Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your first computer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

IBM PS/2, 286 with a whopping 1Mb of RAM and a massive 40 Mb hard disk...
    Cost me a small fortune too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Amiga 500+ for me, the Zool edition. I loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Wang PC (or I think it was called office assistant - my uncle rigged it to have full cpu). Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest and King's Quest were the games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

BTW a 128K modem was £250
    Where can I get one of those? :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Vic 20?
    I think that's the first one I had. I've vague memories of a Sharp machine, but I'm not sure if I had that after the Vic 20.

It's funny thinking back to my old machines. I remember having a PC years ago and buying the game Ultima 7. It needed 7 megabytes to install and this was an insane amount. My hard disk at the time only had 14 mb! Crazy how things have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

C64

640K ought to be enough for anybody.
    Bill Gates

Lol

commador 64

remember all the boxes when you opened it

****ing tapes ha ha

but was there a commador 128??

Think it was a C28k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nevore wrote: »
    For anyone who had an Amiga.

Don't think I saw R-Type in there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

OutlawPete wrote: »

Haha IK+ was awesome specially the bonus rounds :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My first computer was a Commodore 64 back in the late eighties. The games were on cassette tapes and they took about 15 minutes to load. The manual that came with the computer also had games you could program yourself. I tried it once and it took me about six hours to type the program, then it didn't even work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

My first computer was a Commodore 64 back in the late eighties. The games were on cassette tapes and they took about 15 minutes to load. The manual that came with the computer also had games you could program yourself. I tried it once and it took me about six hours to type the program, then it didn't even work.

I remember the books that came with awesome drawing depicting invading aliens being held back by futuristic soldiers with lasers along with the program to create it.

Hours later after poke this and print that and endless numbers what you got was the letter O falling from the top of the screen to the bottom and your futuristic soldier was the letter H firing 1's up the screen.

God I can't understand why I couldn't stop trying out each program hoping the next would be better :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Vic 20 followed by Commodore 64 and International football on cartridge. Spent Christmas day playing it in early 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

My older brother had a sinclair spectrum; have fond, foggy, memories of trying to master Manic Miner as a very young lad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Amalgam wrote: »
    An Oric 48K. I wanted a Spectrum, took years of therapy to get over that..

Flash b@stard with your 48k :p

Had an Oric 1 - which was the same but had 16Kb of RAM.
    ( I think my kettle has more computing power)

Like you I yearned for a Spectrum :(

I think the Spectrum outsold the Oric in Ireland by about a thousand to one.

Loading games from tape used to take somewhere in the region of 3 to 5 hours and would collapse if a butterfly farted in Yemen (may be a slight exageration).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

First games console was an Atari 2600, I remember that the advertisment informed me that it was under 50 bucks, under 50 bucks.

First one with a keyboard was a C64 - I remember figuring out how to write a programme that displayed the Irish flag and being very proud.

First proper PC was an ATI with 4Mb of RAM. Figuring out how to get Lucasarts games running was what taught me how to feck around with PCs. Thats when you really had to earn the right to launch a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

ZX Spectrum 48K, favourite game: Atic Atac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I got my first PC at home in 1993, but my first actual computer was a VIC 20 in 1983. 3583 bytes of programming goodness :) Tape deck for the win! Ahh the memories, poking values into memory registers to change the screen colour, play a sound, draw a pixel etc. Favourite game was Donkey Kong (came on a cartridge).

That was followed by an Atari 600XL in 1986, a whole 16K with that. My favourite game on that was Zaxxon, an isometric shoot-em up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

im only a babby, twas a Win95 pentium II compaq presario with a 500 MB hdd.

I was about 5 at the time. Born computer nerd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Amstrad CPC464 for £50 second hand back in the early 90's. Technician Ted was my favourite game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Biggins wrote: »
    Sinclair ZX81

Same here Biggins :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Same here, can't for the life of me remember what the fuck I was doing all those hours when not playing games on it.

I remmeber a book came with hours with programmes in it that when you typed them into the computer (took hours) stupid things would happen, like a baloon floating.

The slightest mistake typing in the code meant starting all over again also.

Anyone old enough will remember the classic War Games which made us all think we could hack into banks and the CIA's computer system and cause WWIII.

Then Ferris Bueller made us believe we could change our exam grades .. damn liars, the whole lot if 'em :mad:

Ferris was up to those tricks before he even was Ferris:

And even went on to greater things:

Matthew Broderick movies role in the popularisation of home computers is something that warrants serious study; i'd say it was pretty huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

VIC-20

It came with a book(nonetheless) at the back of the book was computer code,We had to type 3 pages of code just to get the vic to make a "BLEEP" sound.

Tried it once,didnt like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Some POS Siemens, Windows 98 SECOND EDITION [wih woo]
    Dno if it was even Pentium II

Funny tho I hadnt used it in years but still kept it, then hooked it up with broadband one time when my current PC at the time was i for repair

Old's Kool!

• Advertisement

"Acer 911" 286...upgraded it to DOS 6...good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

A Sinclair ZX81 my old man and older brother put together from kit. 1 whole K :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Teutorix wrote: »
    im only a babby, twas a Win95 pentium II compaq presario with a 500 MB hdd.

I was about 5 at the time. Born computer nerd :D

That's actually fairly recent by this threads standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

GateWay - 350

Specs will amaze you.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

A Paradigm....if my memory serves me right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Commodore 64 mind-bender pack. Console, tape deck, 2 joysticks, 16 games. It was good but not in the same league as the 16 bit Super Nintendo i got 2 years later. The legendary SNES street fighter II pack.

Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

An IBM/PS1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PS/1

Not sure which version but it was manufactured from 1990 - 1994
    CPU from 10 - 25 MHz Ram from 1 - 6 MB

http://lh3.google.com/_erNkBgvoU3k/RdiRSnH5WMI/AAAAAAAAC3c/QAUkF47zufQ/s800/IBM+PS-1+1990.jpg

Spent most of the time playing Prince of Persia & Duke Nukem LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Olivetti PCS 286

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

C64 in the mid Eighties, I remember being relly really proud of meself when I learned Shorthand basic, like using '?' instead of 'PRINT' and so on, but the brothers just preferred to play International Soccer and Flimbo's Quest.

then In the 90's I built my own P1 with a 75MHz Processor and 8MB of Ram, I had to Double the RAM to Play GTA and I was absolutley addicted to Duke Nukem. Probaby why I wasted all those years at College learnin about Puters n stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

kraggy wrote: »
    Amstrad CPC 464. Green screen. 1984 I think.

Used type basic code to draw triangles and pyramids on the screen.

Games were on cassetted tapes and took anywhere between 5 and 20 mins to load.

Favourite game was "Monty on the Run".

Best computer EVER!..

Had the Amstrad 464+ ourselves.. with the same 'exclusive' green screen hahaha... Had cassette and cartridge loaders.
    Had burnout on cartridge but they cost an arm and a leg so it was tapes all the way which as you said could take forever to load...
    The loading 'groan' changed if the load wasnt going well and you knew when it wouldnt work.. so rewind the tape a little and go again sometimes worked??!!!

Those were the days... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

ZX81 - 1kb memory!

I remember the memory expansion pack and thermal printer - what a piece of kit...

Then I moved on (?) to Commodore Amiga I wanted a C64/Acorn Electron/BBC Micro but santa wouldn't stretch to that :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

It seems quite a few people had the Sharp MZ700. But spare a thought for those of us who had the MZ700 without the built in tape drive! Had to use an external tape drive instead, and mess around with the volume controls. 50% of the time you'd get to the end of the tape while loading a game and it wouldn't have worked.

Remember searching to find the line of code in Basic in some games so that you could change it to have 99 lives instead of 3? :)

After the Sharp we moved to a 8086, running at 4 MHz. I can still remember the pure joy when I discovered that if I pressed Ctrl-T after booting into DOS, it would go into Turbo Mode and go to 8 MHz! Playing Euro '88 on it was so much faster! :)

J.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Gateway 2000 or something along those lines, 1Gb memory. My god it was sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

First computer was a Vic20 but I did have a pong console with dials as controllers before that. Went from that to an Amstrad cpc464 and ended up coding Basic after a few months of playing all the cassette games.

Ahh fun times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Amstrad 128 CPC. Pretty advanced in its day. It had two colours Green or darker Green!

Ah yes playing Bruce Lee for hours eventually all of your vision would turn a shade of green!

I still have it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Oric 48K.

Didn't know anyone else with one so I couldn't swap games. :(

Only had the games that originally came with it.

Ended up in the UK one summer and found a computer shop. They had shelf upon shelf of cassettes for the commodore 64, asked "have you any games for the Oric 48K", was directed to a BOOK on a shelf at the back of the shop. Spent the rest of the summer debugging BASIC "Error at line 5, etc."

Still great times. :)

I must get it out of the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

The first one I used and learn to program on was an Apple II back in '79, I also fiddled around with the ZX81. I've owned lot's since then.

But my favourite computer that I owned was a minicomputer the legendary DEC PDP 11/42. It was the size of a washing machine, and came with a tape drive the size of a kichen sink. I never got it to start up though becuase it required three phase power :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

thebiglad wrote: »
    ZX81 - 1kb memory!

I remember the memory expansion pack and thermal printer - what a piece of kit...

It gave you a whopping 16K IIRC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Radio Shack TRS-80 running level 3 basic. Had it in 1984.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80

Want to play a game? Go type, bitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

ZX Spectrum 48k ... then on to Commadore Amiga 500 ... and then a PC (386) :)

Good times with the Spectrum ... playing "Jimmy Whites Whirlwind Snooker" on a black & white portable telly. I know how Peter Ebdon feels!
    Daly Thompsons Decathalon Day 1 & 2 ... Z,X and Spacebar almost worn out from the hurdles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The first computer I ever had was a Commodore 64 in the mid to late-80's. The entire thing was this over-sized keyboard which you attached a tape player to. I found it in my da's office in the house and asked him could we set it up. He said sure, but I'd have to do the setting up, since I wanted to learn how to use it. So, being about 6 or 7 years of age, I began to set the computer space up while my da supervised. I was struggling to bring the computer in, since it was nearly as big as me, and with the weight, it slipped out of my hands, onto my foot, breaking my big toe, and the F1 key on the computer. My da goes 'well, that's your computer gone.' And it took him another 3 years to get the thing repaired and finally set up. Still, loved that computer and all the games on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

While a lot of people I knew had dragons and atari's etc, I didn't get one till I left college, and needed them for bits of work, and courses. 486dx33 and very soon after a Apple LCII. Ironically no one I knew who had a computer as a kid ended up working in IT whereas I did. I don't think I'd have had the patience for all those old commuters, loadng tapes etc. I think these days a commputer is part of the furniture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

commodore 64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 triCrescent

Dell XPS 420...it came with an OS called "Vista" that could eat up all your resources on startup...what a load of ****e it was.

Now I am using my A500...happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭dasdog

People talk about the 80's recession and look at the amount of people who owned home computers which were expensive at the time. Lots of ma and da's with good intentions for their kids.

A second hand 16K ZX Spectrum for me and my older brother. Got a 32K RAM expansion pack for Christmas one year and Underwurlde (Ultimate software) which was amazing. I was weaned onto software piracy at a young age using every trick possible to copy games but I learned some BASIC too.

Advertisement