Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairview Park- Avoid in the Evenings!!

Options
  • 13-03-2010 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

Just to let people know there is a group of teenaged thugs people hanging around at the bottom end of fairview park, adjoining annesley bridge road where it comes off north strand.

At about 6:05pm this evening i almost became a mugging victim by this gang- how it happened was, I was walking home from work through the park, i got to the end of the park, i was walking past this gang of lads sitting on a bench, and kept walking another 20 metres; all this time i had my phone in my hand because i was sending a text to a mate, next thing this guy on a bicycle went past me and tried to snatch my phone out of my hand-

fortunately i've a strong grip so he failed in that attempt. he cycled about 12 metres further then swung around, and cycled back towards me. i had shrugged this off as a bit of nonsense horseplay, but then he whizzed straight up near me, and shouted 'GIVE ME YOUR ****IN' PHONE!!'. I shouted no, he then proceeded to dismount, lift the bike up above his head and hurl it at me!:eek:i thrust my arms up just in time to shield myself (i had previous training in kenpo karate) so the bike bounced off my hands, he roared his threat again, and i looked over at his other mates on the bench, so I decided to do a legger out of there as quickly as possible (i know its cowardly, but he wasn't on his own so i would be easily outnumbered if i stood my ground):eek: as soon as i was out of the park I ran as far as the fire station on the corner of north strand and east wall road and rang the gardai, the gardai eventually got to where i was and told me they would take a look around the park to see if any of the gang were still around.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to warn anyone walking through fairview park in the evening that there is a gang of young thugs hanging about, and if they think you're a legitimate target, then they'll go for you, and they'll have no qualms about resorting to physical violence!!basically, if you get to the shady area of the park, past the playground, and you see a group of people crowded around the bench, avoid at all costs!!
    *hoping that those little ****ers will get their comeuppance, i'm still really shaken from this incident and really pissed off as well!:mad::mad::mad::mad::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

fairview park has always been a ****hole, in my teens I was playing basketball there one afternoon and a gang of scum just took off on my bike, i followed but there wasnt much I could do as they were older and they were many. Scummers.

Its a kip of a place.

remember this poor guy
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0529/student.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Why do you have to go through the park ijn the evenings.

Do you work in Eastpoint Business Park and takng a short cut?

I would just avoid Fairview Park after dark full stop.

There was an Italian left in a coma after an atatck in the park many years ago, its a rough area beside it, Eastwall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

****in scumbags, hope that fecker rots in jail, yeah i'm 6ft1, 24 years old,well built and reasonably healthy, the bloke who threw the bike at me looked like he was off his skull on something, he was being egged on by his mates on the bench-i figured that if i stayed and fought he'd have had no qualms about getting his mates over to help him, and seeing as no-one else was around, i would've ended up in intensive care!:eek: i seriously hope they get caught in the act be the gardai or park security before someone gets killed:mad::mad:

Why do you have to go through the park ijn the evenings.

Do you work in Eastpoint Business Park and takng a short cut?

I would just avoid Fairview Park after dark full stop.

There was an Italian left in a coma after an atatck in the park many years ago, its a rough area beside it, Eastwall

I work in clontarf and routinely walk along the seafront there till i get to fairview and then walk through the park- i've been doing that for 2 years now, no hassle: keeping in mind this wasn't after dark, it was still bright out, with these longer evenings we've been having lately. i've noticed gurriers hanging out in the park but i've always managed to avoid them. that story about the italian sounds shocking, i hope the prick who did that rots in jail for the rest of his life-no parole, ever!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

The OH saw what looked like a stone thrown through a door on annesley bridge road yesterday evening, so probably same gang. Think the cops were around at this stage as well.
    In general would avoid the park after dark (I think this counts for any park in Dublin?). You do get more 'activity' around when there's something on in barcode as well. When are they closing that place down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

bbbbb wrote: »
    The OH saw what looked like a stone thrown through a door on annesley bridge road yesterday evening, so probably same gang. Think the cops were around at this stage as well.
    In general would avoid the park after dark (I think this counts for any park in Dublin?). You do get more 'activity' around when there's something on in barcode as well. When are they closing that place down?

Not soon enough!
    I'm not from that area or even go there often, but on the rare occassion i've ventured to this part of the city there's usually a fight going on or a beating being dished out.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

bbbbb wrote: »
    You do get more 'activity' around when there's something on in barcode as well. When are they closing that place down?

That's just an old rumour. AFAIK they're not knocking it down. There was a dispute over the planning permission they originally had and their adherence to it. As a result they had to decrease the length of the bar inside but that's it. It's not closing down.

OP I think just some common street smarts is needed is all. Don't be flashing your phone when your walking by them. I know it's unfair but at the same time why should you not walk through and enjoy the park and let them mark it as their territory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It wasn't cowardly to run - it was the sensible thing to do.

Apart from the Italian guy who was left in a coma, a young man (Declan Flynn) was kicked to death in Fairview park years ago by scum who 'thought he was gay'. Then there was the more recent case of Barry Walsh who was also kicked to death following a night out. I live close to it and used to regularly walk the dog up there, but never in the evenings or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Sorry to hear your story OP, unfortunately there is a sizeable minority of people who have no conscience robbing from others or doing them serious harm. I lived in Marino myself for a few months and while I loved the area there is a noticeable presence of scumbags who bring the area down.

Often saw guys playing cricket there and once a gang of teenage scumbags decided to take their ball. These guys had cricket bats and there were plenty of them but the scumbags still had no problem causing them hassle. Also saw 2 young lads smash a car window and take a bag from inside and another 2 lads robbing a bike. The number of mopeds, bikes and cars even that are in the canal beside the park is incredible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Talk to your local SF counciller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

Fairview Park has always been an awful kip. Aside from the 2 major cases mentioned on here there have been numerous serious incidents there over the years.

Unfortunately you need eyes in the back of your head most places you go these days. Its not just in the evenings or after dark either.

I was in the city centre near Kevin Street, broad daylight, and three little 17-20 year old scumbags came up and told me they wanted my phone and my money. To be honest, and I'm not naive, I was a bit suprised to be in that situation on a busy road/street at 1pm in the afternoon.
    I didn't get my brain in gear and leg it. I was, though, lucky enough to scare them off by badly hurting the first one who made a move towards me with a single punch (i've boxed for years) and the other two didn't fancy it anymore.

However, I really should have run for the hills. That should definitely be most peoples plan A. Not a week later a lad was stabbed not far from where the incident happend. Even if you have some form of self defence you never know if a knife or syringe or something else is going to come out.

It's a sad state of affairs but you really have to be on your toes all the time now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Been around that way a few times and always felt a bit on edge. As one of the posters said above it's the same in most parks in Dublin. Where i'm from there's a laneway connecting to a couple of of football pitches where I used to bring the dog to run about 10/11 at night as he was a GSD and meant to be on the leash at all times. Similar to you OP walking along about the enter the lane and txting, the lane is V shaped, I could see about 5/6 lads standing on either side of the lane, and the said loud enough for me to hear "we'll rob the next person that walks through here"

So I proceed to whistle for the dog, he comes running up and sits in front one of the lads snout to balls, the hardman then proceeded to nearly **** himself while begging me to get the dog away form him.

I've no doubt it would have had a different outcome if the dog wasnt there.

btw you were not a coward for running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I lived two door's away from that scumbag bastard Jimmy Osbourn (the guy who bottled Guido), a worse family of out & out knackers you'll never come across.

OP, running away was the best and most sensible thing you done.

People ask me about martial arts all the time (Judo is my passion) and what I'd do in that very scenario, I tell them to run out of the area as quickly as possible.. Well usually I tell them to avoid the situation first but Fairview park doesn't have that dangerous feel to it.

I'm glad that physically your ok, the shock will wear off I promise.

I thing I've found with that kind of shock/upset is to talk to people, I've been through it many times (I worked on doors in pubs & clubs for over 15yrs) and really the best thing to do - yap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

spurious wrote: »
    It wasn't cowardly to run - it was the sensible thing to do.

Apart from the Italian guy who was left in a coma, a young man (Declan Flynn) was kicked to death in Fairview park years ago by scum who 'thought he was gay'. Then there was the more recent case of Barry Walsh who was also kicked to death following a night out. I live close to it and used to regularly walk the dog up there, but never in the evenings or night.

More recently, (maybe 3 months ago) there was a chap killed on his way back from barcode there. Guido Nasi (the Italian chap) was only playing football with his pals when he was bashed with a bottle, leaving his brain damaged.

About a year ago my missus was at the lights at the junction there where you called the cops and some scumbags tried to hijack her.

Running was the sensible option considering the circumstances but the little arsehole only threw the bike at ya because he's afraid to get into a tangle, aggression is the only way with these little pox's if ya ask me. While my other half was on her own and an easy target that day, it was lucky in her case that im a local and could be there sharpish. It didnt take long to have a name but it was a week before I bumped into him and was able to guarantee she'll never have any issue passing that area again.

We also got pulled outside the fire station there by the feds wondering why we looked shifty (3 car loads), when we told them what we were at they said, "best of luck to yas lads".

My advice, Avoid the particular area altogether if possible, no point in taking unnecessary risk but if you need to go through there and you find anyone testing you, get aggressive, even if your not intending to go to ground with these, they'll be reluctant to get involved if your not intimadated and are well up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Reading this thread makes you think what a ****hole this city that I love has become.
    I'm just back from a week in Amsterdam, stayed in the centre and was out til all hours. not once did myself or the oh feel threatened or intimidated. Not once did we see tracksuit clad scummers. no junkies, no beggers. Its actually plesant to walk down small dark alleys after dark there as you'll find a lovely local boozer.

Why can't the authorities get the finger out and do something about the anti social behaviour that goes on in this city?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

dan1895 wrote: »
    I'm just back from a week in Amsterdam, stayed in the centre and was out til all hours. not once did myself or the oh feel threatened or intimidated. Not once did we see tracksuit clad scummers. no junkies, no beggers. Its actually plesant to walk down small dark alleys after dark there as you'll find a lovely local boozer.

I had much the same experience there. No shortage of junkies, I'm sure, but I didn't once feel threatened. What do you think the answer is? I would have said "more police", but I honestly can't remember a greater police presence there.

Is it just a question of social exclusion? People who don't feel they have a stake in a place don't give a damn what they do to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I never felt fully at ease in Amsterdam..not exactly worried but just didn't feel completely safe...lot of shady individuals there..although I suppose it's probably nicer away from the coffee shops :D

Back on topic, it's always been a bit dodgy up there after dark..lot of junkies heading in for thei fix and kids drinking etc...I know as a public park we shouldn't feel you have to avoid it as in theory it is ours but c'est la vie I'm afraid.

First time I saw a guy with a gun was there now that I think of it. Was about 5pm in summer so very bright and lots of traffic/people waiting for buses etc. Was doing work experience years ago and two guys came out of park and crossed the road towards the opticians oblivious to rush hour traffic when one just pulled it and waved it around in the air before putting it back in his jacket and legging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Live acss the road from teh park myself and has always been bad. I remember playing football about 5 years ago and mopeds keep going onto the pitch and ruin the game.

In all honesty OP its common sense to avoid the park at all costs. Surprising you only discovered this now after 2 years

In the 2 years i was walking through there i saw lots of dodgy things going on , drug dealing and people openly drinking cans, plenty of teens sitting on benches as well, but everytime i walked past them i'd just get a smart remark from them or nothing at all.up until now i figured they were just lads hanging about, as teenagers do, didn't see much of a threat from them, it looks like I seriously underestimated them though!

I had much the same experience there. No shortage of junkies, I'm sure, but I didn't once feel threatened. What do you think the answer is? I would have said "more police", but I honestly can't remember a greater police presence there.

Is it just a question of social exclusion? People who don't feel they have a stake in a place don't give a damn what they do to it?

Well Meeja, that's a good question to ask,it could be a case of both. however, even if they feel they don't have a stake in an area or they feel excluded from the community, attacking and mugging random people is definitely not the way to deal with it.Frankly, there's absolutely no excuse for that kind of behaviour.at all.Not to sound angry or hysterical but that's honestly the way i feel about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Degsy wrote: »

Why SF??

Degsy wrote: »

I'll choose to take that as constructive advice,however i DON'T live in the area,i'll have a hard time locating the SF councillor for that area and frankly, the next time i pass through there it'll definitely by public transport, not on foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

dan1895 wrote: »
    Reading this thread makes you think what a ****hole this city that I love has become.
    I'm just back from a week in Amsterdam, stayed in the centre

So you didn't wander around public parks on the fringes of the city in working class areas at night?

It's an unfortunate byproduct of having green areas in cities and on the fringes of cities, New York, Dublin, Ho Chi Min City all suffer from the same problems. They can all be a bit dodgy at dusk and at night time.

I'm not excusing what happened to the OP or to other people who have had bad things happen to them, but when a (good) decision is made to have public parks, you will always attract undesirables. Fairview park offers good cover, good views of approach routes, excellent escape routes and plenty of hiding places. Any soldier will tell you that.

Interesting way of looking at it John Rambo, but it is possible have an green space without undesirables, all fairview park needs is a proper dedicated security/park warden presence, since the security in the park is a serious joke right now! all it consists of is a warden's van driving through once or twice a day or the odd garda car doing a circuit around the place:(

John_Rambo wrote: »
    So you didn't wander around public parks on the fringes of the city in working class areas at night?

It's an unfortunate byproduct of having green areas in cities and on the fringes of cities, New York, Dublin, Ho Chi Min City

The parks are lovely in Saigon, and at night the only people hanging around are the young couples., very civilised imo.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

I lived two door's away from that scumbag bastard Jimmy Osbourn (the guy who bottled Guido), a worse family of out & out knackers you'll never come across.

I wouldn't post my exact previous address on boards ;)

Masada wrote: »
    The parks are lovely in Saigon, and at night the only people hanging around are the young couples., very civilised imo.,:)

I agree, the parks are lovely. It's not called Saigon any more, hasn't been for a long time. Believe me, there are a lot of undesirables and incidents (usually down to heroin) in the parks at night. Just cause you don't hear about them and you don't see anything on your holidays doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It is like that in just about every city in the world. Just because you went somewhere on holidays for a week or so an 'never felt threatened' doesn't mean that you went to the crappy areas. Chances are you stayed in the tourist spots. Living in a city means you know where the threatening places are in the evenings. Tourists wander around in a naiive bubble.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I agree, the parks are lovely. It's not called Saigon any more, hasn't been for a long time. Believe me, there are a lot of undesirables and incidents (usually down to heroin) in the parks at night. Just cause you don't hear about them and you don't see anything on your holidays doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

The natives don't call it Ho Chi Minh, they still call it Saigon.(the other side of the family are from there)., I've walked them myself at night and found the place to be very peaceful. Going back in a month too, its my second home.,:)

• Advertisement

Fair enough, stunning place, but I have been there and other places enough times to know to be wary of urban parks at night!!

Off topic sorry mods, but can you buy property there now that you are married to a Vietnamese girl?

Advertisement