Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP Monopoly in Limerick Apartments

Options
  • 13-03-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

I moved into a new apartment just over a year ago and it's pretty nice. Secure building, free internet, tv etc. Sounds pretty good right? Wrong! The internet, phone and tv are all managed by a limerick company called [removed]. All the phones go through a PBX in the building which means no 3rd party adsl. Chorus are not allowed in the building which means no cable option. You can upgrade from the disgraceful 512K to 2Mb for 30€ which is very pricey when compared to other options. Plus the switch is now dying a couple times a week and it takes them 24 hours to restart it.

Anyone else suffer with this problem? Can I complain or should I just move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

couldnt you always use some sort of wireless provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Im guessing you probably live in The Strand,weren't u aware of these restraints when you moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

phill106 wrote: »
    couldnt you always use some sort of wireless provider?
    Yeah, I supposed I could but I can't live with a 10GB cap or whatever it is.
    Im guessing you probably live in The Strand,weren't u aware of these restraints when you moved in?
    No I wasn't. Perhaps it's a life lesson and I should have read the contract more closely. It certainly wasn't pointed out to me by the agency. Still it seems wrong. They have no incentive to provide a quality service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Free The Strand 1 !!!!

- The rental Market is very much in your favour right now Stefan - Why not get on Daft.ie and look at other options around the City and Suburbs?

I must warn you though that Public Transport here in Limerick is 150-200 years behind wherever you are originally from......

Raiser wrote: »
    Free The Strand 1 !!!!

- The rental Market is very much in your favour right now Stefan - Why not get on Daft.ie and look at other options around the City and Suburbs?

I must warn you though that Public Transport here in Limerick is 150-200 years behind wherever you are originally from......

Too be honest I'd love to. Just so busy at work and the thought the filling up 3 vanloads with my girlfriend's stuff is not very appealing :P It'll be happening soon though if something doesn't change.

• Advertisement

I've a few friends in the Strand,they had to go get their own internet service in at a cost of 60 euro per month.

I've a few friends in the Strand,they had to go get their own internet service in at a cost of 60 euro per month.

Any details? The management company told me that basically any 3rd party internet is forbidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mobile broadband? at least you wont be sharing it with every other apartment if the signal is ok

krudler wrote: »
    Mobile broadband? at least you wont be sharing it with every other apartment if the signal is ok

I have considered it as the speeds are a lot better but the cap is what really would kill me. I moved from a 24Mb uncontended and capless connection with Smart to this. It's very frustrating.

Any details? The management company told me that basically any 3rd party internet is forbidden.
    I have considered it as the speeds are a lot better but the cap is what really would kill me. I moved from a 24Mb uncontended and capless connection with Smart to this. It's very frustrating.

I "think" they're with Smart.I'll double check for you

• Advertisement

I "think" they're with Smart.I'll double check for you

Thanks a lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I was with BT in the strand, you are not limited to their TV or Broadband, you can get Sky or you can get ADSL, you just need to contact the current providers and tell them you wish to do this. Eircom will need access to the panel. Count yourself lucky that you have the management company you do though, you should have been there when it was the auctioneer crowd in town.

They may have changed things since I moved out though. Personally i couldnt stand the place.

Actually,it's Magnet

This is great information guys. When I first asked it was actually the old auctioneers rather than the ISP. Perhaps since the management change and what I would imagine were loads of complaints they changed their policy. Finger's crossed, they are going to call me back to explain if it's possible:D

Advertisement