Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs crapping in garden

Options
  • 13-03-2010 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

I have dogs sh***ing on my garden. I have used get off my garden today If it does not work what steps can I legally take besides warden.

I do not want that dirt on my garden and do not want dogs there. Owners should take resposibility, did not come here to clean up their dog sh*t

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Does your garden have a fence around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

if you know who's dogs are doing it have a word with them , if they are not willing to do any thing return the poo

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

If you have no boundary buld a wall to keep them out or if you catch them in the act, shock spray with a water gun or strong water hose.

Dogs should not be free to roam around an estate it can be dangerous.
    If they are roaming report to warden that there are stray dogs and the owner just have to reclaim them and learn to keep them at home in their own garden.
    If they are wearing collars with ID contact owner and tell that you will to dog warden if they doesnt keep them under control.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

Thanks for the feedback
    Does your garden have a fence around it?
    No
    if you know who's dogs are doing it have a word with them , if they are not willing to do any thing return the poo
    Don't know who owns them, have reported to warden
    If you have no boundary buld a wall to keep them out or if you catch them in the act, shock spray with a water gun or strong water hose.

Dogs should not be free to roam around an estate it can be dangerous.
    If they are roaming report to warden that there are stray dogs and the owner just have to reclaim them and learn to keep them at home in their own garden.
    If they are wearing collars with ID contact owner and tell that you will to dog warden if they doesnt keep them under control.
    Best of luck.
    If I caught them in the act they would get more than a spray of water. I would like a wall anyway but it would be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Catch the dog and bring it to the nearest rescue (not pound).......if it is constantly loose then its owners must not want it.

To do anything at all you have to catch the offender in the act....either by watching for it or with a cheapo camera from ebay or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

You can get motion activated sprinklers, but I doubt you wanna spend money because of other peoples' dogs.

I like the idea of returning the poo. :D

Or if you know who owns the dogs, have a word with the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

ppink wrote: »
    Catch the dog and bring it to the nearest rescue (not pound).......if it is constantly loose then its owners must not want it.

To do anything at all you have to catch the offender in the act....either by watching for it or with a cheapo camera from ebay or something

Catching a dog that doesn't know you would be easier said than done, not to mention the fact you don't know how the dog will react.

To be honest with you OP if you live in a town you really do need some sort of boundary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gone With The W

Spraying a citrus or ammonia based product around your boundry could work and also you could buy a CCTV camera in Aldi which will record onto your camera for under €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

What about cheap fencing with gate? Like chicken wire etc.
    I know it wont look very nice but hey its not fair on you to put in extra cost.
    What about the local council?
    If the dog warden wont catch them then try catch thme and deliver to rescue centre.
    Be careful in case they are stray semi feral dog.
    All the reason for the dog warden to be involed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cheapest option (after all you shouldn't have to go through expense because of other peoples dogs) would be small wooden stakes and chicken wire.

Some of your other neighbours might know where the dog(s) live. Or if there are any kids around they usually know who owns what dog they might point you in the right direction.

Spraying them etc. won't work unless you can be out there 24/7 if the dogs are allowed to roam loose at night then they'll pick up on the right time to come over to mark 'their territory'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Did you try the 2 litre plastic water bottles on the grass, half fill them with water and lay them on their side, one should cover about a 5 ft circle depending on the size of the lawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

Thanks but i am not messing my house with chicken/cheap fences/platic water bottles because someone does not take responsibility. Do not know or care who owns them do not want them here. People know their responsibility and if they do not take it seriously I am not paying for it. they have some fcuking cheek to have the dogs mess my garden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

flan59 wrote: »
    Did you try the 2 litre plastic water bottles on the grass, half fill them with water and lay them on their side, one should cover about a 5 ft circle depending on the size of the lawn
    i have same problem, i know the dog owners, do not want to complain as i live in the country and generally we are great neighbours, they leaving their dogs out to roam bothers me, but this thing with the plastic bottles half full of water i would be interested in to help me, what is the reason behind it, why does it work, how does it work please help

iamskippy wrote: »
    Thanks but i am not messing my house with chicken/cheap fences/platic water bottles because someone does not take responsibility. Do not know or care who owns them do not want them here. People know their responsibility and if they do not take it seriously I am not paying for it. they have some fcuking cheek to have the dogs mess my garden

Whether you care who owns them is not the point but you do need to know or else how can you or a dog warden or anyone else sort it out.

I had a big issue with dogs "trespassing" and they did a lot of damage, so I let it be know in the neighbourhood that if it happened again they would not see their dogs again. That was some years ago and have not had one issue since.
    Just as a matter or curiosity, how do know it is dogs?? Only asking as a friend has something pooping right outside their front door but it is somesort of wild animal......not a dog anyway.

I think the fact is we are trying to have housing estates like the American ones, nice neat with no fencing but we are not ready for that in this country as people still leave their dogs out to roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ppink wrote: »
    I had a big issue with dogs "trespassing" and they did a lot of damage, so I let it be know in the neighbourhood that if it happened again they would not see their dogs again. That was some years ago and have not had one issue since.
    Probably because you're now known as the local psycho :)

In reality, you have no authority to seize or do anything to the dogs which could cause injury. For legal purposes, the dogs are property and are subject to the same laws as other property - i.e. you have no right to take or damage it.

Your only option is to call the warden to take the dogs away.

I would say that a note into all the houses is a good idea - but rather than be threatening be light and breezy and say something like,

"I'm sure everyone has noticed the problems we've been having with roaming dogs damaging and fouling gardens and paths. In future I will be capturing any dogs wandering uncontrolled onto my property and surrendering them to the dog warden, and I would ask that all neighbours be equally vigilant so that we can keep our estate clean and safe".

That should get the message across without alienating your neighbours.

Many (if not most) people see absolutely nothing wrong with roaming dogs, provided that they're not attacking people, so telling everyone that you'll make dogs "disappear" will alienate you from neighbours who do and do not own dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

seamus wrote: »
    I would also point out what happens if they are not collected within 5 days and the fees for getting them back also i would include a contact number for the warden/pound

the threat should be enough to make most people keep their dogs in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That's fine if they care about their dog but you may find that they don't bother collecting from the Pound & the dog ends up dead.

If dog wardens did their job properly & stopped acting as collect & kill merchants the situation could improve. The wardens need to find the owner of the dogs & prosecute them. Most of these dogs will not have collar ID tags because the owners don't care or because they don't want any grief coming back to them.

This is how it should be done:

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/1137/dog-warden-of-the-year-recognised-for-innovative-lost-dogs-scheme/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

flan59 wrote: »

That's an old wives tale, in fact my two go over to bottles were people do this and knock them over with their paws to play with.

seamus wrote: »
    Probably because you're now known as the local psycho :)

In reality, you have no authority to seize or do anything to the dogs which could cause injury. For legal purposes, the dogs are property and are subject to the same laws as other property - i.e. you have no right to take or damage it.

Your only option is to call the warden to take the dogs away.

I would say that a note into all the houses is a good idea - but rather than be threatening be light and breezy and say something like,

"I'm sure everyone has noticed the problems we've been having with roaming dogs damaging and fouling gardens and paths. In future I will be capturing any dogs wandering uncontrolled onto my property and surrendering them to the dog warden, and I would ask that all neighbours be equally vigilant so that we can keep our estate clean and safe".

Many (if not most) people see absolutely nothing wrong with roaming dogs, provided that they're not attacking people, so telling everyone that you'll make dogs "disappear" will alienate you from neighbours who do and do not own dogs.

:D Well i probably was a bit psycho at the time as they wrecked a newly laid lawn.
    I would not have hurt them, just made sure they found homes with people who would care for them better. I would treat them as strays, catch them and surrender them to a rescue. the likelihood is they have no ID on them or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

flan 59

please does this work, and why do the dogs shy away from them, i am interested in doing this as i have a mighty problem, do not intend calling on doors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

No the plastic bottles filled with water don't work, my dogs have picked them up before when out walking(on the lead).
    I had a similar problem with dogs using my front garden as a toilet, I own and love dogs but only walk them on the lead and pick up after them. I didn't even ask any neighbour about their dogs crapping in my garden as round here it seems most dogs are just left to roam. I ended up putting up a fence and gate. Made it myself from some pressure treated timber(think it was for decking) i got in a DIY shop. Cost about €85 to do it, dug holes put in posts and screwed lengths across like a post and rail fence but closer together and only about 3ft high. Keeps the dogs out and is pretty sturdy. You could try the stakes and wire mesh of some sort.
    Its really the only way to stop it.

Advertisement