Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR lightswitches - worth it?

Options
  • 13-03-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just back from italy and they had PIR light switches all over the place instead of manual switches.

I'm currently rewiring a house and am wondering about putting these switches into all the secondary rooms, which at the moment have lights constantly switched on during the day. These are bathrooms, utility rooms and hallways etc.

We will also be setting up tyhe sitting rooms etc to contain a 5A circuit which all table lamps will run off.

I'm beginning to think that if all these lights were on PIR then the annual saving on the ESB bill would be huge.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

For me the only place I can see these as being useful is the hallway. In a room like the sittin room I can see little reason to use them but somewhere like the hallway makes sense for me. Bathrooms also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

No doubt about it. In hallways and bathrooms, maybe a utility room.

Make sure you get good ones. There are absence detectors out there which will detect when you are not in the room and not just work off your movement.

They are more expensive, but much less annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Does anybody have any idea on how these switches would impact the ESB bill?

How bad would it be to have them in every room? Would it be annoying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

hallways,bathrooms ,utilitys etc. they're very useful

more for the convenience than saving i'd say

pir/led will work well and prob some of the high-frequency 2d fittings as well

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

i would call them occupancy detectors. buy a decent brand like steinal or beg and you should have no probs. they come in all shapes and sizes depending on their application, ie flush, surface and the area they cover.
    once they detect movement they switch on and start a countdown but everytime they detect movement the start the countdown again which means once your in the room and moving about they the light remain on, unlike a conventional pir which will switch off after its set time.
    one downside is if your sitting in a room and you dont move cause your reading a book or whatever the lights will go out, but some extra switching could sort that out

• Advertisement
Advertisement