Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your first computer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

A giant brick Compaq computer

Windows 98. thought it was brilliant at

the time! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sflemings

Commodore 64 here too. What a machine! Can't remember what year. Definately in the mid to late 80's.

I had the Ghostbusters game and if you died in the game I think it told you to rewind the tape and press any key to start again but if you just pressed the key without rewinding the tape you would start the next level with full lives. Now what's a class piece of programming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

sflemings wrote: »
    Commodore 64 here too. What a machine! Can't remember what year. Definately in the mid to late 80's.

I had the Ghostbusters game and if you died in the game I think it told you to rewind the tape and press any key to start again but if you just pressed the key without rewinding the tape you would start the next level with full lives. Now what's a class piece of programming!
    You ever play Predator? 2 hours to load, you had three lives, could barely survive the first enemy and then had to reload once your lives were gone. Played it once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Spectrum 48K for me, circa. 1982, rubber keys and all. Tough little bugger, I remember my 3 year old neighbour dancing a jig on top of it at one stage and not even a scratch to be seen.

Typing in about 500 lines of program text to play games from 'Crash' magazine, multiple thumb blisters from prolonged 'Commando' sessions combined with cheap joysticks, trying to input the code using that stupid lens-yoke in order to play 'Elite', those were the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

surprised nobody posted this yet. classic trip down memory lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Lemegeton wrote: »
    surprised nobody posted this yet. classic trip down memory lane

Yeah, that brought back some memories alright :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

C64 here as well, mid-80ies.

We had a 'datasette' (that thing that looked like a tape recorder), and endless floppy disks for games.

Oh, the good old days (downloaded some of the old C64 games there recently (World Games, Wonderboy, Boulderdash) for the Wii - but it's just not the same any more :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Atari 520ST... class machine

Had my nose rubbed in about the lowly ST after my mate got an Amiga but shortly afterward I managed to score a pirate game 'dealer' (used to sweat buckets picking up the latest and greatest) and suddenly the Amigadood was fawning over my MASSIVE game collection.

Ahhh..... the memories

edit.... just went on a trip down 'Dungeon Master' memory lane.... now that was a great game!!!.... Even managed to master it WITHOUT a manual (must have done thousands of different combination's to 'learn' the spells!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

my old man bought a texas instruments ti994a for me for christmas 1981
    i always remember it looking like something out of star trek..and the games were amazing.I remember having a game called valhalla i think it was called..little stick men on the screen running around dressed as vikings..ahh the memories.
    http://oldcomputers.net/pics/ti-994a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭dixierip

Ah the old Commodore 64. Brings back memories. Favourite game was one called wonder boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Amstrad CPC 464 with a green screen monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

like a lot of people in here, the first computer i convinced my father to invest in for his business so i could do the books on it for him was a WANG "IBM Compatible" PC as they were called at the time back in 1992, (386, 16MHz, 2MB RAM, 40MB hard drive, Win3.1 came on six floppy disks).

The computers in school were Amstrad 6128's, then i got to college and the computers were Dell 486's, with INTERNET ACCESS! :eek:

from there my first pc i bought myself was in 1998, Pentium III 450MHz, 64MB RAM, 10GB hard drive, numerous self builds since, first laptop was a P4 Toshiba.

i can just picture my 5yr old son in 20yrs time-

"my first computer was an Advent 4211c netbook!", followed by readers sniggers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

acorn electron... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

BBC micro, I used to look on at envy at friends with a Commodore64. It wasn't until the 486 pc that I felt I had a gamin PC though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I feel old

first pc
    apple IIc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIc

first lappy
    Zenith MasterSport 386SX http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/2234/Zenith-MasterSport-386SX/

The Masterport 386SX has a list price of $3,999, which includes a 60-megabyte hard disk drive, two megabytes of system memory and a bright VGA-level display.

madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

zxspectrum_48k.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Commodore C64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

dixierip wrote: »
    Favourite game was one called wonder boy.

I still play it to this day. Granted it is with a MAME emulator but it is a great great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

A Dell PC back in 2000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Spectrum 48k with my confirmation money. Remember the soft keys and using Shift-a(I think) for the load command to start the tapes going. 10-15 mins load time to play a game of text golf. :eek:

Them were the days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I feel old

first pc
    apple IIc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIc
    God, I remember walking into my friend's house back in about 1985 or '86 and seeing him playing Centipede and Choplifter on that computer. It was the first time I'd seen anyone play a video game and it absolutely blew my mind. Been a gamer ever since that day. Would love to see the effect modern games would have had on me back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sflemings

First proper PC i got was a Gateway. A magazine said "if this pc was an F1 car, I'd be Michael Schumacher." so I got it!
    It was amazing really. 800mb hard disk space, 128mb of ram, and even it's own seperate graphics and not to forgot a fax modem built in.
    Mind you (on a side note) after a year or two I had a problem with the sound and Gateway's tech support decided to tell me to reinstall windows! Not being any bit knowledgable on computers at the time I did so, only for windows to crash anytime I pressed the Caps Lock key after the reinstall!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My first computer was a Dell Dimension 3100, or whatever their computers were called. It was a 3100 anyway. Got it like 4-5 years ago.

It was ****e to put it lightly. There was only 1 intake fan which was blocked by the case design and there wasn't even an AGP slot. I got fed up with it and built my own PC last year and never looked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

A Sharp MZ-80K in the mid-80's.....and it was outdated even then when we got it 2nd hand!

It was a mad clompy thing that took an age to load the BASIC on the built-in cassette deck every time you turned it on. It boasted a staggering 4kb of ROM and 20kb of RAM! :eek:

I think it might have been single-handedly responsible for my lifelong apathy towards all things computer-like ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

sflemings wrote: »
    First proper PC i got was a Gateway. A magazine said "if this pc was an F1 car, I'd be Michael Schumacher." so I got it!
    It was amazing really. 800mb hard disk space, 128mb of ram, and even it's own seperate graphics and not to forgot a fax modem built in.
    Mind you (on a side note) after a year or two I had a problem with the sound and Gateway's tech support decided to tell me to reinstall windows! Not being any bit knowledgable on computers at the time I did so, only for windows to crash anytime I pressed the Caps Lock key after the reinstall!
    I remember the old gateways, I threw one out the other day. Dell wiped them out and then went to shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

In the family

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:6128plus_es.jpg

Could do feck all with it as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

commador 64

remember all the boxes when you opened it

****ing tapes ha ha

but was there a commador 128??

Yep. There was a Commodore 128. It ran C64 games just fine, but had very little in the way of it's own native software. I never knew anyone who had one. Most people, myself included, would have upgraded from the C64 to the Amiga 500.

But my first machine was the Commodore Vic-20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Olivetti 286 was my first proper machine ,even managed to run a bbs off it for a while:)

That was my first one too. Ah snake, good times ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

The first computer I learned to use for any practical purpose was a 286 - I forget what make it was - with an Epson dot-matrix printer. That was in 1993 and the machine dated from 1987 with programs dating as far back as 1981!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Vic 20 (Commodore)

It was an 8K computer that we uses to program in BASIC.

We later upgraded to the Commodore 64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Atari 2600. Christ I loved that thing. Still have it "somewhere"... Second was a SNES and Third a Gateway 2000 PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Comadore 64 too, you think listening to the only guy who sold computers in 1988 in Waterford that he didn't make a cent but all my friends had woefully inadiquate pre windows computers.

Also got a amstrad 464 and a sinclair later. Still have them all.

I set up the amstrad one evening for my 9 yr old nephew, loaded treasure island and after 9 1/2 mins I had to take a photo of the total look of disgust on his face, when i told him another 30 seconds for the game to load!!

Remember spending 4 hrs one Sunday writing code for a stupid game from a magazine just for my mum to plug out the comp to do the hoovering, lost the whole lot, she though she had blown the thing up the way I reacted....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Spectrum ZS was the first one and then after that it was some crappy pc running MS DOS before windows 3.1.
    cd\games\princeofpersia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

'Twas a Pentium 166 MHz with teh MMX™ technology. 16MB RAM and a big 14 inch CRT to watch grainy jpeg pron on. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I had an Amstrad CPC464. It was a glorious beast, with a green and black monitor and games like Harrier Attack and Match Day II. You only had to wait 10-30 minutes for them to load as well.

Amazingly I get more angry now when my computer freezes for 10 seconds than when I'd wait 30 minutes for a game to not work. At least then you knew it'd work eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The first one I remember was a Gateway 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Commador Amiga 500.

It was a quality piece of kit for it's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

Amstrad pcw I think it was called. amazing at the time. and the noise of the dot matrix printer. Good riddance to the lot of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Mine was an NES. You had to blow it to get it to actually do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

McChubbin wrote: »
    Mine was an NES. You had to blow it to get it to actually do anything.

Easy tiger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Gateway 2000 I believe, running Windows 95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

My abacus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

something by dell which my dada bought as soon as Windows 95 came out . . .it was very advanced for its time, had CD and floppy drives!!! it was actually very good at the time, had loads of memory . . .but the next one wasn't bought in our house until 2004!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Well my first game console was an NES that I got sometime in 1994 when I was only about a year old. Still play on that thing from time to time.

First computer I ever got was an old packard bell back around 2000. I remember my parents choosing to wait until after the millenium just in case the Y2K bug actually occured.
    It had a 1GHz AMD Thunderbird (It's as kickass as it sounds :p), 128MB ram, a geforce 2 graphics card, 40GB HDD, CD-RW and a big bulky 19" CRT. It was top of the line back then.

Ah nostalgia :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Spectrum 48K on a Christmas morning came with Manic Miner best Christmas Ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

A Sinclair Spectrum 48k back around 1985.
    I loved it, and I still have it in the attic. :)

Fave games were jet set willy, into the eagles nest,batty, some robot building game, and those text adventures.

It was a great little yoke for simple programming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I had an Amstrad CPC464. It was a glorious beast, with a green and black monitor and games like Harrier Attack and Match Day II. You only had to wait 10-30 minutes for them to load as well.

Amazingly I get more angry now when my computer freezes for 10 seconds than when I'd wait 30 minutes for a game to not work. At least then you knew it'd work eventually.
    Oh the memories... And the noise it used to make while loading :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Macintosh LCII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I had an Amstrad CPC464. It was a glorious beast, with a green and black monitor and games like Harrier Attack and Match Day II.

That just put a big smile on my face :).

Is the Gateway factory still unoccupied?

• Advertisement
Advertisement