Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Carpenters here?

Options
  • 13-03-2010 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Just have a quick question.

The mother got a job done and wanted a carpenter or 2 on here to tell me a ballpark figure as to how much it should have cost. I think she may have been overcharged a bit. Obviously nothing can be done about it now but just curious anyway.

Semi-solid floors put in 2 medium sized sitting rooms - 40 sq. yards
    Laminate put in 4 medium-sized bedrooms 48m
    8 interior doors fitted and locks and handles as well
    Locks fitted on 4 existing doors
    Skirting 80m
    Architrave 65m
    Worktops in kitchen.

As I said, ballpark figure for the fitting and supplying of the above. Like, should it have been 2000, or 10,000?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

ok...where do i start

40 sq. yards of 6" oak semi-solid +underlay+fitting =1800 euro
    48 sq meters of laminate flooring+underlay+fitting = 1200 euro

8 white 6-panel+furniture = 880euro

= 170 euro

Skirting 80m =
    390 euro

Architrave 65m
    =360 euro

Worktops in kitchen.
    includes re fitting sink and hob = 320 euro

Total................................................................... 5120 euro

All prices are worked off 180 euro for a days work or 900 a week and before anyone starts giving out ... that has to cover holiday pay,insurance,accountants,desiel,tools,van tax and maintenance..ect
    Also material prices are worked of average prices...not the cheapest

Hope she didn't pay to much more....dearer flooring might push the price up a bit but the rest is pretty standard...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

del88 wrote: »
    ok...where do i start

40 sq. yards of 6" oak semi-solid +underlay+fitting =1800 euro
    48 sq meters of laminate flooring+underlay+fitting = 1200 euro

8 white 6-panel+furniture = 880euro

= 170 euro

Skirting 80m =
    390 euro

Architrave 65m
    =360 euro

Worktops in kitchen.
    includes re fitting sink and hob = 320 euro

Total................................................................... 5120 euro

All prices are worked off 180 euro for a days work or 900 a week and before anyone starts giving out ... that has to cover holiday pay,insurance,accountants,desiel,tools,van tax and maintenance..ect
    Also material prices are worked of average prices...not the cheapest

Hope she didn't pay to much more....dearer flooring might push the price up a bit but the rest is pretty standard...

Are these prices labour only:confused::confused:

And you are charging 45E to fit a lock. Nice profit there. 6 panel regency door fit 110 e

What about reduced rates for the recession;);)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I hope that is not just labour prices!

These are reduced prices.....all prices include labour and materials..
    (don't ask what i would have charged 2 years ago)

These are reduced prices.....all prices include labour and materials..
    (don't ask what i would have charged 2 years ago)

jaysus...............sure I couldn,t stand the shock:D:D

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Jaysus I couldn't either! Are you getting much work del88?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

The proplem with priceing jobs how is people expect it done for nothing , when they ask can you do any better than that i just say if you wanted done for free you should of just asked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Sounds reasonable its a bit of work there

Jaysus I couldn't either! Are you getting much work del88?
    Well the way things are now,i'm pricing jobs to get them....i rekon on some jobs it's minimum wage to be honest....this time last year i had regular work from 5 sources..2 shopfitting companies,an office furniture company,a large kitchen fitting company and our own repeat domestic work........now 1 went bang owing us a fair chunk of cash (5 figures) and rest are hanging on by their finger tips,really ownly the domestic end of things that have kept us going.
    I had a guy last week try reduce the price of a kitchen by 300euro havin allready reduced the price by a fair bit...there comes a point where it just not worth it.......but hey that's the free market for ye

I think people are more discerning now, considering the downturn in the construction industry. And I would expect that there is a larger number of contractors looking to price for a smaller number of jobs, so the customer should be benefitting from a reduction in what they expect to pay.

It would be interesting to know the type of amount that the original party had to pay for the work done.

kadman

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    I think people are more discerning now, considering the downturn in the construction industry. And I would expect that there is a larger number of contractors looking to price for a smaller number of jobs, so the customer should be benefitting from a reduction in what they expect to pay.

kadman
    i agree....it's a buyers market.....only problem is i'm competing with guys on the dole happy to earn 60euro a day doing the same work as a nixer with none of the expenses ....(jesus i'm starting to sound like a taxi man)

i agree....it's a buyers market.....only problem is i'm competing with guys on the dole happy to earn 60euro a day doing the same work as a nixer with none of the expenses ....(jesus i'm starting to sound like a taxi man)

Well if you had put supply and fit in your first post, :D your prices dont sound too bad:D:D

I know where you are coming from on the " legit versus the dole" angle.......but the sad thing is ,some have been forced to do that just to survive. Its a fact that normal working class joes, have been forced to pay the price now.......and it wil be years before that changes.

kadman

kadman wrote: »
    Well if you had put supply and fit in your first post, :D your prices dont sound too bad:D:D

I know where you are coming from on the " legit versus the dole" angle.......but the sad thing is ,some have been forced to do that just to survive. Its a fact that normal working class joes, have been forced to pay the price now.......and it wil be years before that changes.

kadman

Listen i don't blame the guys doing it....i have friends doing it just to feed the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Jesus, reading this thread it seems I really need to up my prices, I'm been taken for a mug! :eek:

Jesus, reading this thread it seems I really need to up my prices, I'm been taken for a mug! :eek:

What price would you give if you were to quote for the job???

Advertisement