Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MEDIA STUDIES

Options
  • 13-03-2010 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

So basically,
    im a 3rd year student. I want to do photography,journalism,radio presenting after school, but i got a problem. I have no idea what media studies is, how many points you need and what grades you need for it. I've looked at qualifax and i dont get it at all. It's really confusing.
    Anybody able to help me out?,
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

NUI Maynooth offer a course in Media which is around the 425 mark and DIT have a media course which is about 445 and they include everything you said except Photography. Photography is a different and is done by DIT and IADT to name a few.

Also your only in third year, so keep your options open because you have at least two years or possibly three years ahead of you to change your mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭schoolboy082

thanks for the post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Ya I'm interested in pretty much the same((Just at filmmaking :) ))
    Does CIT's Multimedia cover film making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭schoolboy082

Don't have a clue lol

Seloth wrote: »
    Ya I'm interested in pretty much the same((Just at filmmaking :) ))
    Does CIT's Multimedia cover film making?

I also don't know, you would have to check qualifax or ask Guidance Counsellor for info about Film making. AFAIK IADT do a course involving Film Making but it is restricted entry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I go to a grinds school with out one blah..will ask the principal though

Seloth wrote: »
    I go to a grinds school with out one blah..will ask the principal though

That is strange. Look up qualifax and type in film making and see what courses come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Freckles..!

So basically,
    im a 3rd year student. I want to do photography,journalism,radio presenting after school, but i got a problem. I have no idea what media studies is, how many points you need and what grades you need for it. I've looked at qualifax and i dont get it at all. It's really confusing.
    Anybody able to help me out?,
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

I dunno if you can get a course covering all those but from my own experience, with radio, you have to put yourself out there.
    For 4th year, MAKE SURE you try and get work experience in radio but it is difficult.

There is a PLC course for 1 year in Dun Laoghaire College of Further Education, and they also do an evening course in radio which costs 350 euro. As far as I know they have a radio course for teens who are still in school too.

I do English, Media & Cultural Studies in IADT. This can get ya into journalism. I was going to do Journalism in DIT but i thought it would limit my career opportunities if i changed my mind on the journalism thing, but my course focuses on writing later on in the years. We also do a couple of media modules. We study film, literature, critical theory etc.

I would agree with the poster above though that you have plenty of time to make your decision. But I would get e-mailing those radio stations as soon as you get into 4th year! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I'm a first year in Colaiste Dhulaigh studying Media Production and Communications.

It's great, you study photography, tv production AND radio production aswell as a few other modules. Incorpoates everythings, it's a brilliant course and you get a fetac level 5 after one year, diploma after three years and can do a fourth year in the uk to get a degree.

Colaiste Dhulaigh also do a film production course and a journalism course.

Advertisement