Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found two kittens

Options
  • 13-03-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭

Hey, was up in my scout hall yesterday fixing the place up a bit. We have a store room that isn't used much but were in it last night, found two newborn kittens lying on top of each other and moving around a bit. There are a group of half-wild moggies around the scout hall so I didn't want to touch them in case their mother rejected them. I rang the DSPCA to see what to do and they said that if I brought them up to them that they would be immediately put-down so I decided to leave them and hope their mother came back.

Hoping for a bit of advice on what to do? Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

The DSPCA would put them down? :(

I'd say to leave them but keep aneye on them. See if you see the mother returning, and check on them later on and see if their bellies feel full or if they seem hungry (they might be crying alot if they are). If she doesn't return someone would have to handrear them, they can't go too long without their mother.

Maybe someone here would from Dublin would know if there's anywhere to take them? They'd be better off being tamed anyway, instead of being left to go wild too. I wish I was in Dublin and I'd take them. I hope they'll be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

morganafay wrote: »
    The DSPCA would put them down? :(

Yeah I thought that was wierd too. Especially since I was up at one of their centers the day before yesterday and it seemed like they had plenty of space for a few kittens...

Cheers for the rest of the advice, I'm gonna keep an eye on them. Can't take them myself, still living with the parents (just too damn expensive for this college student to move out) and they don't like animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

See if you brought those 2 newborn kittens to the DSPCA without their mother, they would need a huge amount of care. Handrearing is very time consuming. They'd need to be bottle-fed every 3 hours for a start. The DPSCA may not have the time unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Aw, I'm worried about these babies. Wish I lived in Dublin! I'd say the best bet is that the mother will come back though.

Advertisement