Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oughterard as satellite to Galway

Options
  • 13-03-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend Oughterard as a place to live; I have a small family and work from home, my girlfriend needs to access NUIG but not in peak traffic.

Is the town self sufficient in terms of shops and amenities, or would Galway still be the place for food shopping etc.?

Thanks,

Enda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I lived in Oughterard for a year a couple of years ago , i think its a great spot , its got some good pubs and places to eat. Its lively especially in the summer. Its great if you like the outdoors .

But it isn't the place you do your weekly shop in , you'd have to use the supervalu in Moycullen or head into Galway, which is half and hour away.

The reason we moved was because it was just that little bit too far out. Maybe have a look at Moycullen, Imho it hasn't the same charm but it is better located . and would be only a short spin to NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Go for it, it's a great spot - beautiful countryside and the lake at your doorstep, loads of good walks around the village. I'd agree with the previous poster that you might want to do your weekly shopping in Galway or Moycullen, but there are a couple of supermarkets and butchers. I can't comment on the pubs as I haven't visited them, but there are several.

If you only need to get into the city at off-peak times, and not every day, it's fine. I moved to Roscahill a year ago (between Oughterard and Moycullen) and I would never trade in the peace, quiet, space, lower rent etc to move back to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

As far as I know tesco on line delivers to Oughterard, so weekly shop may not be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 miss polly

I live in Oughterard and its a really great spot! I do agree though you would need to go to Moycullen or Galway to do your weekly shop but if your partner is in NUIG anyways could she not do the weekly shop after the college some evening? There is shops where you could get your small things and there is great butchers. It has a great community spirit and is lively during the summer unlike Moycullen. You also have a primary and secondary school there aswell as creche and playschools. There is the community centre with a gym and local clubs train there (basketball, badminton, boxing etc.) and there is a local gaelic and soccer team. And travelling to NUIG at off peak shouldnt be a problem as there wouldnt be much traffic. I would recommend it.

Also, yes Tesco Online do deliver to Oughterard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend Oughterard as a place to live; I have a small family and work from home, my girlfriend needs to access NUIG but not in peak traffic.

Is the town self sufficient in terms of shops and amenities, or would Galway still be the place for food shopping etc.?

Thanks,

Enda.

depends on what you are looking for. personally a lot of people I encountered there were cute hoors intent on fleecing tourists. its a kerry town in galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I also think it depends on where you're moving from. I'm a Dub and we lived in Oughterard for two years. The whole time we lived there not one person spoke to us. Except my neighbour commented on our tree annoying him - through the fence in the garden!
    Unless your family are bred there since the year dot, I don't think you would ever be allowed to "blend in" in Oughterard!
    Just my opinion, but Moycullen is more open-minded!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I also think it depends on where you're moving from. I'm a Dub and we lived in Oughterard for two years. The whole time we lived there not one person spoke to us. Except my neighbour commented on our tree annoying him - through the fence in the garden!
    Unless your family are bred there since the year dot, I don't think you would ever be allowed to "blend in" in Oughterard!
    Just my opinion, but Moycullen is more open-minded!

the same could be said about anz part of the country. the dubs themselves were not always welcoming towards 'culchies', but are happy thesedays if their neighbours can speak english. dubs are still regarded as being clannish.

Uachtard Ard has a lot of well heeled continentals living here who do not always want contact with the neignbours.

in pre Celtic Tiger times it was usual to introduce yourself to the neighbors when zou moved in.moycullen is not only within the city limits but G4, with more blow ins than natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the same could be said about anz part of the country. the dubs themselves were not always welcoming towards 'culchies', but are happy thesedays if their neighbours can speak english. dubs are still regarded as being clannish.

Uachtard Ard has a lot of well heeled continentals living here who do not always want contact with the neignbours.

in pre Celtic Tiger times it was usual to introduce yourself to the neighbors when zou moved in.moycullen is not only within the city limits but G4, with more blow ins than natives.
    For the record, I agree. That's why I left Dublin but naively expected different from Oughterard. We did introduce ourselves to the neighbours and in the local shop but they were obviously so sick of "blow ins" at that stage that they just looked at us as though we were barmy and didn't even acknowledge what we had said!!

Anyway, we're outta there completely and very happy on the other side of Galway now thanks.

Advertisement