Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on on shop street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

RubyBlu wrote: »
    Fair play to everyone but to be honest, flashmobs are a bit outdated. Unless it's something really different. There's nothing surprising about them anymore. They seem to be most effective when there is a huge crowd and the chorography is tighter. Was it just me, or did anyone else not exactly get goosebumps watching this.

I wouldn't bother organising one for the Volvo.

well la di da

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

de idle doo.....
    Are we singing? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The idea could be thrown out there for those professionals. No harm in the suggestion and I think it could work anyway...

de idle doo.....
    Are we singing? :D

I don't know, is that trendy enough for your highness?

Xiney wrote: »
    I don't know, is that trendy enough for your highness?

Jeeez, sorry if I offended you. :eek: I guess you were involved based on your post. Apologies, if your feelings are hurt. As I said fair play to you for making the effort. However, it would be nice to have something different. Galway is big enough to do something on their own and make it special. Lets not follow the pack but stand out on our own. That's what secured us the finish. Whatever you mean about 'trendy'. You sound very old fashioned saying that. Forget 'trendy' what about 'Cutting Edge'??? There, now you have me down.

Again to reiterate, the whole dancing flash mob concept is tired, it's an old formula. That's no reflection on you personally or anyone else who took place.

As for 'your highness', I'm not like that at all. I'm just someone who says it like it is. By the way 'your highness' sounds pretty childish, don't you think.

Some food for thought for the creative reading this in time for the Volvo. Now I will really be disappointed if something excellent doesn't happen.

• Advertisement

I wasn't involved - I just think you're being arrogant.

Well, I don't mean to be arrogant. That's not who I am, but I understand if you feel that I come accross as that. I won't dispute that. Apologies again. Friends? :)

Truce :P

Anyhoo, I'm sure you are first in a long line after that post. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

To have anything good for Volvo, you'd have to go down the road of professional dancers/artists and something really cutting edge and original.

This from the poster who wants to set up a Tubridy Appreciation Group on boards.......... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055858595
    Something really cutting edge and original, would ya ever give it a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

To have anything good for Volvo, you'd have to go down the road of professional dancers/artists and something really cutting edge and original. Wouldn't that be better than trotting this old dead horse out again.

Sorry to sound mean, not my intention. It would just be embarrassing to do this at such a big event.

Actually I would disagree on an artistic level. The pure organic 'not quite broadway musical' gave the flash mob an edge that would not have been achieved by a fully professional dance troupe. Neither could the way they used the space. Many people felt they were a part of things, not watching things outside like telly.
    There was joy there, there was raw nerves. Frankly I am jaded at seeing *slick* over-polished presentations at events that have no soul. You are entitled to your opinion of course, and originality is often a good thing. I would argue that each flashmob IS original, just by virtue of its performers. I know for a fact, that as well as ordinary fun people off the street, there were really vibrant performers who took part in the Galway one, and they LOVED it!

Flashmobs don't have to be dance, they can be song, art, silent etc.
    I think it would be deadly to do one for Volvo, and we should keep the discussion open! My 2c:D

I agree with you Inishboffin. There is more to it than dance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The fun thing about the flashmobs is that people on shop street didn't expect one..regardless of whether it's an 'old concept' or not, (and the amount of people I have spoken to who either have never heard of the term or else think it 'began' with the Black eyed peas/Oprah one). It's also fun because it is for any ordinary Joe or Josephine soap..no fancy choerography, no costumes, no glitz and glamour.. (I would consider that a proper routine) just people going about their business suddenly bursting into dance. It gets people who wouldn't dream of trying to dance professionally or whatever out there to have a laugh. I don't think the intention was to give anyone goosebumps..just to surprise people and have fun doing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've watched all the videos and don't really see what all the fuss is about BUT those involved had a good time, a bit of a dance and craic etc so that's cool for you. Maybe some of you should relax though when it comes to people not sharing your views on your event. Calling people 'your highness' just because they shared their opinion (opposite of your own) etc is a bit duh tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

One organised for the volvo would be a great idea!!!:D

It's only a bit of fun and there is no need to get all "pro" about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

To have anything good for Volvo, you'd have to go down the road of professional dancers/artists and something really cutting edge and original. Wouldn't that be better than trotting this old dead horse out again.

Sorry to sound mean, not my intention. It would just be embarrassing to do this at such a big event.

I think the idea is for it to be a bit of a laugh for the common person on the street to get involved in and have a bit of fun doing!!!, not a big professional event.
    The whole appeal of these flashmobs for me anyway, is that it is unprofessional and unexpected!!
    My 2 pennies, or 2c's or cents or whatever the hell:D

As for being embarrased by being seen doing it, aw feck it, I've been seen doing worse:P

Yea. You're right. It is nice to have a flashmob. Apart from dancing though, what would you do??? Something like Drums at different locations...to start it??? Love that idea.

Anyhoo, plenty of time to brainstorm. I can't wait to see what comes out of it.

Galway will have the attention, why not do something spectacular whether it's the general public performing or pros. It should be 'different' and 'loud' 'big' 'creative'.

Again, in relation to the dance flash mob, it was fine for Galway 'internal' stuff, maybe something more elaborate for 'international' stuff. Galway has it her to do one better.

I always loved the energy of the drums though. Also, in my opinion, once 'Oprah' does something, it's time to move on...:rolleyes:

Just this humble persons opinion, what would I know and apologies again to everyone in advance who is upset with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Fair play to everyone but to be honest, flashmobs are a bit outdated. Unless it's something really different. There's nothing surprising about them anymore. They seem to be most effective when there is a huge crowd and the chorography is tighter. Was it just me, or did anyone else not exactly get goosebumps watching this.

I wouldn't bother organising one for the Volvo.

Yeah, I agree, nothing surprising about them at all - I always expect a random group of people to break into dance anytime I walk down the street. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I agree, nothing surprising about them at all - I always expect a random group of people to break into dance anytime I walk down the street. :rolleyes:

Bet ya that if they did break into dance, you'd say to yourself 'cool, a flashmob'. No surprise then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Just this humble persons opinion, what would I know and apologies again to everyone in advance who is upset with me.

I don't think you have anything to apologize to be honest, you've only expressed your opinion and as far as I know there's no rule against that. Perhaps some egos have just been slightly bruised because you are not in awe of them.;)

• Advertisement

You're so sweet.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Again, in relation to the dance flash mob, it was fine for Galway 'internal' stuff, maybe something more elaborate for 'international' stuff. Galway has it her to do one better.
    The whole point of a flash mob is its an "impromptu" public gathering to do something zany, highlighting the funloving spirit of the people. If you slap the glossy bord failte sticker on it and hire the latest Brazilian elbow dancers all you're showing is that you can spend as much as any other city, yawn.

Hi Abrhain.
    Yea. Thanks for explaining what flashmob is. I totally understand. However, I'm not saying that dance flashmobs aren't or weren't once impromptu. The point is, it's a tired formula now.

In relation to the Brazilian dancers, I wouldn't agree with that, I wouldn't mind who would do it, so long as its exciting and 'impromptu' . I thinks a linedancing one is no longer exciting which goes against what the whole concept of 'flashmob' is about. If you insist on having another dancing 'flashmob', then the only way it would work as is't no longer original would be to have excellent dancers and fantastic chorography. Otherewise, just the same young ones lifting their arms to some track at the same time. Great fun for them, but not exactly exciting for the general public watching them.

Check out youtube - it's been done. No longer exites me.

I'm actually tired being shot down about this. Based on the responses to my post, maybe I'm wrong about it. As all think it is something really original, in that case great for you all. Then you should do one as you will all find it really fresh and new. But, please not for the Volvo. Do it on shop street on some Saturday. Best of luck with it. :D

Honestly Amrain, did you honestly find the recent flashmob 'zany'??? Be honest now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

meh, flashmobs are so 2001, i do hope galway moves on and maybe do something original for a change, the whole flash mob thing has been done enough now, don't tear the arse out of it

RubyBlu, I honestly respect that you have a different opinion about flashmobs, and you've made a few valid points. But I have to say that it rubs me the wrong way a bit that you infer that it's ok once we keep it for the 'locals'. People can do a flashmob whenever they want, including at Volvo! The general 'man on the street' does not necessarily know what a flashmob is, and I think you are overestimating how
    many international 'men on the street' would be able to go "oh it's just a flashmob"!
    Surely the event is about those physically present, and any film footage etc is
    secondary? A stage show, done by the best of pros, for example, NEVER packs the same wallop when filmed. Its execution was intended for a live experience.
    People can do flashmobs whenever they want, IMO, it's not usually an official event, just a fun happening. And just because something has been done before *in some form* doesn't mean it is for the scrapheap! Otherwise half the theatre would disappear and we'd have no films to
    watch on Sunday nights on telly! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think it had a real feel good factor about it and brightened up an otherwise dull Saturday. I'd say it's exactly the kind of thing people who were visiting Galway from abroad would enjoy and remember. It's charm came from the fact that it was obviously ordinary people exuding a little "joie de vivre"!.Galway isn't New York or London. We will never have that "sparkly, professional dance troupes in the street" kind of vibe and no one comes here looking for that level of sophistication. What people do visit here for and come back for is the laid back atmosphere and the easy going charm. The flash mob encapsulated that quite well. It made people smile for a few minutes and then let them move along with their day.
    If you'd be embarrassed by it then living here must be a nightmare for you.

I appreciate your point Inishboffin, but to be honest wouldn't you go mad if someone put the same film on everytime, with the same story just different actors. What about a different film altogether??? :)

chilly wrote: »
    I think it had a real feel good factor about it and brightened up an otherwise dull Saturday. I'd say it's exactly the kind of thing people who were visiting Galway from abroad would enjoy and remember. It's charm came from the fact that it was obviously ordinary people exuding a little "joie de vivre"!.Galway isn't New York or London. We will never have that "sparkly, professional dance troupes in the street" kind of vibe and no one comes here looking for that level of sophistication. What people do visit here for and come back for is the laid back atmosphere and the easy going charm. The flash mob encapsulated that quite well. It made people smile for a few minutes and then let them move along with their day.
    If you'd be embarrassed by it then living here must be a nightmare for you.

Fair play Chilly. I take your point. Nicely stated.

• Advertisement

I appreciate your point Inishboffin, but to be honest wouldn't you go mad if someone put the same film on everytime, with the same story just different actors. What about a different film altogether??? :)

Emm..RubyBlu, you know that IS what happens everytime you go see a stage production of;

Hamlet, The Beauty Queen of Leenane, Sive, Bailegangaire, Trainspotting, The Matchmaker, Hedda Gabler, The Three Sisters, The Cherry Orchard, Stags and Hens, Romeo and Juliette, A Streetcar named Desire, The Iceman Cometh...etc etc etc, don't you??!

My point is a flashmob is also a live experience, it is NOT a film, and having it filmed has nothing really to do with the event, except to document, or base a separate project on it. Also people don't do flashmobs every week, or even month in the same place, they maybe happen once a year - I think people can handle that!! You seem a bit bogged down with the notion of every idea being brand new. It is likely that *most* stuff has been done before, in some form or another.

All this aside, I *do* take from your point, the notion about repetition though, and I don't suspect that another flashmob would use the same song or same choreography! I am all for other types of flashmob, apart from dance too...flashmob art, song, music, theatre etc.. (although all of these have been done before too ;P)

They brighten up a day, and bring a little bit of magic, even if *some* people watching have seen *something like it* (maybe) before...and that can only be a good thing, right?

Advertisement