Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt ban in New York restaurants

Options
  • 13-03-2010 9:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

I actually double blinked when I saw this headline on the DM website.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1257414/New-York-restaurants-face-salt-ban-new-health--causing-chefs-blood-pressure-soar.html

Is this real? Do I take it with a pinch of salt? :pac:

Im by no means a salt fiend, but I think this is taking things too too far. Additives and colourings grand, I get it, but salt when used properly - as chefs know how to do, is not going to kill you the few times you eat out. I know folk eat out alot more in NY, but even so, I see friends use it to levels where I would find the food unedible, so people are going to dose it anyway. Little crack baggies of salt will be in every handbag in NY!

This would never work in Ireland, would it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Lol, sounds dodgy. They're planning on taxing soft drinks served also.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Damn, they took it too far. It was a good idea to ban transfats because they have no role in a person's diet and you wouldn't notice anyways but salt has numerous uses and benefits both for the body and for cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

Such Craziness! I'm not a huge lover of salt, but you still need it in most things not on most things. They should take it off the tables but leave it in the kitchen, if they really want to do something. Only in America!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

The salt plan is lunatic, but taxing soft drinks seems different. Things get taxed all the time. It's not the same as a ban.

It is a bit nannyish to link it to health, but that's probably the only way to get support for a new tax in the US. It's the way we use the environmental excuse, appropriate or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Restaurants should be allowed use whatever they like, its ridiculous. They should be allowed to serve plates of salt with a side of additives and preservatives if they wish.

Its up to the customer to decide whether or not they want it. The nanniness of the whole thing is ridiculous.

Next thing will be that you have to finish your veg before they are allowed to serve you dessert :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

and where does Bathsalts fit into all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

molloyjazz wrote: »
    and where does Bathsalts fit into all this?
    Joking aside this is a good point. They will probably now use other additives instead of salt which could very well be worse ( like the headshops). I could imagine them using MSG now, or potassium salts as replacements. Or there could be another way around it, like using ingredients which already have salt or something.

I don't see why they could not have just set a limit, if they were to do anything at all.

well were all used to the MSG here, well anyone who has had any chinese takeaway before.

Ribotide is the new Salt.. apparently, although not much to be found on the long term affects of this stuff.

heres the MSDS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I think it's a stupid idea. I saw a report on it on TV: they will still allow salt at the table so the diner can add as nuch as they like... sounds like it might end up that people might even add some salt than the chef would have! Stupid laws often result in achieving the opposite of the intended effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

this is a good thing!

really though salt is a very important ingredient making pasta! so it doesnt stick to the pot :p

im not a huge salt fan to be honest think it just masks badly cooked food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It's completely ridiculous - it should be the other way around, take the salt cellars off the table but leave it in the food! Food that is salted correctly during cooking doesn't require additional salt at the table, and the right amount of salt completely alters the flavour of a dish. You don't have to add handfuls to everything, but seasoning is important to stop food tasting bland!

My local indian restaurant cooks all of their desserts without added sugar, and has now extended that to cooking their meals without added salt. The desserts are great, because the ingredients in a dessert have natural sweetness, and he'll use honey instead of processed sugar to make something a little sweet. However, it means the main courses - even with all that spice, and all the flavour we associate with Indian food, still tastes like something is missing - and you're more likely to clumsily oversalt at the table with horrible processed muck instead of having some natural sea salt added in cooking.

Advertisement