Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your first computer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sflemings

Well my first game console was an NES that I got sometime in 1994 when I was only about a year old. Still play on that thing from time to time.

First computer I ever got was an old packard bell back around 2000. I remember my parents choosing to wait until after the millenium just in case the Y2K bug actually occured.
    It had a 1GHz AMD Thunderbird (It's as kickass as it sounds :p), 128MB ram, a geforce 2 graphics card, 40GB HDD, CD-RW and a big bulky 19" CRT. It was top of the line back then.

Ah nostalgia :)
    People own socks older than you in this forum! You were born in the good times! Back in the 80's we had green screens, tapes and cartridges!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Commodore 64 in like 1982/3 or something.
    Damn that was ages ago.
    Anyhow - this topic deserves a poll no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

My first was C64

But few years before that in high school I had a teacher who was well before his time - he arranged a course of the subject and had bought a computer with his own money - I'm not sure - but I think it was a Philips - it had a memory of 4 kb :)

Later he also brought some guy in who sold PCs at the time - I remember that guy telling us that the write-only-once 10 MB drive was so big that it could hold all the texts you wrote in your entire life so there was no need to write and erase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Whybin

The first computer I clearly recall was the beautiful Amiga 1000, scintillating 8-bit sound and only one floppy drive, so playing Cannon Fodder 2 meant swapping disks every few minutes.

I vaguely recall my brother owning an amstrad of some description, with a greenscale monitor and a depressing 80s boombox plugged in for ages just to load the original Lemmings or Batman:the movie.

Great days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

The first computer I ever owned was a Commodore 64 and I got it as a christmas present when I was about 7 or 8. I absolutely loved it. I still remember playing mario bros and pacman for hours and hours on it. The first PC type computer was an old compaq I got when I was around 13/14 with a 12" screen, a 16MB HD and it had window 3.1 on it. The computer started up in DOS mode and you had to type DOS codes to open up windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

ZX Spectrum +2. Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Apple II in 1979. Still in perfect nick and works including the 2 external 5.25" floppy disk drives. Have since upgraded it to 128k ram. I learned 6502 assembly, Applesoft basic and Fortran 77 on that pc :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_series

Flaccus wrote: »
    Apple II in 1979. Still in perfect nick and works including the 2 external 5.25" floppy disk drives. Have since upgraded it to 128k ram. I learned 6502 assembly, Applesoft basic and Fortran 77 on that pc :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_series

Wow I imagine thats worth some money ?

Anyhow for those Amiga enthusiasts who want to play their old favourite games again emulation software for this is brilliant. Check out Amiga Forever:
    http://www.amigaforever.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

comador 64 with tape deck !!! :eek:
    ow the loading ........ the loading......never again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pretty sure it was a TI99/4A, can't remember one before that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Lone Stone wrote: »
    comador 64 with tape deck !!! :eek:
    ow the loading ........ the loading......never again.

Ah but sometimes you had Invade-a-load to keep you busy:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Amstrad CPC6128, green screen but with discs, not cassettes!

We used it for the joys of Logo - typing commands to get the cursor to draw a square, or maybe a rectnagle if you were being extra ambitious.

We had a 4-disc set of 17 games - Roland in Time, Doors of Doom, trivial pursuit and the truly brilliant Supertest Day 1 and Day 2 - skijumping and cycling etc with chariots of fire music if you won.

I also remember the books with code you could type in for adventure games.

Ah but sometimes you had Invade-a-load to keep you busy:

Awesome:D Totally forgot about that!! Thou that guy needs to learn to shoot up thru his shields!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Awesome:D Totally forgot about that!! Thou that guy needs to learn to shoot up thru his shields!!

Hey.. the game could actually load at any moment... no time for subtleties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I had an Amstrad CPC464. It was a glorious beast, with a green and black monitor and games like Harrier Attack and Match Day II. You only had to wait 10-30 minutes for them to load as well.

Amazingly I get more angry now when my computer freezes for 10 seconds than when I'd wait 30 minutes for a game to not work. At least then you knew it'd work eventually.

My god the memories!!

Harrier attack was 3.5 minutes to load.
    Match day was brilliant with 2d characters that took 10 mins to go from one end of the pitch to the other
    We had those 2 plus Ghost n Goblins, Roland in the caves.Roland on the Ropes, Oh Mummy. Animal Vegetable Mineral, Manic Miner and Fruit Machine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

dilallio wrote: »
    A Commodore PET.

I remember when the pope came to Galway in 1979, people walked up to 15 miles to see him. I lived close to Galway and couldn't be arsed - I only wanted to play Lunar Lander on the PET.

Billiant! :D

My first PC was a 386, Olivetti I think. I remember my first game on it - Paperboy. Then my world changed forever when I got the shareware demo of Doom. Bought a Sound Blaster soundcard shortly after and couldn't believe my ears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭blackbox

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 16k.

Soon upgraded to a massive 48k.

Unlimited data storage space as long as you kept buying cassette tapes.

I still have it.

I also bought the dedicated printer (worked with electrostatic sparks to blacken the special metallised paper.

It was actually amazing how good the games for it were: those developers really managed to squeeze the maximum out of limited resources. No bloat in those days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

peasant wrote: »
    This
    mz700-1.jpg
    Sharp MZ 700 ..still have it :D

Haha, yeah, had the same. It's also still around gathering dust somewhere, as are some of the tapes that came with it.

Aah nostalgia. Actually think it was the MZ721 (had the built in tape player).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Compaq Presario 5BW284, It ran the first Half Life on full spec, I was happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

blackbox wrote: »
    Sinclair ZX Spectrum 16k.

Soon upgraded to a massive 48k.

Unlimited data storage space as long as you kept buying cassette tapes.

I still have it.

I also bought the dedicated printer (worked with electrostatic sparks to blacken the special metallised paper.

It was actually amazing how good the games for it were: those developers really managed to squeeze the maximum out of limited resources. No bloat in those days!

So true, one of my favourite games was Head Over Heels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Had an Amstrad 464 complete with Street Fighter 1, Strip Poker and Barry McGuigan's Championship Boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I got a commadore c64 back in 1990-91, didn't get my first pc until 1997. It was a Intel Pentium 100MHz, 16MB RAM, 1MB graphics card, 2GB HDD with windows 95. It was the bee's knee's back in them days. I still had it up to a few years ago, my mother sold it without asking me and only got 30euro for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

wayne0308 wrote: »
    my mother sold it without asking me and only got 30euro for it.

That's pretty good :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

pah wrote: »
    That's pretty good :eek:

I suppose it wasn't being used but having had it for so long... I was a bit p*ssed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Commodore 64 :pac:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

Worztron wrote: »

same here!! was gobsmacked when i got it at christmas, thought i was going to be side swiped for the rest of my childhood as far as getting a comp was concerned.

what i remember most was booking my mother ( sisters were younger and hence not allowed to smell the computer dont mind say touch it) four hours in advance as you had to wait for the tape deck thingy to load the game, and then it was an hour of Bubble Bobble and grabbing icecream cones and apples. oh and the blowing of bubbles, THE BLOWING OF THE BUBBLES!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My first was a Sinclair ZX 80

The best games machine to this day has been the Amiga 500 Plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Commodore 64 with a games cartridge, with Flimbos quest, international soccer, fiendish freddy's big top o'fun and klax.

Anyone else type in hours of code just to hear it make a ping or show a red dot and kepy getting "SYNTAX ERROR"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

and then it was an hour of Bubble Bobble and grabbing icecream cones and apples. oh and the blowing of bubbles, THE BLOWING OF THE BUBBLES!!
    Best theme song ever it's been stuck in my head for decades now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

acer 5930g

Late starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

The first computer in the house was an Amstrad PCW 8256 with a whopping 256k ram and a 4mhz processor
    We had one batman game with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

some compaq presario type thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A Vetec computer. I started young with computers! After that first home PC was a Dell not sure of the model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Im putting this to the people as a hole...

we all use computer, so times you read how some person got 8 cores 32 gigs of ram hd graphics card....

cool but you know theres a past....

mine started with an Acorn Electron :D I got a book with it called program your own games... i spent days years months well a day programing a game to two it was utterly shot but you know what these 1990s kid who grew up during the playstation period well :D

what was your first computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

486sx with 8MB Ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Amiga 500.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Commadore 64. Had to program a few games aswell. Moved on to a Fujitsu PC, with a 1.5gb hard drive and around < 128mb of ram.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Commadore 64
    then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

A Dell 386.

Hardware:

Intel 386SX CPU running @ 33MHz, 4mb ram, 40mb hard drive, 3.5" fdd & a 14" Dell Ultrascan colour monitor.

Microsoft Windows 3.1 and Microsoft DOS 5.0.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dont remember the first specs.. i did upgrade it though to a pII 233 with 32 megs of ram iirc and an actual 3d card
    **** was tight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

88Hz steam powered yoke. 2 bags of coal just to get it going. Basement just had to dug out when we were building the house just to make room for it but when she was going the waste haet would heat all the rads in the house.

It had a steam powered modem too. 3bps and there were only 255 IP addresses in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Commadore 64. Had to program a few games aswell. Moved on to a Fujitsu PC, with a 1.5gb hard drive and around < 128mb of ram.

very lah de dah! i started with a commodore 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sharp MZ700
    BBC Micro
    C64
    Amiga 500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

An abacus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Sinclair zx81
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

D wrote: »
    486sx with 8MB Ram
    Something v. similar myself

Packard Bell 486dx2 66MHz with 8MB RAM

Running Windows 3.11 (For Workgroups):cool: and MS-DOS 6.??

CD-ROM (Think it was 8x)

400 and something Mb hard drive. Was always amused that a single CD would hold nearly twice as much data as my "state of the art" PC!

Vaguely remember a cool skiing game that was preloaded on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Had a 386

then a 486 DX 266
    Then an atari 2600
    SNES
    Megadrive
    CD32
    Sega Saturn
    Playstation
    Sega Dreamcast
    PS2
    Xbox
    Xbox 360

There were more!

I now have a laptop and its sole purpose is boards... (and facebook)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Amstrad CPC 464.

Disk drives were for woofters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Amstrad CPC 464.

Disk drives were for woofters.

+1 boulder dash. Best game ever!

• Advertisement
Advertisement