Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your first computer?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

A spectrum 48k. oh the wonderful loading sounds.
    Then a 2nd hand 386 and then a mighty Amiga 500 (my friend had the 500+:().

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

First Compter 1980 aprox
    Fidelity Electronics Chess Challenger with z80 processor
    http://aartbik.blogspot.com/2010/08/fidelity-electronics-chess-challenger.html

first PC was 1992 aprox
    Philips 20 mhz 386sx 2 eg hard drive 3.5 inch floppy math coprocesser 4 mb ram ms dos 4.1 windows 3.0 Vga Monitor
    later added a sound blaster card

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/pc/h/philips.jpg

After that I built my own computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

44leto wrote: »
    My hard drive is starting to degrade:( it needs some defragmentation.

yeah to defrag it good n proper u'll need put yourself in safe mode (sober) and convert the FAT (Fat Arsed Tramp) to NTFS (Not Too Fecking Skinny) and then reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sausages79

Amstrad CPC 6128 with 128kb RAM :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Daith

Commodore 64

Learned to right basic programs on it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Daith wrote: »
    Commodore 64

Learned to right basic programs on it

ah basic,I remember learning that on my acer 286

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah to defrag it good n proper u'll need put yourself in safe mode (sober) and convert the FAT (Fat Arsed Tramp) to NTFS (Not Too Flabby Sham) and then reboot.
    No you don't to convert to NTFS to defrag.

Conversion to NTFS is one way only, you can't ever go back. Thankfully these days you can easily read files, but back in the day the only thing that could read NTFS was a working copy of windows.

Real pain if the computer would no longer boot because C: was full.
    'cos there was no Linux boot disks, no recovery mode, and even if you put the disk in another computer you had to worry about permissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

No you don't to convert to NTFS to defrag.

Conversion to NTFS is one way only, you can't ever go back. Thankfully these days you can easily read files, but back in the day the only thing that could read NTFS was a working copy of windows.

Real pain if the computer would no longer boot because C: was full.
    'cos there was no Linux boot disks, no recovery mode, and even if you put the disk in another computer you had to worry about permissions.

lol you missed the joke i was having regarding my first computer being my brain.... read back a few pages for the original post i made then the comment made by 44letto regarding defragging the hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Dudess wrote: »
    Sinclair Spectrum - connected to the TV and a tape player. The games were cassettes. Ear-splitting noise when they were loading. The little stick tennis game and Pacman. :pac: (obligatory)
    Those tiny hand-held games too. And a Space Invaders yoke.
    Exact same. Tape deck to computer and don't turn anything on or off in the whole house for fear of interrupting the current and walk softly because they took about 20 mins to load.

Here's a little something for you.

Sounds in that clip are like that of a dial-up modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

I did my first programming in COBOL on a AS400 IBM mini system in Moylish COACT. in Limerick in the early 1990s.

AS/400
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_System_i

• Advertisement

One place I used to work in still had one of these in 2004.
    index.php?title=Datei:A700MonitorPanel.png&filetimestamp=20070503072543

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Oooohh! I just had a Homer Simpson moment then looking at all those lights and buttons. I just can't find the "any" key. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Comeagain

Apologies, but it was the Oric. Then I graduated to the Spectrum and Commodore 64 and 128. Tried a bit of BBC micro and Amstrad, before resurfacing with a MAC in the real world. I still have a Performa 450 in the attic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

ShaunC wrote: »
    Oooohh! I just had a Homer Simpson moment then looking at all those lights and buttons. I just can't find the "any" key. :D

"I see Esc, Ctrl & PgUp." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A Vic 20. 3.5k RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Belfast wrote: »
    I did my first programming in COBOL on a AS400 IBM mini system in Moylish COACT. in Limerick in the early 1990s.

AS/400
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_System_i

Still use it sometimes :(

Atari ST woulda been the 1st in our house.
    Fcuking Dizzy

Advertisement