Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions

• 13-03-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

What are your opinions about being the number one priority in the life of the person you're having a relationship with?

I was recently talking with a friend who was upset. She and her boyfriend had talked about priorities and he said that college came first, then family friends and her were on the same level after this. She was annoyed because she wanted to be his number one priority. In her opinion, it should be: her, family and friends, college. She is in her early 20's and in college, he is mid twenties and doing a masters, they have only been going out since late summer so I don't really understand what was wrong with what he thought.. As I see it, he's studying for his dream job and this masters will be with him for the rest of his life, whereas the relationship with my friend may not be.

In another situation, a then 19 year old friend dumped her boyfriend because she felt she was not the number one priority in his life, and that being number one should be expected. They got back together and she is currently early 20's, still in college and although she says she is no position to get married (as has been talked/joked about) for another few years, she still expects to be the number one priority in his life.

On a personal note, when I was 18/19, I got the chance to travel abroad for a year and my then boyfriend who'd I been with for 6 months or so was so angry that I was agreeing to go, saying "I hadn't even considered him" (which wasn't true).

It just seems that I am the only one who thinks that when you are in your late teens/early 20's and have other important things on like college, or the opportunity to travel, it's ok not to put a boyfriend/girlfriend on the top of your priority list, even above your family, especially when you have only been with them a few months.

I know that many couples meet at this age and stay together forever, and that others have married younger, but my reasoning is that when you are in your late teens/early 20's, you are much more likely to change your attitudes and opinions than when you are older and this means your preference for partners may change and relationships are more likely to end. My relationship with the guy who wanted me to give up my opportunity ended two months later!

I just thought you should only be number one in eachother's lives when you have been together for years and are extremely committed to eachother (living together if you can, and maybe marraige if you believe in it).

Does anyone share this opinion? Or do some of you think it's naive and that this is a normal adult relationship?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Oh god no, If a girl expected me to put her above my sister, I would probably laugh.

I mean, I don't love that I have to mind my sister all the time, but it's my number 1 priority to make sure she is happy, healthy and fed by circumstance rather than choice.

It would take alot more than a few months with someone to change that!

Then there are my friends, I love those guys, but with them it would depend on who I made plans with first and if I was getting laid, they would understand to a certain extent, if I kept flaking they would kill me.

Basically, someone who walks into your life and expects to be Numero Uno, isn't gonna just take that spot over night, not even over months. I absolutely hate when friends get a girl and aren't seen or heard from until they break up. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

I think the suggestion would be selfish in the extreme. Himself above everything else? No, and nor would it be realistic to demand it of him. Not a chance.

Now, there is an expectation that a person would consider you, take your views into account, what have you. But them above all, my means of earning a wage, my family who may be sick or dying, my own physical health? Hardly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

What are your opinions about being the number one priority in the life of the person you're having a relationship with?

I was recently talking with a friend who was upset. She and her boyfriend had talked about priorities and he said that college came first, then family friends and her were on the same level after this. She was annoyed because she wanted to be his number one priority. In her opinion, it should be: her, family and friends, college... As I see it, he's studying for his dream job and this masters will be with him for the rest of his life, whereas the relationship with my friend may not be.

I agree with you.

Sure, the person you're with should be important to you, you should value them and your time together, but I also think it's important to also have your priorities straight in life - you, your family,your friends, your education, your career* Those factors shouldn't be seen as less important or 'below' the person you're in a relationship with.

Personally, I can't see the day where I'd dub my OH as more important than my family or close friends - they've always been there for me and I trust that they always will. Where as, relationships aren't always permanent or long-term.

I think in some cases, making your partner your number 1 priority can be very dangerous - It can cause other aspects of your life to suffer. IE. falling behind on college work or work, losing touch with friends or family, choosing what your partner wants over what you personally want etc.

* = I'm giving those as examples of my own personal priorities. I know not everyone has a good relationship with their family, thus won't see them as a leading priority and that not everyone is concerned with having a good career etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

The people in the Op are obviously with partners that are 1. At different stages in their life and 2. Not on the same wave length as each other within their relationship.

Communication is a must and so is acceptance.

If I was ever with a girl and she complained about where she came in my list of priorities there's obviously a heart to heart needed.

For me, at the minute, it goes friends, family, relationships.

It's like this for me for the reason that being unemployed and out of college I see my family day in and day out and there's only a certain volume of them I can hack so when I have a chance to see friends I'll jump at it.

Relationships have always stayed below friends and family. My 1st GF asked me once who did I love more, her or my best friend. She wasn't happy with the answer but TBH she shouldn't have asked me such a question as my time with my best friend and my time spent with her never conflicted or crossed paths.

On the day my baby sis was born I text her saying "Mam had a girl". Her reply was "So, you're ditching me tonight?"

It depends on the relationship. If something like priorities is going to strain it to the extent where you're going to be angry or upset then go figure.

College and work would be priority for some people for the fact that they want to have money later in life to have a home, kids, marriage etc.

It's not a "I'm dumping you so I can do well in college". It's a "For now, college/work comes 1st so we can have a comfortable life in a couple years"

Granted, it depends if a relationship is going that way or not but, it's a bit childish expecting someone to make you number one when you're only together a year or two and they have been in college for 3 or more. Also expecting to be put ahead of life long friends is ridiculous. They've known you 2 years and their friends for 16/17+ of course they're going to choose them because they have more to lose in losing a friend than losing a partner of a year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KnocKnocKnock

Thanks for the replies everyone and Pikachucheeks and Bonito - it's as if you were both reading my mind :D

What's really disconcerting for me is the sudden change in mentality. That all through your teens, you are told not to let a relationship take over your life. Schools, magazines, parents/relatives preach about not losing touch with friends, not letting it distract you too much from studying, "living your life", travelling etc. As minidazzler mentioned, I remember a time when people were slagged for spending all their time with the OH.

So your told all this for the best part of a decade and, it seemed to me, that suddenly when you hit 20 this all goes window! It becomes perfectly acceptable to bring your OH along to everything, barely even walking to the local shop without them, giving up nearly every weekend to spend with them, and an expectation that you are number one ahead of any study, career or travel plans - you have a partner and everything else has to just fit in around him/her. Anyone who doesn't think like this is naive.

It only seems to get worse as you get older. It's expected that people with set up home with an Other Half who will be more important than family or friends. This is seen as part of being an adult but it makes me angry. Like pikachucheeks said, family and friends have been there your whole life, and suddenly when a partner comes along they have to just quietly accept a "demotion" to second place. If it comes to a feud or an choice, people are expected to just side with their partner. I've thought about this a lot, and what I came up with is that family and friends all fulfill some needs, but that partners fullfill fulfill all needs (love, companionship, sexual, emotional, security etc). So maybe that's an explanation, still makes me feel angry though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

he said that college came first, then family friends and her were on the same level after this. he is mid twenties and doing a masters, they have only been going out since late summer so I don't really understand what was wrong with what he thought.. As I see it, he's studying for his dream job and this masters will be with him for the rest of his life, whereas the relationship with my friend may not be.

Iv highlighted the important parts for me.

I am currently in a masters, im not in a relationship and if i happened to fall into one in the morning I would have to make it very clear that if they want a relationship with me, the next 6 months are going to be extremely difficult because my education right now comes first.
    I have invested alot of money,energy and time into this and i will continue to do so until it is finished. I would try my very best to accomodate them but I imagine it wouldnt always be plain sailing as a masters takes alot out a person, and i admire people in my class who are holding down the two successfully at the moment!

But besides the masters I would still not put someone top of my priority list, as the quoted poster pointed out, the masters (or morseo the result of it: the quality of your degree), friends & family are around permanently, whereas the relationship may not be and anyone who struggles to see this in a relationship is quite frankly a little naieve tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

My Fiance is definately hands down Number 1 in my life, and I love it like that. I am his No 1 to, we love each other, we do everything together and we know we will be together forever! He is my life! I don't care how sad that sounds to anyone else, this is my lifetime happiness investment!!!
    We met when we were reaching our mid 20's, I had college out of the way he was in the middle of his. We went through a lot together and will do.
    I love my family and he is my family!
    Granted being 19 or 20 is very young to put a partner as your number 1 priority, I think at that age my friends were my no 1's. But later on in life, your priorities do change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

In my life, number one will ALWAYS be me...no matter what. I was always told to look out for myself first, and others after and thats how I will always be. I may have a caring nature, but it is one of my core beliefs to look out for myself, AND it is one that is ingrained in genetics too...and as personality traits go, core beliefs can never be changed.

If i was going out with someone, i would have to make it clear to them about that, and if they dont like it, well i'm sorry but thats tough luck!

She Devil wrote: »
    My Fiance is definately hands down Number 1 in my life, and I love it like that. I am his No 1 to, we love each other, we do everything together and we know we will be together forever! He is my life! I don't care how sad that sounds to anyone else, this is my lifetime happiness investment!!!
    We met when we were reaching our mid 20's, I had college out of the way he was in the middle of his. We went through a lot together and will do.
    Granted being 19 or 20 is very young to put a partner as your number 1 priority, I think at that age my friends were my no 1's. But later on in life, your priorities do change.

Hey, thanks for the reply, it's interesting to hear it from this perspective.
    Would you count him as more important than your immeadiate family or your close friends? If so, can I ask why this is? What thought processes you go through?
    Why do you think this change of priorities happen?

I agree with you knockknock, there is no way that early on in a relationship a boyfriend/girlfriend should be your number 1 priority, but I also agree with She Devil in that priorities do change with time, in saying that, noone should ever demand to be someone's number one priority, it is very selfish imo.

• Advertisement

Would you count him as more important than your immeadiate family or your close friends? If so, can I ask why this is? What thought processes you go through?

Yeah I do consider him more important than my immediate family or close friends, don't get me wrong, I would drop everything to be with my immediate family or my friends at any time day or night! I love them all, but in a different way. My fiance is going to be there for me for everything, he is the person I go to when I am down, in trouble, or when I want to share something hilarious with. He is the one who gets me.
    I just couldn't imagine marrying someone who I didnt feel was number one in my life!!
    Although I am only nearing my 30's I have seen life in a horrible relationship with a person who put work first, who put going out with his mates first, who put his family first, who put everything first before me, felt like I was there for the sake of a habit!!
    Then I was single when my friends were my first and foremost!! Growing apart from said friends makes me realise that my family are always there.
    Now I have a baby on the way, obviously my partner and I are going to have to shift our No 1 Priority for our own family and our own baby!
    It works like that, I can never imagine a job coming before that.

I agree with you knockknock, there is no way that early on in a relationship a boyfriend/girlfriend should be your number 1 priority, but I also agree with She Devil in that priorities do change with time, in saying that, noone should ever demand to be someone's number one priority, it is very selfish imo.

I agree early on in a relationship no way should you invest all in a partner you barely know, and at any stage in a relationship nobody should demand to be number one priority, that would be way too possessive for my liking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I really don't think you can demand to be prioritised differently in someone's life than you are. You rank in their priorities the way you rank. If you're not happy, you can always take yourself out of the relationship, but you place where you place.

In my life, I don't deliberately rank my priorities, they just fall where they fall. My family and friends currently come first, then my extra-curricular interests, then my job, and so on. I don't have a career, but if I did it'd rank 1st or 2nd, at least for the next few years.

I can fully understand how your priorities change, and I believe that you don't deliberately decide to make a certain part of your life more important than it is - it is where it is, or if you decide to work on it more you have automatically increased its priority ranking and you want to give it the time it deserves under that ranking. I hope that doesn't sound calculating, it's not meant as such, it's just how I see things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I think your boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancée/spouse whatever should be your number one priority.
    Obviously, not at first as usually you're still getting to know each other.

But at some point in your relationship you both should feel strongly enough about each other to put them above everyone. This is the person you're choosing to spend your life and most intimate details with. They see you at every moment, be it good or bad.

I think the comment that friends are always there and relationships come and go is untrue. I've had friendships that have lasted since childhood and some that lasted 5/6 years and some that lasted 1/2 years. Friendships change too and may not last either. Relationships should be the thing that last forever.

When you consider your parents, who do you think is the most important person in their life? I certainly think my mother and father rank each other top, even above my brothers and sister. They're the ones who have built a life together and will continue it after all their children have grown up. Unfortunately for my dad, my mum is sick and he won't have the luxury of growing old with her. But I have no doubt that she'll always be number 1.

At some point in your life you need to prioritise your relationship and your partner should be top. I'm with my boyfriend for 6 years now and would class him as number 1. He's a friend as well as a boyfriend and he'll hopefully be my husband for years to come.

Just my view on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Doesn't it kind of depend entirely on the situation what you choose your priorities to be?

I don't think people (friends, family, and significant others) should be "prioritized," at least not in an "overall" sense. To me, they're all pretty much on the same level provided you know them well enough. At certain times certain people need more attention than others.

If it was down to petty stuff like going out for drinks with mates, I'd check with my significant other first, because I chose them to share all aspects of my life with (you know, provided I've been with them in the long-term sense) and I expect to do just that. And the significant other I choose would be okay with letting me have time with my mates, or would be joining us, so it wouldn't be an issue. But if it came down to choosing between an ill close relative or a perfectly fine significant other, then I'd obviously choose the relative.

I don't really get the question tbh. I've never seen it as a first/second/third place sort of thing. Just as a circumstance sort of thing. Default setting is significant other but everyone has their moments of need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The people outlined in the first post seem needy and insecure. I've never understood why some people feel the need to test relationships like that. That said some of the later posters seem equally callus and self centred.
    Personally, I can't see the day where I'd dub my OH as more important than my family or close friends - they've always been there for me and I trust that they always will. Where as, relationships aren't always permanent or long-term.

That day will come when you make a serious, life long commitment to someone and settle down to start a new family.
    In my life, number one will ALWAYS be me...no matter what. I was always told to look out for myself first, and others after and thats how I will always be. I may have a caring nature, but it is one of my core beliefs to look out for myself, AND it is one that is ingrained in genetics too...and as personality traits go, core beliefs can never be changed.

If i was going out with someone, i would have to make it clear to them about that, and if they dont like it, well i'm sorry but thats tough luck!

Seems like your setting yourself up for loneliness. If you never put someone else's needs before you own, then no one will ever put yours a head of theirs. This is something which is needed in a relationship.

What odd questions to ask. I'd think less of my brother if he told me that I was higher in his list of priorities then his wife and mother of his children. When you marry someone (or whatever other process which represents life long commitment) you're declaring that they are your new family, that your partner is the most important person and thing in your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Your mate seems immature tbh. She should read this thread.

Until the relationship reaches the stage where you are engaged then expect to be important but not THAT important.

After that you're family in my books and family always comes first.

Look at it this way- she is putting her bf above everything in her life- that is NOT healthy and don't care who the guy is.

What age are you, can I ask?

I think mid to late twenties is old enough to be making those choices.

Boston wrote: »
    I think mid to late twenties is old enough to be making those choices.

I think it totally depends on the person.

I made that decision in my late teens!

edit: my wording is probably wrong there, no "decision" was ever made. Just the way things happened.

• Advertisement

The people outlined in the first post seem needy and insecure. I've never understood why some people feel the need to test relationships like that. That said some of the later posters seem equally callus and self centred

That day will come when you make a serious, life long commitment to someone and settle down to start a new family.

Seems like your setting yourself up for loneliness. If you never put someone else's needs before you own, then no one will ever put yours a head of theirs. This is something which is needed in a relationship.

What odd questions to ask. I'd think less of my brother if he told me that I was higher in his list of priorities then his wife and mother of his children. When you marry someone (or whatever other process which represents life long commitment) you're declaring that they are your new family, that your partner is the most important person and thing in your life.

Callous and self centred? Ridiculously harsh, why does thinking they wouldn't be able to put a romantic relationship over family/friends/themselves make them callous? :confused: It's not like they are stringing anyone along. One poster said he would put himself before anyone else and that's his right, again, once he makes it clear to the potential partner than he's not doing anything wrong. Isn't it more self centred and callous to "demote" all the people who have been there your whole life to "second place" or even lower down the food chain?

I can completely understand loving people the same but in different ways, however I've found most people don't see it like this. There has to be some sort of hierarchy.

Odd questions :rolleyes:. I was asking questions about someone's perspective so I could understand it better. I can think of some reasons hypothetically myself of why you might put a person who you were very commited to, (you'll see this if you re read my first post, and I never once mentioned putting your wife and kids "below" family)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I think it totally depends on the person.

I made that decision in my late teens!

edit: my wording is probably wrong there, no "decision" was ever made. Just the way things happened.

+1

You can use a generalisation for a subject like this. It very much applies to each individual case

I was 19 when I started seeing my OH and as we spent more time together and our relationship developed and I began to consider him to be my future, and he for me. I'd be happy to say that after a year (well somewhere in between the year, two year mark), my plans and his plans became our plans and he and our life together became my priority. As She Devil said, your OH becomes your family (so really your family still comes first :P). For me, where he is, is home. We're three years together now and solid as a rock.

HOWEVER that is not to say if my sister or any of my nephews needed me I wouldn't be running to them without a second though. Who says I have to choose between?
    As Liah said, you go to the one who needs you most. And your loved ones will understand this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My number one priority changes according to who needs me most and why. Sometimes that's my kids, other times it's partner, other times it's family or friends. No-one automatically holds priority placing that trumps anyone else whatever the situation, I just don't rate my friends and family like that.

I don't like idea that just by virtue of being someones partner you must automatically become their No 1 priority and them yours. There are times when it is completely wrong and inappropriate for my partner to be my main concern - and likewise me, his. In fact, for example, I would think far less of him for refusing to keep his friend company on the anniversary of loosing a parent just because it happens to be the closest Saturday to my birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FoxInATreehouse

I agree with some of the posters that there is no set standard. People are going to have different experiences that require more or less attention, like school, work, etc. When people are at different life stages and in a relationship this can be difficult sometimes because they may not share the same priorities. I don't think relationships (whether with friends, family, or partner) should be ranked though. There should be give and take in relationships. I've been in a situation before where he felt all his needs and whims should be met, and he would withhold things or break promises if I didn't do what he asked. In this case, it wasn't healthy for either of us.

Personally I don't feel that my partner has to consult me or involve me all the time, but I do want to know that I do exist in their life. Ultimately I think that partners in a relationship should consider each other, but also be able to have an independent life as two people are going to have interests that differ. Of course, the degree of involvement in each other's lives will change as a relationship progresses. Like most things in life, what works for one person may not work for another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

It obviously does depend on the situation, but in theory, yes, my girlfriend will always be my priority.

I always find it a bit weird when people rank their family before an important relationship. My housemate was talking about a girlfriend one day - he loves her, wants to marry her one day etc etc but, in his exact words, "she'll have to accept that she will never be the number one woman in my life, my sister will always come first, and if she doesn't understand that she can f**k right off, I don't have time for that." I was horrified and to be honest do think less of him because of it. I found it frighteningly immature and a bit creepy. His sister is a successful, grown woman with her own life - and the idea that he would refer to her as his "number one woman" and always choose her over this girl that was supposedly the one he wanted to marry was shocking.

There is nothing more irritating as well than the "relationships come and go, but friends" adage. Friends come and go too. My best friends who I love are always going to be there - but they aren't going to be the one living with me, waking up with me every morning, raising children with me etc. for the rest of my life.

Callous and self centred? Ridiculously harsh, why does thinking they wouldn't be able to put a romantic relationship over family/friends/themselves make them callous? :confused: It's not like they are stringing anyone along. One poster said he would put himself before anyone else and that's his right, again, once he makes it clear to the potential partner than he's not doing anything wrong. Isn't it more self centred and callous to "demote" all the people who have been there your whole life to "second place" or even lower down the food chain?

I can completely understand loving people the same but in different ways, however I've found most people don't see it like this. There has to be some sort of hierarchy.

Odd questions :rolleyes:. I was asking questions about someone's perspective so I could understand it better. I can think of some reasons hypothetically myself of why you might put a person who you were very commited to, (you'll see this if you re read my first post, and I never once mentioned putting your wife and kids "below" family)

Let the record show you're the one whose getting into the specifics of what someone else has said. The end drop a relationship and go off travelling for a year is callous and self centred to put yourself always first is callous and self self-centred. Just because it's someone's right to do so, doesn't mean its something to be proud of.

As for your hierarchy, ask a mother which of her children she loves more, which one she puts first, see the response. People aren't little figurines which you can order just so every relationship is unique.

Walls wrote: »
    What age are you, can I ask?

What difference does it make to my opinion??

What difference does it make to my opinion??

It was a little unfair on my part, you were, in my opinion, so extreme in your attitude I didn't grant you much life experience. Please ignore.

Let the record show you're the one whose getting into the specifics of what someone else has said. The end drop a relationship and go off travelling for a year is callous and self centred to put yourself always first is callous and self self-centred. Just because it's someone's right to do so, doesn't mean its something to be proud of.

As for your hierarchy, ask a mother which of her children she loves more, which one she puts first, see the response. People aren't little figurines which you can order just so every relationship is unique.

Boston, you say every relationship is unique, which i agree with completely. Yet you condemed Pikachucheeks and Master of Nothing for not putting their OH first :confused: Is it not possible that their relationships are just unique too?

The first half of your post shows that you think quite strongly that the OH should be put first (from the way i read it,combined with your other posts, correct me please if i am wrong), but the second half you say people aren't figurines to be put in order?
    Sorry, i just find your post a little confusing.

• Advertisement

Boston, you say every relationship is unique, which i agree with completely. Yet you condemed Pikachucheeks and Master of Nothing for not putting their OH first :confused: Is it not possible that their relationships are just unique too?

The first half of your post shows that you think quite strongly that the OH should be put first (from the way i read it,combined with your other posts, correct me please if i am wrong), but the second half you say people aren't figurines to be put in order?
    Sorry, i just find your post a little confusing.

Firstly I did not condemn Pikachucheeks. Merely pointed out that at some point in her life things may change for her and that point will probably be when she makes a serious life long commitment. It isn't a failing or a condemnation that such a commitment has not yet happened. Master of Nothing says he has never put anyone else before himself, nor will he ever, that I think is a failing.

As for the rest of my post, I don't believe in ordering people, first or second, above or below. Frankly it's all a little pathetic. If someone is important to you, they they are important to you and you should care about how they feel and what they care about. But it should be reciprocated such that they recognise that there are also other things and people in your life which are vital for your happiness. Making you choose between these things is not the act of a loving person.

Anyone who asks the question, which is more important, me or your friends, me or your family, isn't worth the time of day since they're already envisaging a scenario where they'll make you choose.

Firstly I did not condemn Pikachucheeks. Merely pointed out that at some point in her life things may change for her and that point will probably be when she makes a serious life long commitment. It isn't a failing or a condemnation that such a commitment. Master of Nothing says he has never put anyone else before himself, nor will he ever, that I think is a failing.

As for the rest of my post, I don't believe in ordering people, first or second, above or below. Frankly it's all a little pathetic. If someone is important to you, they they are important to you and you should care about how they feel and what they care about. But it should be reciprocated such that they recognise that there are also other things and people in your life which are vital for your happiness. Making you choose between these things is not the act of a loving person.

Anyone who asks the question, which is more important, me or your friends, me or your family, isn't worth the time of day since they're already envisaging a scenario where they'll make you choose.

Thank you for clarifying! I understand where you're coming from a lot better now :)
    I actually completely agree with what you said there about if someone is making you choose. Nail on head as they say. My OH is number 1 to me but if he told me I had to choose between him or my sister or godson or so on, he wouldn't be the man i loved, because the man I love would never ask me to make that decision.

I was just worried cause your first post to Pikachu sounded a little definate and harsh, but you're above post sounds a lot fairer.
    As for Master of Nothing, well that's his battle to fight if he chooses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I don't know, I just hate the idea of "prioritising" the important stuff/people in your life ... it reminds me of when we were kids, "Well she's my first best friend, and then she's my second best friend, but you're definitely my third best friend after that ..." :D

I know that my fiancé will always be there when it matters, for the little things and for the big things, and he's already proven that so many times. And I would hope that he thinks the same of me. But then, I also do my best to be there for all of the people important to me - friends, family, etc - as does he. And I could never resent him for that, and I'm certainly never going to say to him "so who do you love more, me or your mother?!"

It just seems that there are so few situations in life where you're going to actually have to choose one person over another. It's totally possible to make time for everyone, and as long as your partner or whoever is spending enough time with you, then it shouldn't really matter if they spend more time than that with family or friends.

Boston,

I have to say, you seem to be going back on some things you said before, you also seem to have misinterrpreted some things I said so let me clarify.

Let the record show that I got into the specifics of what people said? What relevance does that have? :confused: Besides, I was replying to a post in which you quoted people and commented on their opinion so it could be said that you started that. You also described some of the posters as "callous and self centred" and then quoted pikachucheeks and Master of Nothing so it's clear to see why that could be seen as an attack on them.

You also say that dropping a relationship and going travelling for a year is callous and self centred. I'm not sure if you are referring to my story in my first post. As with most situations, it is not as black and white as that. If you re read the rest of the paragraph you will see that I was 18, we had been together for 6 months and he said I hadn't considered him but this wasn't true! I had made it clear to him that this opportunity would be coming up.

As for "my" heirarchy. I did not say that there is/should be a heirarchy. I said that some others think this way. I also never stated that every relationship is not unique. Again, you go back on yourself here. In your latter posts you say that people are not figureens who can be ordered, and that putting people in a heirarchy is stupid. But in earlier posts you contradict this. When pikachucheeks says that she can never see a day when she says her OH is more important than her family and friends, you said:

in the same post you also said:

When you marry someone (or whatever other process which represents life long commitment) you're declaring that they are your new family, that your partner is the most important person and thing in your life.
    So you yourself are advocating a heirarchy here.

I don't understand why your replies have such an argumentative tone, and why you feel the need to throw out insults, no one else has resorted to that. I was asking for opinions from both perspectives of this issue. I haven't attacked anyone or said that either side is "wrong". You seem to think I am attacking people in committed relationships but that is not the case and I invite you to show me examples of where you think I'm doing this so that I can clarify.

Monkey61 wrote: »

There is nothing more irritating as well than the "relationships come and go, but friends" adage.

I hate this too :pac:

Both types of relationships come and go. Both types have different aspects to them. Like you said, a partner will wake up with you every day and raise kids with you. A partner gives you the same companionship as a friend does, among other things.

Friendships can also be very deep and long lasting. It doesn't depend on changing levels of physical attraction (we've all seen threads on PI/RI where someone wants to end a relationship because they are not sexually/ physically attracted to the other person anymore). Also, you can lose touch with friends for months or even years, and then reconnect and have a great friendship again, this doesn't really work for relationships.

It's good to see that many feel there doesn't have to be a heirarchy, as I found this quite depressing. I think that since every type of relationship gives you something different, you can't compare them because you are not comparing like with like. I think you love all the people in your life in different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭MissIT

Hmmm..

Im kind of torn.

I never in a million years abandon my family or friends for a partner. I love them to bits and would do anything for them.. BUT if I feel strongley enough about a person to be in a relationship with them, I don't think it would wrong of them to expect to be well up on my list of priorities. And to be honest I would kind of expect to be well up on their list too. I would hate to just be an option for my partener.

It's not an easy question to answer. For me it wouldn't be so clear cut as making them my number one priority but making them important and make them feel important in my life. If they wern't I wouldn't be in the relationship in the first place.

• Advertisement

Boston,

I have to say, you seem to be going back on some things you said before, you also seem to have misinterrpreted some things I said so let me clarify.

Let the record show that I got into the specifics of what people said? What relevance does that have? :confused: Besides, I was replying to a post in which you quoted people and commented on their opinion so it could be said that you started that. You also described some of the posters as "callous and self centred" and then quoted pikachucheeks and Master of Nothing so it's clear to see why that could be seen as an attack on them.

You also say that dropping a relationship and going travelling for a year is callous and self centred. I'm not sure if you are referring to my story in my first post. As with most situations, it is not as black and white as that. If you re read the rest of the paragraph you will see that I was 18, we had been together for 6 months and he said I hadn't considered him but this wasn't true! I had made it clear to him that this opportunity would be coming up.

As for "my" heirarchy. I did not say that there is/should be a hierarchy. I said that some others think this way. I also never stated that every relationship is not unique. Again, you go back on yourself here. In your latter posts you say that people are not figureens who can be ordered, and that putting people in a heirarchy is stupid. But in earlier posts you contradict this. When pikachucheeks says that she can never see a day when she says her OH is more important than her family and friends, you said:

in the same post you also said:

When you marry someone (or whatever other process which represents life long commitment) you're declaring that they are your new family, that your partner is the most important person and thing in your life.
    So you yourself are advocating a heirarchy here.

I don't understand why your replies have such an argumentative tone, and why you feel the need to throw out insults, no one else has resorted to that. I was asking for opinions from both perspectives of this issue. I haven't attacked anyone or said that either side is "wrong". You seem to think I am attacking people in committed relationships but that is not the case and I invite you to show me examples of where you think I'm doing this so that I can clarify.

The relevance of my statement is this. I did not specifically attribute the labels of callous and self centred to any poster, but rather you extrapolated that from my post. So it was you, not I, who opened that can of worms. I think people should be free to post up how they feel and others should be free to say that in general some of the post they find distasteful. But I'm not going to allow my words to be turned against someone they where not intended for. In this case pikachucheeks. Her attitude is both appropriate and re-assuring.

You say I've contradicted myself because I advised that someday she will not place a greater value upon her close friends when compared to her life partner. It is your assumption that this means she will at some time place a greater value upon her life partner then her friends. These are not my words. It is my belief that the people closest to us should not be ordered in some crude cruel fashion. That one should recognise the intrinsic value of dear friends, family and parnters and attribute to each a measure of value which is unique to the specific relationship. Is a close friend more important then a lover? Well tell me this, can a friend fulfil the role of a lover? So why would one be more important then the other? It makes no sense to elevate one over the other. Which is more important to you, your hand or your foot, you eye or your ear? All are vital, the remove any one would diminish the whole. I may not be old, but I've lived long enough to understand the wisdom of balance.

Now, with regard the "the most important", It was a crude turn of phrase. The above is my logic, my brain speak. However, at my core I am a romantic. I believe in true love, I believe in soul mates, I believe another person can be your other half and you there's. When you find this person, they are your best friend, your closest confidant, your nearest family, your most passionate lover. You cannot exist without them, you do not want to exist with out them. They are your alpha and omega, relative to them nothing matters, no one matters. You would be as a slave on to them were their feelings for you not as deep. That is what the romantic in me feels.

Call it a contradiction, I call it life and love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

My OH and I are together just under 3 years and we both realise that college comes first. We live together and we love each other SO much but we also know that in order to secure the best future for ourselves then we need to achieve the most we can now.

I find it quite depressing that some people put their partners above their own educations. What happens if they break up with their OH and they realise they threw away their education for someone else who didn't/couldn't stick around? I'd be very disappointed in myself if I found myself in that situation.

Once me and my OH graduate, we will become higher up on each other's list of priorities. We've made long term plans of building our own house, marriage and children. On the other hand, I would never expect my boyfriend to remain with me if his family was in need. I also understand that in some cases his little sister will take priority over me - she is still his family even after we get married.

It's all about compromise. No single thing is someone's number one priority forever.

You say I've contradicted myself because I advised that someday she will not place a greater value upon her close friends when compared to her life partner. It is your assumption that this means she will at some time place a greater value upon her life partner then her friends. These are not my words. It is my believe that people closest to us should not be ordered in some crude cruel fashion. That one should recognise the intrinsic value of dear friends, family and parnters and attribute to each a measure of value which is unique to the specific relationship. Is a close friend more important then a lover? Well tell me this, can a friend fulfil the role of a lover? So why would one be more important then the other? It makes no sense to elevate one over the other. Which is more important to you, your hand or your foot, you eye or your ear? All are vital, the remove any one would diminish the whole.

Now, with regard the "the most important", It was a crude turn of phrase. .

I made the assumption only because you said in the same post that a life partner would be the most important thing/person in your life. If your wording of this didn't accurately express your opinion then fair enough.

The only thing I was calling a contradiction is that you said that the life partner would be the most important person/thing in your life and then later said that people can not be ordered and one cannot be given more importance then the others in your life.

As for the rest of the quoted text, I share those beliefs. Especially the bolded bit.

Thanks everyone, this was an interesting discussion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I think that different things and different people are priorities at different stages. Right now mine is college, while keeping everything else fairly balanced. If I decide I want to make a go of a career, then it'll be that for a while. When I get married my attention will be fully focused on my relationship (not that it would be ignored the rest of the time or anything), if I have children, they will take priority etc.

The thing you have to make sure to do is to find a way to juggle the rest while giving priority to something in particular. Like, most weekends are devoted to my OH, with college taking over during the week. Then the odd weekend I make myself the priority and just take it easy.

I can understand that people need to feel like they're the most important thing in someone else's life. And as long as it doesn't become obsessive and all-consuming, I don't really see the harm in it.

I made the assumption only because you said in the same post that a life partner would be the most important thing/person in your life. If your wording of this didn't accurately express your opinion then fair enough.

The only thing I was calling a contradiction is that you said that the life partner would be the most important person/thing in your life and then later said that people can not be ordered and one cannot be given more importance then the others in your life.

As for the rest of the quoted text, I share those beliefs. Especially the bolded bit.

Thanks everyone, this was an interesting discussion. :)

nah, I said people should not be order, not that there's some magical force stopping people from elevating themselves and others above their fellow humans. I'm well aware of the callous and self centred.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My number one priority changes according to who needs me most and why. Sometimes that's my kids, other times it's partner, other times it's family or friends. No-one automatically holds priority placing that trumps anyone else whatever the situation, I just don't rate my friends and family like that.

I don't like idea that just by virtue of being someones partner you must automatically become their No 1 priority and them yours. There are times when it is completely wrong and inappropriate for my partner to be my main concern - and likewise me, his. In fact, for example, I would think far less of him for refusing to keep his friend company on the anniversary of loosing a parent just because it happens to be the closest Saturday to my birthday.
    This pretty much. For me its a fluid not static thing. Entirely dependent on who needs my priority at the time.

I would agree with others when they say that ones partner is or should be up there with others in your life you love, like family and friends. Obviously this depends on the seriousness of the relationship, but something that you see as a long term commitment? Defo. For me anyway. That partnership if its a lifetime thing is about the most important relationship in your life.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    For me its a fluid not static thing. .

+1

not thats theres some magical force stopping people from elevating themselves and others about there fellow humans..

Are you suggesting someone else said this? Because I didn't see it... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Your other half becomes the priorty in your life when you are willing to make a life long committment to that person, you cannot make a committment to someone until you are ready to put them above everthing else in your life, thats my opinion anyhows :D

Advertisement