd. Music.
    Clontarf Castle - Posh pretensions, older buisness-man crowd. No music.
    Harry Byrnes - Old School Redbrick pub, no music except occassional trad band. Great for the rugby.
    Beachcomber - Older crowd, betting slips and tracksuits not uncommon.
    The Fingal - Lovely 'beach' front pub. Golfing societies and trad music. Older local crowd. Semi-working class, but good fun. No music.
    The Parlour Bar - Piano bar (Piano is rarely played though :confused:) Marble coutertops and a bit schmaltzy. Music on weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Harry Byrne's is one of the best pubs in Dublin. Great outdoor section, it does get packed at times though. They have real barmen too, who know how to do multiple orders at once. Good for watching a match, but there are quiet corners too if all you want is a chat.

Kavanagh's on the Fairview end of the Malahide Road is another kind of Old School pub, the barmen actually walk around at 11.30 asking if you want anything else for Last Orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Cant believe no one has mentioned the Sheds.

Great little pub

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cusack's on the North Strand is a good pub.
    +1 on Gaffney's in Fairview too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Des wrote: »
    Harry Byrne's is one of the best pubs in Dublin. Great outdoor section, it does get packed at times though. They have real barmen too, who know how to do multiple orders at once. Good for watching a match, but there are quiet corners too if all you want is a chat.

I cant believe Des is the only one to mention Harry Byrne's,its the best pub in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Agreed on Kavanaghs, great local.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Dub13 wrote: »
    I cant believe Des is the only one to mention Harry Byrne's,its the best pub in the area.

While I like it and drink in it...well... it's a bit golfbally posh. There's a lot of yellow V neck sweater/ black rollneck combo action going on in the bar.
    Also there's is a long standing barman there that pours the Guinness right up on one pour, well ok he leaves it about 15mm shy of the top and the 2nd pour is merely a top up. I've questioned him more than once on this and wasn't impressed with his reply each time..."it's the future". Hmmm, his golfy bar prop cronies agreed. "Golfing, as a hobby, is nearly too good for that lot of ye" I thought to myself.

Cusack's by a long mile ftw in D.3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

humberklog wrote: »
    Also there's is a long standing barman there that pours the Guinness right up on one pour, well ok he leaves it about 15mm shy of the top and the 2nd pour is merely a top up. I've questioned him more than once on this and wasn't impressed with his reply each time..."it's the future". Hmmm, his golfy bar prop cronies agreed.

I bet you a pound to a penny that you couldn't tell the difference between a single pour and a double pour pint in a blind test.

It's a marketing gimmick, a myth propagated by Guinness and sustained by Diageo.

Here's why.

Back in the day, Guinness WAS double poured, because it came from two different casks. The first pour was from a fresh cask, the second lot in was from an older cask, which had been left to mature. The skilled barman would know the mix that each customer preferred, and the taste difference between the two casks was vast.

That was before the days of the nitro-pint though.

As I said, pound to a penny. :) I bet you I could even trick you on a visual test too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That's as maybe Des but it's a bit like cork in a wine bottle for me. It's the asthetics of it all.

I never really go on about good/bad Guinness. It's very rarely that I'd notice a funny one as it's always too cold these days. But I do like to see it all going on. The 2/3 then 1/3 pour is what I'm programmed to experience and I've splashed a lot of cishcash over the years on that programme.

Asthetics...and conditioning. And I don't like being told. And I like waiting. And I don't like his golfy buddies.

Great choice I see I have, thanks for all the suggestions folks. Once I settle in the new place I will have to give a try and test few of them. Some of them seem to be really nice from what I read here. Thanks again.

PS: Up until now I didn't have a clue about double poured Guinness!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Very interesting about the double poured Guinness,I will be using that in my next sh1t talk session in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah according to the internet the double pour thing is obsolete. Still though, I like it to be. Tradition n'all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Harry Byrne's looks really nice, but no comfortable seats. And it's packed with total ARSEHOLES!!! I never saw so many pin stripe shirts, suit jackets, jeans and shoes in my life last time I was there. Stinks of upper-middle-classness. I used to like it but I don't sit well with those types.
    Beachcomber is lovely for a pint, nice crowd there. I live closest to Kavanagh's though, they serve late there, must have been pushing midnight last night when got last pint, not bad for a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

judas101 wrote: »
    Cant believe no one has mentioned the Sheds.

Great little pub

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

lol from that site someone posted earlier, check this for a review of Barcode

d place is kickn thursday 2 sunday d place 2 be.we all go dwn d barcode and reck it.3 euro a drink wat mre do i av 2 say d bouncers d nly ting dat ruin d ngt

• Advertisement
Advertisement