Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puncture

• 13-03-2010 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭

Just got back on the bike yesterday after about 12 weeks out with dislocated shoulder. Myself and the better half took a spin out to Ringsend. We felt the back of the bike throw us a bit turning onto that new bridge over the liffey. I don't know if it was this that caused the punture or the fact that the tyre was already deflating that threw us a bit.

Anyway, got to Ringsend and noticed a flat back tyre. Luckily I have AA so called them out and they plugged the hole. That got me home and the pressure is still in the tyre.

Are these plugs temporary or are they good enough to carry on? The tyre is in good condition so don't particularly want to have to shell out for a new one, but if thats only temp then I'll just get a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Are these plugs temporary or are they good enough to carry on? The tyre is in good condition so don't particularly want to have to shell out for a new one, but if thats only temp then I'll just get a new one.

I had the exact same thing happen, and the actual answer is "it depends". I have the rescue package from AON, and when I rang them the fellow from the mobile bike tyre company (now gone I think) said that I was lucky with the hole (Nail) as opposed to a slit from eg glass.

I had only got the new tyre fitted about a month previously so didn't want to have to shell out another €200 odd.

What I would recommend is going to a bike shop and asking them. The AA in fairness know their cars, but the bike tyres put up with a lot more forces than the car ones, so it would be best to ask someone that should know. It'll hold up for normal commuting I'd say, but a brisk spin on wicklow backroads might work it loose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Go and get the inside of the tyre patched (with a vulcanised patch)and it should b perfect,dont leave the plug in long term,its ok on a car but not a bike,as it plugged ok its oviously not a very big hole so a patch will surfice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

cheers nereid & tyreman. I've only just ordered a new front tyre last week so when that lands I'll get the back tyre looked at then & patch or replace it

Advertisement