Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Storage Heaters

Options
  • 13-03-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭

So the winter is coming to an end. It was a harsh winter which wasn't helped by the fact that my house has storage heaters instead of gas/oil central heating. I'm sick of them. They're not that warm and they are bloody expensive. Last bill was 580 euros!

So, I'm planning ahead for next winter and wondering could anyone tell me a good alternative to storage heaters. I'm thinking of buying 2 or 3 of those electrical oil filled radiators and putting them on timers so they come on in the morning rather than being on all night.

Are they cheaper? Are they good? Is there anything better that I don't know about?

Thanks....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you'll be paying at the higher-rate .if you switch to plug-in heaters in the morning

the combis with a devireg(controller) and room stat fitted give more flexibilty

prob best to look at a boiler and insulation options

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

yes but an hour at the higher rate is better than all night at the lower rate.

I didn't understand the rest of what you said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

budgemook wrote: »
    So the winter is coming to an end. It was a harsh winter which wasn't helped by the fact that my house has storage heaters instead of gas/oil central heating. I'm sick of them. They're not that warm and they are bloody expensive. Last bill was 580 euros!

So, I'm planning ahead for next winter and wondering could anyone tell me a good alternative to storage heaters. I'm thinking of buying 2 or 3 of those electrical oil filled radiators and putting them on timers so they come on in the morning rather than being on all night.

Are they cheaper? Are they good? Is there anything better that I don't know about?

Thanks....

IMO it is a runner - Following the severe weather I bought a few thermostatically controlled fan heaters, as a back up in case the gas central heating packed it in, and also to check how effective electrical heating would be as an alternative. I took 'before and after' meter readings to check the cost on a daily basis. Day rate works out at approx 20 cent per KW hour. I was using 25 units (kw hrs) on really cold days which represents 5 Euro per day. Other days 15 / 20 units. So X 60 days = 250 Euro ballpark.

With electricity you can't afford waste, so smart use is essential - timers and thermostats and only heating rooms as required!!! Also check the immersion heats the water as required - not left on all day, and eliminate any draughts in rooms.

I can't say for any house what the cost would be - but you can work it out yourself using the method I've described. There are oil filled rads with thermostats and programmable timers on the market - Lidl's had them on sale a few months back.

if you're out of the house 'office hours'-the 'instantaneous' fan heaters might suit as a lot of the stored heat from NSH will be wasted alright .

the output flaps on the storage heaters can obviously be adjusted if thats any use-to let the heat out

Thanks for replies.

I know all the features of my storage heaters, they're still crap though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Check out electric-heaters.ie

Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I live in an apartment and the first thing I did when I moved in was to throw the storage heaters out. As already mentioned, if the apartment is empty during the daytime, then nearly all the heat was a waste. I'm lucky in that my place doesn't need much heating, I use a plug in oil radiator when I need heat. You could look at a portable gas heater like one of these http://www.calorgas.ie/calor-and-your-home/mobile-heaters/

I live in an apartment and the first thing I did when I moved in was to throw the storage heaters out. As already mentioned, if the apartment is empty during the daytime, then nearly all the heat was a waste. I'm lucky in that my place doesn't need much heating, I use a plug in oil radiator when I need heat. You could look at a portable gas heater like one of these http://www.calorgas.ie/calor-and-your-home/mobile-heaters/
    How do you find the oil heaters? Expensive or cheap? I find Gas makes it hard to breathe

how much are they for say a 2kw model:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fabvista

I too am in an apartment and am fed up cost/performance of storage heating and am looking at alternatives. Has anyone any experience of using the Farho electrical heaters?

• Advertisement

for heat during 'office hours' 9-5 the storage heaters are prob more efficient
    than any 'peak input' alternative

you might be able to swop out bedroom 'panel heaters' for the farhos

and mix regular storage heating with farhos in the living areas (similar to standard combi heater /wallstat arrangement)

would take a while to claw back the money

i certainly wouldn't bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fabvista

Ok. Thanks for info.

Advertisement