Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being made redundant in a few weeks

Options
  • 13-03-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,

My company announced redundancies recently. I'll be out of a job in two weeks. I've never been in this position before.

I'd hope to think I can get a new job soon enough but know in the current climate this will be difficult.

Having worked with the company for more than 3 years I am entitled to statutory redundancy which will soften the blow for a few months.

Would anyone know what I am entitled to? I imagine I am entitled to payment of stamps. I rent a room in private accommodation, is there a rent allowance that I'll be entitled to?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

james.xix wrote: »
    Would anyone know what I am entitled to? I imagine I am entitled to payment of stamps. I rent a room in private accommodation, is there a rent allowance that I'll be entitled to?

Thanks for any help.
    May benefit you to ask here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭james.xix

the_syco wrote: »

Thanks, I will! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yes you will be entitled to the basic two weeks per year statutory, not a heck of a lot to be honest for three years, perhaps the company are offering more but you have to be notified in writing in advance of the redundancy date and this will outline what the company is offering.

As regards rent allowance, benefits etc. You should be entitled to job seekers benefit, this is not means tested and is currently €196 a week. You need to sign on immediately to insure continuity of stamps, be advised you could be waiting up to eight weeks for payment, if you are stuck you then need to locate your local CWO who will arrange payment via the HSE while your claim is being processed. Review the www.losingyourjob.ie website, its an excellent resource. Rent allowance can also be applied for through your CWO but you will need evidence of rent being paid and proof of address etc. Please note, you can only apply for rent allowance if you have been in private rented accommodation for 6 months and more.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement